JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Chicago Police Department held an event over the weekend that paid residents to turn over their guns.

The event, held at Saint Ida Church in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood on Saturday, gave residents a $100 prepaid gift card for each gun they turned in and $10 for BB-guns, air-guns, and replica guns, WFLD-TV reported.

Chicagoans who attended the event were not asked how they acquired the guns if they turned them in, and there was no limit to how many guns each person could exchange for a gift card.

A spokesperson for the Chicago Police Department said that 103 firearms were turned in during the event along with 19 replica guns.

"Gun turn-ins give the people the ability to turn in a gun with no questions asked." Glen Brooks, director of community policing for the Chicago Police Department, told the outlet. "We're not asking whether the gun was found, whether it was left, whether you inherited it, it does not matter. What matters is that you do whatever you can to make yourself and your family safer." Did you hear that? No guns makes you safer.

The guns will be destroyed by the Chicago Police Department and anyone who was unable to make the event is being encouraged to turn guns in at the police station, but they will not be eligible to receive a gift card.

This is nothing new;- various municipalities have been doing this for decades.
If people wish to VOLUNTARILY turn in weapons for a paltry $100, that's their business.

Sounds like a good way to get rid of a murder weapon.
My guess is that they accept the guns in such a way that they can track them to you, and there will be lots of questions if a gun turns out to be stolen or involved in a homicide. If you believe the no questions line there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

My guess is that they accept the guns in such a way that they can track them to you, and there will be lots of questions if a gun turns out to be stolen or involved in a homicide. If you believe the no questions line there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Exactly. There's no questions at the time you turn it in, but there will be plenty of questions after they run some forensics on it and find a connection.

I also don't believe all the guns will be destroyed. My guess is all the Jennings and POSes will be destroyed. But if there's a pristine Colt Python in there it will go home with someone in the program.

:s0114: Only $100 per gun? Id piss on that offer.
Not even my cheapest firearm was a mere $100 that I can remember..

If they actually wanted to make a difference they'd be paying much, much more..
$100 per gun.. what a joke. And criminals make x4 to x10 selling it amongst themselves on the street. These anti gun loons should be publicly mocked for their lowball offered amounts acting like they want to make a difference knowing full well criminals make more selling guns illegally than turning them in. Some would argue this is all by design.

Sounds like a good way to get rid of a murder weapon.

So here is the problem. Politicians, not the police, decide to have these events. They nearly always have the, "No ID needed, no questions asked," policy attached. So they either don't check and crooks turn in their murder weapons, or they do check and run ballistics while taking video and scribing license plate numbers, find a gun used in a crime and guess what? The POLICE are liars and can't be trusted. There is no win with this for the police. Thanks, politicians, for either helping to destroy evidence (that is a crime by the way) or adding to the destruction of trust for law enforcement. Nothing new.

What if the serial# happens to have been ground off?

I have this old Rohm .25 caliber pocket gun. It was given to me some years ago for helping an old gal sell a couple of her husbands guns. This little POS pot metal wonder is a real dandy! But I'm not sure it's worth only $100.00 for having to stand in line with the likes of people that believe in this kind of B.S.

The Chicago Police Department held an event over the weekend that paid residents to turn over their guns.

The event, held at Saint Ida Church in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood on Saturday, gave residents a $100 prepaid gift card for each gun they turned in and $10 for BB-guns, air-guns, and replica guns, WFLD-TV reported.

Chicagoans who attended the event were not asked how they acquired the guns if they turned them in, and there was no limit to how many guns each person could exchange for a gift card.

A spokesperson for the Chicago Police Department said that 103 firearms were turned in during the event along with 19 replica guns.

"Gun turn-ins give the people the ability to turn in a gun with no questions asked." Glen Brooks, director of community policing for the Chicago Police Department, told the outlet. "We're not asking whether the gun was found, whether it was left, whether you inherited it, it does not matter. What matters is that you do whatever you can to make yourself and your family safer." Did you hear that? No guns makes you safer.

The guns will be destroyed by the Chicago Police Department and anyone who was unable to make the event is being encouraged to turn guns in at the police station, but they will not be eligible to receive a gift card.
Bet my 401K not a single one of those roscoes was acquired legally. Well, at least Chicago has 0.01% fewer illegal firearms on the street.

I'd seriously love to show up at one of these events with a .50 BMG. "Ah, just kidding I'm not turning this in... pretty cool though, huh?"

So here is the problem. Politicians, not the police, decide to have these events. They nearly always have the, "No ID needed, no questions asked," policy attached. So they either don't check and crooks turn in their murder weapons, or they do check and run ballistics while taking video and scribing license plate numbers, find a gun used in a crime and guess what? The POLICE are liars and can't be trusted. There is no win with this for the police. Thanks, politicians, for either helping to destroy evidence (that is a crime by the way) or adding to the destruction of trust for law enforcement. Nothing new.
I kinda doubt a bad guy would turn in a murder weapon at one if these events. At least, I wouldnt. I'd dismantle it and drop the pieces in a river. Or better yet the ocean if one was handy.

To really make a difference in crime, pay someone 500.00 to sign a pledge to never sell drugs,do harm to, or rob, rape or steal from another human being. This would work exceptionally well in S.L., Chi town or new Orleans. Just watch the crime rate fall!

Sounds like a good opportunity to stand near the line and watch what people show up with, and offer them more than the buy-back price if anything good shows up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top