Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

You old guys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Just Jim, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

So retired 2 years ago and find myself enjoying those things from my youth. Listen to the solid gold clasics, golden oldies and it brings back fond memories of my youth. Shooting the old guns that played a big part of growing up like old sixguns. Riding motorcycles and driving jeep just like a kid, never knew not having a boss was going to be so good.

So what gun brings back those memories?

2. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've been retired for 13 years. I just got a 10/22 last year, just as fun as it ever was.:p

3. Just Jim

Just finished an old movie called "Sailor of the King", fine old war movie with a real hero. Like to try a German bolt gun just to see what it was like.

4. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

My dad's and grandfather's Western Field 22's are actually a re-badged Mossberg single shot bolt and a Stevens tube fed semi-auto. They both make me think of those who've gone before me.

My personal faves bought new are early revolvers and the 12 ga pump.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Just Jim likes this.
  5. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

Great thread; I failed at retirement the 1st time, did it right 5 years later (2009).

The "issue" equipment seemed bland when I was in the service, now it is the "issue" stuff I can't seem to get enough of. :rolleyes:

I still have an unopened can of Ham and Eggs.

The mere thought of an AR reminds me of the tower script on the rifle ranges.......

"LOCK AND LOAD ONE 20 ROUND MAGAZINE, WATCH YOUR LANE".

Then I recall the truckloads of ammo
    Then I recall the sound of the buffer spring.
    Then I recall the idiots (some safety NCOs) with the ram rods; slamming the bolt-face because it looks and sounds cool.
    Then I recall the hours of cleaning rifles and conducting inventories....maybe getting home around midnight.

Time to wake up now.

Slobray and U201491 like this.
  6. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

You are only old if you are that way in your mind. :)
    Favorite guns.
    The old Sharps and All Farquarsen Falling blocks with big bores and long arching ranges. They kick wind in the azz :)
    For the times we face, the 30 and the 5.56 in abundance but not favorites but just necessary.

7. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

A Steyr Mannlicher? 8x56R?

U201491 likes this.
  8. Just Jim

Mauser 98..:D

Rick4070, U201491 and JRuby like this.
  9. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

My '94 Winchester .30 WCF that my father bought me as my first deer rifle when I was 10, about 48 years ago.. Also, his JC Higgins semi-auto .22 rifle, (actually a High Standard,) that he used to put a lot of meat on the table for the family, and a Sears, (Winchester) .22 bolt action rifle that was a Christmas present when I was about 9 or so...
    I still got 'em all....

Slobray and U201491 like this.
  10. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

Sporter 98, my first deer rifle. Biggest buck I ever took was at age 12 with this rifle. I was at at deer camp/cabin with my Dad and a bunch of his lawyer/Dr. buddies and my deer was the biggest taken that year. He was so proud and I was so lucky.

11. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

You mean a mule-kick dispenser?

elsie

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

13. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

At 12 years old. I just new I could take on the world with my 94 Winchester in 30-30!;)
    Maybe the reason I have four pre-64's today? Plus one in 22magnum and one in .375 Winchester.

Then there is the 30 carbine my Grandfather gave me.
    It also started a collection.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  14. Just Jim

I really like the old guns, they are a piece of history that a lot of us old guys lived. They were are part of hunting and target shooting, those wonderful days gone by that you can relive by shooting them again. A part of the movies with our heros useing them for the right reasons.

That old Mossberg 22, so old it has no serial number but still puts the shots so close together. Bolt action with fit and finish that allowed regular people to own one.

15. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

The older the better.
    Like this 1946 flat band I bought from a member.

I love guns with a worn finish, There just more interesting to me.
    Now I wouldn't tell my Dr. this. But they talk to me.

They tell me there story.

DSCN3337 (2).JPG

16. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

I have a '92 Winchester .32 WCF, rifle, octagon barreled, and if I read the serial number right, was made in 1896, that I wish would talk to me...
    It has a groove worn into the wood of the wrist, right behind the lever and some other marks that makes me wonder how they got there.
    It is also missing the loading gate.
    I know that I could get a new one, but the old rifle is pretty cool as is, at least to me...
    I'm not really sure where this rifle came from, it has been in the family since before I was born, and my dad never told me how he got it, or if it was from my moms side of the family, or what. It has always just "been there."

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.