JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I keep seeing in rifle classifieds that the seller states Washington resident or Oregon resident only...People you are allowed to sell long guns across state lines without FFL involvement as long as you are doing a face to face transaction!!!!

recently I went up to Vancouver for a rifle sell. me and the buyer where under the impression all gun sales must be through a FFL when involving neighbor states...I drove an hour to meet at the preferred FFL. long story short the owner of the store said he can take our money to do the ffl stuff but you don't need to do this. so we both said thanx in amazement and walked away...we finished the sale at the licensees premises

so i didn't leave it at that. i did some google searching and
long guns face to face private transaction is totally legal???

EDIT.....some language changes for ummm reasons

Last Edited:
I keep seeing in rifle classifieds that the seller states Washington resident or Oregon resident only...People you are allowed to sell long guns across state lines without FFL involvement as long as you are doing a face to face transaction!!!!

recently I went up to Vancouver for a rifle sell. me and the buyer where under the impression all gun sales must be through a FFL when involving neighbor states...I drove an hour to meet at the preferred FFL. long story short the owner of the store said he can take our money to do the ffl stuff but you don't need to do this. so we both said thanx in amazement and walked away...we finished the sale in the parking lot

so i didn't leave it at that. i did some google searching and sure enough its the truth.
long guns face to face private transaction is totally legal
If you did the research then provide the link to the government document that states this please.

Please tell us how you got around the ATF document other than simply being ignorant of the law (which is no excuse to ATF) and believing an FFL that told you it was Okey-dokey .

<broken link removed>

I'd like to see your source as well. All the info I found when I researched before said that you can use an FFL in OR or WA but have to go through an FFL regardless.

I'm guessing the FFL was confusing that an individual can purchase a long gun from a neighboring state with F2F transactions. I would delete my post if I was you... The ATG doesn't take kindly to any infraction. Also, the Obama justice department is very likely to go after you instead of real criminals.

Like others here, I'd like to see your sources. Besides the "FFL" whom I believe was confused and gave incorrect info.

Not that it should be illegal... State lines should make no difference in a face to face firearm sale.

Yeah I recall Cass Sunstien telling his minions to infiltrate chat rooms and bulletin boards as a means of sewing misinformation, which in this case, would result in an investigation that would seize the computers at the address of the offender and all the data there-in. It would be fun seeing this case prosecuted. Karma is such a B*tch

Please tell us how you got around the ATF document other than simply being ignorant of the law (which is no excuse to ATF) and believing an FFL that told you it was Okey-dokey .

<broken link removed>

to be honest I did read this but am reading it differently than before...but this interests me.
"
(b) Shall not apply to the transportation
or receipt of a rifle or shotgun
obtained from a licensed manufacturer,
licensed importer, licensed dealer, or
licensed collector in a State other than
the transferee's State of residence in
an over-the-counter transaction at the
licensee's premises obtained in conformity"

so i read this as, example..... i bought a shotgun at a licensed dealer in my home state, so now im legally allowed to sell across statelines because its a longgun purchased though a licensee at one point...why would they leave out handguns in this statement then...

its amazing that one of the most popular and widely known gun stores in southern Washington is telling me this...if its in fact wrong...

the language in the this section makes it seem like i an Oregon resident cant buy a handgun at a dealer in Washington which the guy at this FFL said he does all the time...

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30

so i can sell a long gun to an out of state as long as its on a licensees premises but no official transfer is required???

I think it is saying from the licensee at his premises?

The beginning "A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State" would indicate to me that the second part is implying you can buy one out of state in person from a licensee at his premises.

I just dont get why this is so frigging hard to understand.

Private party sales across state lines that DO NOT involve an FFL holder to do the transfer are ILLEGAL, PERIOD.

A little farther down there is says that a unlicensed person can send another unlicensed person in his own state a rifle or shotgun through the US mail. I was unaware of that?

If you are allowed to buy a handgun from a licensee across state lines then both posts I quoted would have handgun included in the language. ..but it doesnt so technically you can't buy a handgun from a licensee across state lines?

If you are allowed to buy a handgun from a licensee across state lines then both posts I quoted would have handgun included in the language. ..but it doesnt so technically you can't buy a handgun from a licensee across state lines?
long guns only, handguns must be in state....there is an exception for gun shows.....either way, all sales across state lines must go through an FFL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top