JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dropped: abandoned, discontinued, or discarded.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Looks like someone already beat me to the drop.

Last Edited:
Dropped: abandoned, discontinued, or discarded.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Looks like someone already beat me to the drop.
It has more than a single meaning, it is an example of a homonym

It has more than a single meaning.
It does, but take this as an example, "the police dropped the charges against the defendant". Did the police just charge the defendant or let the defendant off the hook? Likewise, "The AFT dropped new brace rules". Did the AFT remove the proposed brace rules or did they add new ones?

It does, but take this as an example, "the police dropped the charges against the defendant". Did the police just charge the defendant or let the defendant off the hook? Likewise, "The AFT dropped new brace rules". Did the AFT remove the proposed brace rules or did they add new ones?
Context matters and makes all the difference. The English language is stupid, too many rules and exceptions to those rules.

I was thinking about this some more and realized when I was reading my email...

I think what caused the shift in use was those companies that started using the term "DropBox"... subscribe to our "manly thing dropbox" and for $9.99 per month we'll ship you a box of stuff hand picked by our staff.

Which then implied that a new amazing thing would be dropped off monthly.

And this is when I think these highly enlightened individuals stated using a simple word to mean a new thing is starting.

But for those of us in the Gen X and older, had already dealt with the "pick out 10 CDs for $1.00 and we'll send them to you (signing you up for monthly shipments)" so we didn't fall for this new fangled advertising and so never associated "drop" with starting to receive something new.

Here's an example that makes it simple. In Rugby, if you drop the ball it's still live, but in Football, if you drop the ball it's dead.

For me, "drop" will always have negative connotation.

If you start a post as "SCOTUS will drop the FRT Ruling" I'm reading that as THE SCOTUS IS DROPPING THE HAMMER ON LOWER COURTS 2A INFRINGEMENT"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top