JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife asked me last night if I saw someone in one of our cars what would I do. ( some J@CK A$$ got in her car and took her 200-300 dollar sun glasses and air fresheners out of her car last night ) I told her I would grab the Glock 17 and at least one of the dogs and go introduce myself to them while she calls the cops AND gets the Mossberg out of the safe. here is my problem she said she would stop me from taking one of the dogs. she said she does not want them hurt. i say better one of them then me tho right and I just got this look like she wasn’t sure :huh: I know deep deep down inside she was kidding. So here is my question. Do you have a plan worked out on who does what if you need to confront someone or thing out side of your house or are you going to just play it by ear? And have you discussed it with your significant other or members of the family?

Good. End up like the guy who shot a guy robbing his car in washington. You'll be lucky if you get the sentence he did, but you'd never legally own a gun again.

If someone were outside, I'd grab the shotgun incase they'd try to get in.

Fixed that for you.

Considering I don't live in WA, and I am able to defend myself and my property with lethal force if necessary...yeah. My plan rocks. Letting some car prowler get away gives that person confidence in coming back...possibly to get in the house. Guns as a deterrent? You betcha.

I'd advise talking to a lawyer and looking over the Oregon statues on legal force before deciding about using lethal force to defend property outside of your dwelling.

Fixed that for you.

Considering I don't live in WA, and I am able to defend myself and my property with lethal force if necessary...yeah. My plan rocks. Letting some car prowler get away gives that person confidence in coming back...possibly to get in the house. Guns as a deterrent? You betcha.

And if he's going to come out and flash a gun he better be prepared to use it. And then it will become a case of he un-necessarily brought a lethal confrontation to suit his ego. It will not go well in court.

Also, he could end up getting shot by a trigger happy bandit.

No piece of property is worth a potentially deadly confrontation. I would grab the shotgun and call the police. I would only confront a burgler with a gun if he was trying to get into my house.

What's the point of calling 911? By the time they show up your car or stuff is long gone. I don't really want to go into details but I had a situation along these lines several years. The POS took off when he realized all I was gonna do was call the cops. The cops showed up an hour or so later. After forking out $500 to fix my window......if there is a "next" time.....the BBD (big black dog) is gettin' called right before 911. His response time is much better.

I would grab a gun and confront them.. i would not shoot unless i HAD to and i mean HAD.. now if he was in my house... yea he'd be dead.. From what i know if you shoot someone whos breaking into your car your gonna be in some deep Sh** with the law.. from some stories iv heard. Take my car for all i care.. I got insurance.

If you can leave a pair of 200-300 sunglasses in your car then im sure one can afford good insurance.. I dont leave anything of any value to me in my car.. for reasons such as this.. the most expensive thing in my car besides my spare tire is a husky screw driver bit set that was $20...

and plus my dog would just run out and start humpin the guys legs

A good friend of mine is a plumber and keeps the company truck at his house overnight. Lives in Vancouver WA.

Two years ago his wife was having trouble sleeping and happened to look out the window and see a guy trying to get into the plumbing truck to steal tools, we assume. My friend, who is a big guy got his gun and ran out of the house in his shorts. Confronted the guy, who promptly was scared silly and fell down in his attempt to run off. But the guy got up and took off running down the street. My buddy fired on round in the air to help the bad guy find his second wind and pick up some speed.:s0114:

The police were called and did not show up for hours. Nobody in the neighborhood ever heard the 9mm go off at three in the morning and that part of the incident never got reported to anyone but me.

Had my friend shot the guy their might have been a lot of trouble for him, since the guy was trying to get away. Now if he had pole cocked him with a baseball bat maybe that would have been OK. Not sure what the rules are across the river.

Each time he tells the story now we all laugh. He tells how he found himself standing out in his driveway, with his gun, in his shorts in the middle of the night with no one around. The round that he touched off was still ringing in his ears when he realized he may be in trouble for shooting off that gun and he ran back into the house.:D

I am not saying I would shoot the guy just hold him there until the cops show up around 5-10mins. we live in a good neighborhood but this stuff happens allot here. One day my neighbor comes out for work and finds his truck sitting on bricks. They cut the outside of the door to get to the alarm and unlock it. That same neighbor goes to take the trash out around 5ish am and sees a dude in her front seat of her car she yells and he runs to my house where he stashed his bike between my wife's car and my truck. All I am saying this needs to stop and I would love to catch the guy or guys who are doing it just in case the start getting real brave and start on homes next. I can't be home all the time.

I am not saying I would shoot the guy just hold him there until the cops show up around 5-10mins. we live in a good neighborhood but this stuff happens allot here. One day my neighbor comes out for work and finds his truck sitting on bricks. They cut the outside of the door to get to the alarm and unlock it. That same neighbor goes to take the trash out around 5ish am and sees a dude in her front seat of her car she yells and he runs to my house where he stashed his bike between my wife’s car and my truck. All I am saying this needs to stop and I would love to catch the guy or guys who are doing it just in case the start getting real brave and start on homes next. I can’t be home all the time.

My point in my post is that, if the confrontation ends any other way other than: Cops get there and bad guy is arrested or Bad guy runs away, you decide not to shoot him (SERIOUSLY DONT). and you do end up shooting him or he shoots you, its not going to end well for you.

You shoot him: You probably get sued, go to court, if you're lucky nothing happens. But it will be a very long stressful process and you may end in jail time and never own a gun again legally.

He shoots you: You go the hospital, if you're lucky the bullet goes through and through in a spot without a vital organ or a main artery. But you could well die.

I understand wanting to stop them, but it's not the old west so shooting a man over property is only going to get you in trouble, unfortunately.

And by the way, if you go out there planning not to shoot him. Don't go out there. If you go out there, plan to shoot, and give him the chance to earn his way out of a free bullet.

Use of force in a property crime (especially outside your house) is just a bad idea... even "displaying" (er, brandishing) your firearm can get you in trouble...

If you are going out there to confront someone, use a "less lethal' approach like a big can of pepper spray...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top