JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:(to get there email address, you go to there web site and on the side click on maps.
This allows toe police to search your car and changes the Oregon Constitution.
It allows the to look for weapons.

Tomorrow the
Senate Business and Transportation Committee

will be hearing Senate Bill 13.

This bill will authorize warrantless stops of vehicles in the name of "sobriety checkpoints."

You may wonder why this should matter to you. After all, you don't drive drunk and you don't want others to either. And neither do we. But the devil is in the details.

First of all, there is no reason to believe that stopping drivers who have done nothing to cause suspicion is a productive use of scarce police resources. Police manning roadblocks are NOT out on the road watching for impaired drivers. They ARE stopping lots of people who have done nothing wrong and questioning them.

But it's important to understand how dangerous these kinds of intrusions can be. The bill calls for following "guidelines issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the publication titled "The Use of Sobriety Checkpoints for Impaired DrivingEnforcement" (DOT HS 807 656, November 1990)."

Take a look at Pages A-2 and A-3 of the document.

Page A-2 instructs police at roadblocks to:

"Be observant of the interior of the vehicle for alcoholic beverage containers, drug paraphernalia or other contraband, such as weapons, that are in plain view."

Page A-3 calls for "searches" when "legally permissible."

Most of us believe we have nothing to hide from the police so why fear a "search?"

The current legislature has a majority of anti-gun members. Our incoming governor is every bit as opposed to gun rights as the outgoing one was, and as you know, in other states, guns and magazines that were owned legally for generations suddenly became contraband.

The Oregon Constitution says : "No law shall violate the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,papers, and effects, against unreasonable search, or seizure; and no warrant shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath, or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the person or thing to be seized."

This bill is calling for a Constitutional Amendmentto change that to allow warrantless roadblocks. This is a dangerous precedent for all Oregonians and particularly gun owners in the current environment.

Please contact the members of the Senate Business and Transportation Committee

and expression your objection to any bill that allows you to be stopped by the police arbitrarily when there is no indication of any wrong doing on your part.

Done. I guess that makes two of us...

How do they think amending the Oregon Constitution will square it with the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights - 4th Amendment? The two read the same. At least the Senate Joint Resolution as currently written leaves it to the voter.

mailto:[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected]?subject=oppose SB 13 and SJR 3

Amending the Oregon state constitution
It sounds like Option 2 is the route that would be used for SB 13 and SJR 3. I wouldn't want the legislature to put this on a special ballot for people to vote on.

The bottom line is that voting requires complete trust in hundreds of people you will never know who they are that deal with ballots, and that none of these individuals is corruptable, and that the ballots are completely and accurately counted. There is no way to confirm the results you are told are what the count really was.

Last Edited:
Just a follow up on this issue. I emailed the senators on the Business and Transportation Committee. I expressed my concern over the potential for illegal search and seizure as well as whether it would be an effective use of already tight police resources. One senator responded to me yesterday:

From Senator Chuck Riley:

Thank you for writing to my office regarding Senate Bill 13, which establishes sobriety checkpoints in Oregon. I also have serious concerns about this bill. It's true that sobriety checkpoints are legal in 38 states, and that the Supreme Court has ruled that this practice is constitutional. However, I think they got it wrong, and question the constitutionality of stopping drivers at checkpoints. For this reason, I currently plan to vote "no" on SB 13 if it comes up for a vote.

Regards,

Sen. Chuck Riley

District 15

900 Court St NE, S-303

Salem, OR 97301

503-986-1715

I appreciate the response and his opposition to this measure, even going so far as to disagree with SCOTUS on this one. Kudos to senator Riley.

Just a follow up on this issue. I emailed the senators on the Business and Transportation Committee. I expressed my concern over the potential for illegal search and seizure as well as whether it would be an effective use of already tight police resources. One senator responded to me yesterday:

From Senator Chuck Riley:

Thank you for writing to my office regarding Senate Bill 13, which establishes sobriety checkpoints in Oregon. I also have serious concerns about this bill. It's true that sobriety checkpoints are legal in 38 states, and that the Supreme Court has ruled that this practice is constitutional. However, I think they got it wrong, and question the constitutionality of stopping drivers at checkpoints. For this reason, I currently plan to vote "no" on SB 13 if it comes up for a vote.

Regards,

Sen. Chuck Riley

District 15

900 Court St NE, S-303

Salem, OR 97301

503-986-1715

I appreciate the response and his opposition to this measure, even going so far as to disagree with SCOTUS on this one. Kudos to senator Riley.

Yep got the same response. What about the rest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top