JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
======================

hayyyyyy....:s0114:....I have no intention of going to the hoos-cow....but this info is published up front for all to read AND I called the company to make sure the interpretation was correct...and it is correct....:s0155:

Well I am off to ship a 1006...:cool::cool:

So lets hear how its possible to ship for cheap then...

Man, I just wish that the dancing man would just go away. I hate that thing, it's creepy.

As for shipping out of state. Unless you go through an FFL, here's the deal. For a rifle, you pay one of the shipping companies to ship it ground, but finding a box is a pain. Plus due to the size and weight, its not cheap to ship it. For a pistol, you have to overnight, and that's never cheap. If you want to ship to several states or some very particular FFL's, you have to use an FFL. Then the shipping charges are usually less (since they usually either have corporate discount accounts or can use USPS and not have to ship overnight), but you have to pay the transfer fee.

And the fact of the matter is that given a choice, I will always deal locally first. I won't welch on an agreed upon deal to do it, but let me see. Wait for a check, wait for it to clear, run around all day to ship a gun (finding box, packing, dropping at FFL or shipping place), get back online to give them a tracking number, check back in later to HOPE everything is kosher with them; or meet someone FTF, hand them gun, have them hand you cash.

Mike Sr., it's not that we don't know how to ship out of state, it's just that it's easier and less of a pain not to do it. Sorry.

its like $80+ unless you can bold face lie about whats in it cause they do ask

gov does not require next day shipping but shippers do

and don't forget both buyer and seller need to educate themselves about shipping firearms if they screw up it can get the weapon confiscated or land someone in jail
:s0133:

so remind me again why we should ship something we can sell locally?

Just to throw it out there, FFL's receive brand new guns all the time and the shipping manifest will say things like "parts". Its sometimes funny when a clearly labeled case of ammo or a pallet of boxes from say 'Bushmaster' that is oddly long and slim in shape comes and the driver of the truck laughs and says its 32 boxes of 'parts'.

All I'm saying is hey, how bad can it be for us to do it when manufacturers and distributors blatently lie about it probably every day. Also, less likely for something to end up 'missing' when no one knows exactly what it is.

My $0.02.:cool:

Multiple reasons to sell out of state. People locally might not want what you have. You may have a specialty item that is more valuable to another person, selling out of state opens up a much larger buyers pool, people locally are cheap bastards. You often time CAN sell it for more out of state even after the shipping fees. I often find the best deals locally, good for me, bad for seller.

Shipping fees are not extraordinarily high. A standard rifle should not cost more than $25 to ship. The last rifle I shipped cost $18 box included. Handguns I ship through an FFL as it is cheaper. Also, it is UPS' policy to only ship a handgun overnight, not the law.
If you are paying more than $25 for an FFL fee you are getting ripped off. Mine is $15.

Multiple reasons to sell out of state. People locally might not want what you have. You may have a specialty item that is more valuable to another person, selling out of state opens up a much larger buyers pool, people locally are cheap bastards. You often time CAN sell it for more out of state even after the shipping fees. I often find the best deals locally, good for me, bad for seller.

Shipping fees are not extraordinarily high. A standard rifle should not cost more than $25 to ship. The last rifle I shipped cost $18 box included. Handguns I ship through an FFL as it is cheaper. Also, it is UPS' policy to only ship a handgun overnight, not the law.
If you are paying more than $25 for an FFL fee you are getting ripped off. Mine is $15.

Then why not sell it on a national forum? or gunbroker?

I'm just confused why people make such a big deal about it, when this is a northwest forum. If you want to buy/sell guns across the nation, do so in an appropriate forum. That's one of the reasons I'm a member on many forums, as well as getting information from specialty sources.

============================

NOT quite right...incorrect... I told you there are legal options they preclude/exclude an FFL involvement in shpping your handgun outta state and I might add at 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost!

This was the point of my post...get informed and put that saved money back in your pocket...!!!!

Yes you may be able to "legaly" ship YOUR firearm across state lines. But from My understanding it is Illegal to sell, give, transfer (or what ever you want to call it) your firearm to a resident of another state unless it goes through a FFL.

If I am wrong please correct me.

If I am right is it worth losing your right to own a gun because you are to lazy to meet FTF with your neighbor.

Last Edited:
I find that it's harder to sell higher end guns ($1000+) locally. I'll try local first and if I don't get any buyers, I'll go national. The $20 it cost me to ship through an FFL ($10 fee + priority flate rate box) is very affordable, especially since the buyer is paying for it usually.

I'm a little more hesitant to purchase from out of state just because pics aren't good enough sometimes and you have to pay shipping + FFL fees on your end. On the other hand, I often find way better prices on national forums even after factoring in FFL + shipping costs.

If you're looking for something specific and you can't find it locally, you have no choice but to broaden your search.

handgun through the US mail in a priority flat rate box? I thought you had to use UPS and overnight, or is it "they don't ask so I don't tell"?

I dunno. You're creating extra work for yourself. You're giving money to people who may or may not be taking advantage of you (an FFL transfer for fifteen I think is pretty fair, but sixty four dollars to ship a pistol to the midwest with no insurance, that's getting screwed). And most importantly, you miss out on looking at the firearm before you buy. There is a rich pool of people looking to buy or sell firearms in Oregon. I live in Portland, so my chances of finding someone close is very good.

handgun through the US mail in a priority flat rate box? I thought you had to use UPS and overnight, or is it "they don't ask so I don't tell"?

==============================

An FFL holder can ship a handgun thru USPS using Flat Rate, Priority, Frist class, Parcel post...NO OVERNITE IS REQUIRED!

And the price is considerably lower that Upyours of FX

There may be a pool of rich people looking to buy guns in the Portland area, but they would still have to want what I am selling.

I have had many items for sale locally for good price (if my prices are not so good that just means I don't want to sell very much :) ) If they do not sell locally, but guess what, I rarely have a hard time selling for more than what I wanted when I go national.

If the pictures suck I ask for better ones, if they don't give them to me I don't buy. I make sure my pictures are clear and from every angle.

And what kind of moron would even consider shipping a gun without insurance? It comes standard on Fedex and UPS, and only a FFL can ship a handgun through USPS.

And what kind of moron would even consider shipping a gun without insurance? It comes standard on Fedex and UPS, and only a FFL can ship a handgun through USPS.

//

The gun was a cheapo. Hundred dollar insurance came free with the shipping. No need to buy additional insurance on what cost $150 initially.

As to being a moron, I resemble that remark. :D

I live by the rule that the simpler things are the better things are, FTF instate is as simple as it gets. ;)

My last gun sale was as simple as answering two PM's and opening the front door when the buyer knocked. ;)

I live by the rule that the simpler things are the better things are, FTF instate is as simple as it gets. ;)

My last gun sale was as simple as answering two PM's and opening the front door when the buyer knocked. ;)

I agree 100%.....it amazes me how we will go through so much hassle to make a couple extra bucks on a sale. It also totally blows my mind how some think it's ok to not disclose what your sending through the mail because they "heard" that manufacturers or dealers do it so why shouldn't we.

With all the time and hassle I just can't see how generally selling this way is worthwhile. I can understand if your looking for or selling a very "unique" weapon with a "niche" market.....but generally it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top