JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I was a 13F2p

The accuracy is made up for by the burst radius of NGF.

P.E.R. is so great you NEVER use overhead fire EVER !!!!!!!!!

the 5'' 50 is pretty much the same as a 155mm Arty gun so 50m burst radius 150m wound or kill

b. Be Aware of the Dispersion Pattern of Naval Gunfire. The fall of shot of naval gunfire can be described as a narrow, elongated pattern as seen along the GT line. The size of the pattern varies with range. For example, at 2,100 meters, the 5-inch gun mount causes a round-to-round dispersion pattern which is about 150 meters long and 50 meters wide. Figure 8-3 shows the dispersion pattern of naval gunfire.

200 m burst radius= instant kia / 500m wound or kill

a. Characteristics. The 16-inch gun produces a significantly larger dispersion pattern than does the 5-inch. The pattern is about 150 meters (or greater) wide and 500 meters (or greater) long. The pattern depends on the terrain, target range, and number of guns in effect. The observer should expect 2 to 5 minutes between transmitting a correction and shot of the next salvo.

BattleshipFiring.jpg

Boom

So how do you get one of these? Well it was pretty simple back in the day. You looked for the 20 foot crater in the foot hills outside of town and you dug till you hit metal. They guy my dad got this one from dug up three, the other two are the posts for his front gate.
Aren't there a few islands in the Pacific full of these things?

I get the impression the OP's projectile is a training load - no explosive. Which is why it's still intact. Those found in the beaches of Pacific islands.......... I'm no chemist or explosives expert, but even after almost 3/4s of a century, I wouldn't want to dig one of those bad boys up.

Correct, these rounds were inert. About the top foot is a cap, The original was destroyed when it was fired into the hillside. The one that's on there now my dad fabricated to make it look complete I assume they all use the same projectile however the Part you screwed on determine whether it was armor piercing explosive or whatever

I get the impression the OP's projectile is a training load - no explosive. Which is why it's still intact. Those found in the beaches of Pacific islands.......... I'm no chemist or explosives expert, but even after almost 3/4s of a century, I wouldn't want to dig one of those bad boys up.

That is actually a really good point.

I wouldn't want to dig up one of them either. I would, however, like to open up a discussion on who I would most like to volunteer to dig up the aforementioned unexploded sixteen inch projectiles.

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can do math, and those who cant.
And those that know MOA to be 1.047"@ 100 yards. That doesn't matter at 100 yards, but at 42,000 it could make a bit of difference.

Of course, then I'd need my graphing calculator, abacus, sextant and all 19 fingers and toes to do the figgerin'.

Heck of a charge behind that thing too.

One of my great uncles was served in a 16" gun crew, powder handler. In one of his stories, he said that those guns would get shot out and the accuracy would degrade, so to compensate they would cut in a extra 1-3 sacks of powder and the difference was, apparently, pretty noticeable.

One of my great uncles was served in a 16" gun crew, powder handler. In one of his stories, he said that those guns would get shot out and the accuracy would degrade, so to compensate they would cut in a extra 1-3 sacks of powder and the difference was, apparently, pretty noticeable.

Holy Cow. How many rounds would have to be put through such a barrel to shoot it out?? (Maybe more a question of heat degradation than quantity?)

Watching the training film, it seems 6 powder rounds was standard, but if your great uncle's crew could force in another 3, then it seems possible to really pack the barrel. It was a hydraulic plunger, IIRC. Great blazing guns, those were. Would loved to have seen one in action (although those gun crews were in serious danger, both from enemy fire as well as malfunctions--very dangerous jobs).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top