JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I went shooting last Saturday and it started out to be a little hectic since there was still far too much snow on the ground. I get all set-up and start dialing in my 270 fwt since I had my scope off for a while and then decided to put it back on. As I was shooting, I hear the sound of some trucks coming up the road. They stop and ask how the road was further up and I tell them it's not good at all. They didn't have chains on, so I told them their best bet was to turn around here where I did and go back down the road. Well, I went back to dialing in the scope. Only took a few shots and I was in business. I turn and look and one guy has his Ford expedition buried and the other guy looks clueless. I get up and offer a tow strap. I asked if either of them has chains for their trucks and they say no. Ok, well we get one guys Nissan double cab 4x4 hooked up to his buddy and he starts pulling. Or trying to pull, would be a better way to put it. The Nissan gets himself buried. Well, I was hoping these 2 could get themselves out of trouble with just the use of their trucks, but no luck. They ask If I could just pull them both out with my truck. I agree, no problem. I hook up to the Nissan and pull him out and ask him to back down the road to a good turn around spot where there is less snow. He does that and then comes walking back up. By this time I'm pulling his buddy out. He was in the ditch pretty good at this point and it was a struggle getting him out of the ditch without hitting a tree or running over a log and damaging his vehicle. Before getting him out of the ditch, I managed to burry myself in the process. Didn't take much to dig under the front end where the snow was causing a high center and no traction. I managed to back my pick up out of the hole I dug and hooked up to the expedition for one last tug. That LS1 in my GMC runs like a striped azzed ape and I told the guy to hang on, we were going to get him out this time!!!! A little run and tug and popped him right up on the road. He offered to give me some money, but I refused that. Now I could go back to shooting!!!!
Drove back to where I was set up, now I'm dialing in my custom 338WM. I switched bases and rings and went to a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 I used to have on my 375H&H. It's a sweet scope and nice solid mounting system. After 2 shots, I'm in the bulls eye. I get my chronograph all set up and we are in business to check velocities. I've yet to test my 338wm loads with the 225gr. Hornady interlock bullets and I was working with some new powder in my 270 fwt. To say I was ticked to death with the results would be the understatement of the year. Averaging around 2920 fps with the 270 fwt and 150gr. nosler partitions (my new elk load) and getting some awesome accuracy from my 338wm. I will say after shooting my 338wm and this group, I almost decided to pack it up and call it a day. Elk better beware:

3 shots went into the same hole, so I figured a 5 shot string would be better:
IMG_0955_zpsekykfmsq.jpg

Then for shooting my 270 fwt with the new powder and 150gr. partitions. I should be able to shrink this group with a slight adjustment to the OAL. I'm loving this RL26 powder though. Velocities are excellent. Should be just about right for anything I hunt around here:
IMG_0954_zps1qypfmso.jpg
0304171717_zpshf7nwz0a.jpg

It was a wonderful day, just wished I would have had more time.... By the way, if those guys are members here, do something nice for someone you see in need if you want to pay me back....

Here are the 2 rifles I took out that day:
IMG_0948_zpsfxgrkqdw.jpg

Top rifle is a 338 winchester magnum built on a 1954 H&H magnum model 70 receiver in brown precision poundR stock with red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. 24" gretan stainless barrel, fwt. bottom metal, all metal cerakoted in midnight blue. Stock painted brown to almost match McMillan's brown color. Whole package weighs 8 pounds all up.
Bottom rifle is a 1957 Winchester model 70 270 winchester fwt in a Mcmillan hunters compact stock. Bone stock other than that. Well, let me add that I glass bed these rifles and fine tuned their triggers to 2.5 pounds. Just the way I like them...;)

I guess what I'm getting at with the question in the title of the thread is when you get to the range and shoot a group like this (from the 338wm), do you sometimes feel like you are done for the day? Why mess with perfection? :D

Disclaimer: These loads are safe in my rifles. Please do not try to duplicate them. Work up as per usual and always consult a load manual. Have a great day guys!!!

Last Edited:
Good shooting bsa. It's a good group to leave on. I never like to stop on a poor group or shot. And sometimes you have to know when to quit.

I shot this 5 shot group with a Buckmark .22 pistol at 115 yards :)

It's a one inch circle.
IMG_20170228_093853.jpg
Just kidding its one shot at 15 yards. :D

Hey guys, I went shooting last Saturday and it started out to be a little hectic since there was still far too much snow on the ground. I get all set-up and start dialing in my 270 fwt since I had my scope off for a while and then decided to put it back on. As I was shooting, I hear the sound of some trucks coming up the road. They stop and ask how the road was further up and I tell them it's not good at all. They didn't have chains on, so I told them their best bet was to turn around here where I did and go back down the road. Well, I went back to dialing in the scope. Only took a few shots and I was in business. I turn and look and one guy has his Ford expedition buried and the other guy looks clueless. I get up and offer a tow strap. I asked if either of them has chains for their trucks and they say no. Ok, well we get one guys Nissan double cab 4x4 hooked up to his buddy and he starts pulling. Or trying to pull, would be a better way to put it. The Nissan gets himself buried. Well, I was hoping these 2 could get themselves out of trouble with just the use of their trucks, but no luck. They ask If I could just pull them both out with my truck. I agree, no problem. I hook up to the Nissan and pull him out and ask him to back down the road to a good turn around spot where there is less snow. He does that and then comes walking back up. By this time I'm pulling his buddy out. He was in the ditch pretty good at this point and it was a struggle getting him out of the ditch without hitting a tree or running over a log and damaging his vehicle. Before getting him out of the ditch, I managed to burry myself in the process. Didn't take much to dig under the front end where the snow was causing a high center and no traction. I managed to back my pick up out of the hole I dug and hooked up to the expedition for one last tug. That LS1 in my GMC runs like a striped azzed ape and I told the guy to hang on, we were going to get him out this time!!!! A little run and tug and popped him right up on the road. He offered to give me some money, but I refused that. Now I could go back to shooting!!!!
Drove back to where I was set up, now I'm dialing in my custom 338WM. I switched bases and rings and went to a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 I used to have on my 375H&H. It's a sweet scope and nice solid mounting system. After 2 shots, I'm in the bulls eye. I get my chronograph all set up and we are in business to check velocities. I've yet to test my 338wm loads with the 225gr. Hornady interlock bullets and I was working with some new powder in my 270 fwt. To say I was ticked to death with the results would be the understatement of the year. Averaging around 2920 fps with the 270 fwt and 150gr. nosler partitions (my new elk load) and getting some awesome accuracy from my 338wm. I will say after shooting my 338wm and this group, I almost decided to pack it up and call it a day. Elk better beware:

3 shots went into the same hole, so I figured a 5 shot string would be better:
View attachment 348019

Then for shooting my 270 fwt with the new powder and 150gr. partitions. I should be able to shrink this group with a slight adjustment to the OAL. I'm loving this RL26 powder though. Velocities are excellent. Should be just about right for anything I hunt around here:
View attachment 348020
View attachment 348021

It was a wonderful day, just wished I would have had more time.... By the way, if those guys are members here, do something nice for someone you see in need if you want to pay me back....

Here are the 2 rifles I took out that day:
View attachment 348022

Top rifle is a 338 winchester magnum built on a 1954 H&H magnum model 70 receiver in brown precision poundR stock with red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. 24" gretan stainless barrel, fwt. bottom metal, all metal cerakoted in midnight blue. Stock painted brown to almost match McMillan's brown color. Whole package weighs 8 pounds all up.
Bottom rifle is a 1957 Winchester model 70 270 winchester fwt in a Mcmillan hunters compact stock. Bone stock other than that. Well, let me add that I glass bed these rifles and fine tuned their triggers to 2.5 pounds. Just the way I like them...;)

I guess what I'm getting at with the question in the title of the thread is when you get to the range and shoot a group like this (from the 338wm), do you sometimes feel like you are done for the day? Why mess with perfection? :D

Disclaimer: These loads are safe in my rifles. Please do not try to duplicate them. Work up as per usual and always consult a load manual. Have a great day guys!!!
Yeah, I have had a day where after 4 shots I felt like I was done for the day. I took the S&W 1500 .30-06 (made by Howa) to the range to sight in for deer season. I fired one shot just to see if I was on the paper. It was 3/8" from dead center. I fired two more to make a three shot group. All of them ended up within a 3/4" group centered on the "X". I said something like "Well, that should be good enough to hit a deer." and was ready to go, but the spotter said I should try one more shot, so I obliged him. It was a spinner. Could not have been any more dead center. I packed up and left. Never touched the adjustments on the scope.

Yeah, I have had a day where after 4 shots I felt like I was done for the day. I took the S&W 1500 .30-06 (made by Howa) to the range to sight in for deer season. I fired one shot just to see if I was on the paper. It was 3/8" from dead center. I fired two more to make a three shot group. All of them ended up within a 3/4" group centered on the "X". I said something like "Well, that should be good enough to hit a deer." and was ready to go, but the spotter said I should try one more shot, so I obliged him. It was a spinner. Could not have been any more dead center. I packed up and left. Never touched the adjustments on the scope.

That's awesome man. Thanks for sharing that story. I always love it when that happens. A hunting rifle that you can depend on day in and day out like that is a true treasure!!!! One of my favorite rifles is my sporterized m1917 30-06 and it is just like that. I have a story similar to yours: Went to my clubs range for a centerfire shoot. Pulled a few rifles out to make sure they were still dialed in and this is the group I fired with my 1917:
IMG_0733_zpssdp4dcjs.jpg

I used that load for both my deer and elk last season and still have not touched the turrets on the scope. I know I can go out tomorrow and shoot the same group in the same spot on the target. The rifle is glass bedded right and so dang consistent, it isn't even funny.
IMG_0929_zpssv7o05ot.jpg

I love my pre 64 model 70's, but truthfully when it's time to go hunting I grab for this rifle more times than not. I think it's a lot about familiarity too, as I grew up toting one of these 1917's. I put a lot of trust and faith in these old rifles and they have yet to let me down... Thanks for everyone's positive comments. However, I'll be honest, I felt like the group shot with my 338wm was more luck than anything. Everything just fell into place, and that doesn't happen every time. Trust me on that.... ;)

Man I want to reload for my rifles but only get to really test loads at public sight ins so I feel like my effort would be so small. I need to find a spot that I can do 100 yards with ease

That's awesome man. Thanks for sharing that story. I always love it when that happens. A hunting rifle that you can depend on day in and day out like that is a true treasure!!!! One of my favorite rifles is my sporterized m1917 30-06 and it is just like that. I have a story similar to yours: Went to my clubs range for a centerfire shoot. Pulled a few rifles out to make sure they were still dialed in and this is the group I fired with my 1917:
View attachment 348514

I used that load for both my deer and elk last season and still have not touched the turrets on the scope. I know I can go out tomorrow and shoot the same group in the same spot on the target. The rifle is glass bedded right and so dang consistent, it isn't even funny.
View attachment 348515

I love my pre 64 model 70's, but truthfully when it's time to go hunting I grab for this rifle more times than not. I think it's a lot about familiarity too, as I grew up toting one of these 1917's. I put a lot of trust and faith in these old rifles and they have yet to let me down... Thanks for everyone's positive comments. However, I'll be honest, I felt like the group shot with my 338wm was more luck than anything. Everything just fell into place, and that doesn't happen every time. Trust me on that.... ;)
That group is SWEET!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top