JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a "new-to-me" S&W m629-1 4" this week. I am a huge fan of .44mags and this was a great buy for just under $500. It is in amazing condition. The good thing about the used .44mags is that I do not think they get shot a lot...so it is easy to find them in really good shape.:)

pfffft !! call that a Smith ?
Why, it's silver and the grips are a funny shape.....
Now, here's a proper Smith.....

and another, not many of these floating around....

:p

I'm in the market for a new S&W or Ruger or any effective type of revolver when I go hiking during this summer. What is best suggestion for under $700? I was hoping to get a S&W or Ruger, but they are both expensive. I need one i can conceal, since I will be hikign around Pacific NW and open carry just isn't easy to do here. The revolver you have looks great and for the price. I need to figure out where I can score a deal like yours. I am weary of course buying used guns, since I don't know how much abuse they haev went through. Anyhow, I soon will be hunting around for a good deal on one of these. I assume a .454 is way overkill for using in Pacific NW in the wilderness, am I right? The ammo is a bit overkill in the price department, that is my main deterrance.

I would just pick up a .357mag revolver. Something like a model 66 or 686 with a 4" barrel would be perfect....or if you want something easy to conceal, go with a model 686 with a short barrel.

m686 4"
686SSR.jpg

I will admit that the gun I most use when hiking is a 10mm Glock 29 in a fanny pack.

Glock29.jpg

The glock 10mm seems like a good option. However, I consulted the person from Glock USA and he specifically told me to never use a 10mm for defense in the woods. He says he himself carries a Ruger Super Redhawk .44. This is coming from a guy that makes his money selling Glock 10mms to you. I certainly respect the honesty of the people at Glock although it was disheartening when he pushed me away from the Glock 10mm. Anyhow, I think out in the woods with an adrenaline filled animal, I'd feel most confident with 44mag or bigger and a .45ACP as a backup gun. The 8 -round .357's look real sweet , but against the beasts of the wild, I be happiest with a .44 is my main gun. Usually during these attacks it happens so quick, you don't have time for many follow up shots. If the first one doesn't get him , you are in deep crap.

I consulted the person from Glock USA and he specifically told me to never use a 10mm for defense in the woods.
Did you bother to ask his reasoning behind that little pearl of wisdom? You might want to ask someone that actually has even a slight understanding of ballistics next time. :)

Did you bother to ask his reasoning behind that little pearl of wisdom? You might want to ask someone that actually has even a slight understanding of ballistics next time. :)

Well, I thought the technical support people at Glock would have some knowledge. This guy seem to act like he knew what he was talking about. I am a NOOB, so I myself don't really know. He claims he would never trust his Glocks, even though he says he builds them, against a charging black bear in the woods. He says he goes with .44 MAG. What is your belief, if a black bear comes charging you from bush full speed and you have split-second to react, would you reach for 10mm glock or .44 Mag? YOu have any comparison of ballastics of high powered 10mm round vs high powered .44 Mag round? Just curious to see. I do like that you can put 15 rounds or so in a 10mm Glock, definately would come in handy with the 2 legged predators.

Well, I thought the technical support people at Glock would have some knowledge. This guy seem to act like he knew what he was talking about. I am a NOOB, so I myself don't really know. He claims he would never trust his Glocks, even though he says he builds them, against a charging black bear in the woods. He says he goes with .44 MAG. What is your belief, if a black bear comes charging you from bush full speed and you have split-second to react, would you reach for 10mm glock or .44 Mag? YOu have any comparison of ballastics of high powered 10mm round vs high powered .44 Mag round? Just curious to see. I do like that you can put 15 rounds or so in a 10mm Glock, definately would come in handy with the 2 legged predators.

I would definitely reach for the .44 mag. But the 10mm would most likely be adequate to stop a smaller bear, some people trust it for a backpacking gun, some don't. I'm guessing its just an opinion based thing on his part, I have no clue if anyone has actually had to defend against a bear with a 10mm, but I know that plenty of people have had to with a .44 mag.

As some people already know, my great uncle was kind of a big much-a-muck in wildlife preservation for the US and Canada in the '70's. He was always amazed at how people mythologize bears. They are not ungodly machines. They are animals. When he was younger and starting off he and his co-workers would routinely dispatch black bears with .38 carbines and browns with .45 carbines. A 10mm Glock, especially with 10 rounds, is going to drop a black bear like a rock and could even kill a large brown. In fact the last large brown killing I saw reported the bear being dropped by a single shot from a .45acp pistol. He used to always say he had read almost every bear report in history and he had never seen one where a bear of any type killed anyone after being shot multiple times by a .357mag or higher.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top