JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
California SB 798 has just passed the committee and is headed towards a vote in the senate.

This bill, which was crafted after a kid was shot by police after pointing a bb gun at the officer at night, requires that all bb guns, airsoft guns, etc be colored day glow colors, and all others in the state, for sale or brought into the state would be illegal.

Hooray for a state that cannot even give their kid their first Red Ryder BB gun....

Info all about it here:
SB 798 Senate Bill - Bill Analysis

Back in the day when I was a soloed reserve officer, I called in for back up and we did a felony traffic stop on a bronco. The teens in it where just out having some fun so they said.
What I saw was an AR rifle swinging out the window at different people during the daylight hours.
All in all they complied with orders given during the stop. It was an ALL black AR rifle "squirt gun", but from a distance, you can't tell what it is.
Parents were notified and they went home with a lesson learned. , parents were very concerned about their kids doing what they did. Thanked us for teaching kids a lesson. Not all parent's react this way, but glad these did.

You have to remember, today's way of living is so much different than when we were kids. We use to take loaded rifles to school in our trucks and have them hanging on the "gun racks" in the back window. Go out during lunch and compare our rifles with one another. Heck, sometimes the teacher would go out and look at them also.... Not no more, not now days...
You have to look at both sides of this before being so judgmental.

My .02 cents...

Stay Safe.

It was an ALL black AR rifle "squirt gun", but from a distance, you can't tell what it is.
You have to look at both sides of this before being so judgmental.

Would you have handled the stop any differently had the gun been a different color? Would you have been able to identify real/fake from a distance at night like the original case? This is even more of a problem now with people doing custom gun coloring and home camo. Not only are real guns being made to look fake but what about someone painting a fake gun to look real?

It's feel good legislation to make people think something is being done because a tragedy happened when a child was shot for pointing a gun at an officer.

How about we make it illegal to point a gun at someone; oh wait, we have that.

I know, how about we make it illegal for kids to have guns in the first place; darn it we have that too.

Better yet, lets make it illegal to kill someone; damn they thought of everything!

I don't blame the officer here and the punishment didn't fit the crime but more legislation will not change a thing.

Would you have handled the stop any differently had the gun been a different color? Would you have been able to identify real/fake from a distance at night like the original case? This is even more of a problem now with people doing custom gun coloring and home camo. Not only are real guns being made to look fake but what about someone painting a fake gun to look real?

It's feel good legislation to make people think something is being done because a tragedy happened when a child was shot for pointing a gun at an officer.

How about we make it illegal to point a gun at someone; oh wait, we have that.

I know, how about we make it illegal for kids to have guns in the first place; darn it we have that too.

Better yet, lets make it illegal to kill someone; damn they thought of everything!

I don't blame the officer here and the punishment didn't fit the crime but more legislation will not change a thing.

If it were a Clear or see through so to speak color of gun, then yes, I would have handled it differently. It would have been a regular traffic stop with a warning, Not a Felony stop, Adrenalin pumping from both Officers and Kids, prone out on the ground, etc. etc... as I am sure you would have handled it differently if it were You here in these boots.
Again, you have to have an opened mind when it comes to these types of laws.
I'm not saying your kids can't have "BB" guns, or air soft guns, just make them a little more distinctive between real and fake.
Again, these are different times than that when you and I grew up in, well at least when I grew up in...

Not trying to start an argument, but please have an open mind, and think about both sides of this.

Stay Safe.

I'm sorry, but some lessons are learned the hard way. By the time I was old enough to have a squirt gun, I knew pointing it at a cop could get me shot. Place the blame on the parent, don't punish everyone in the state for their lack of parenting. If the parent did teach them right, then the kid has noone to blame but himself.

as I am sure you would have handled it differently if it were You here in these boots.

I get my panties in a wad over stupid feel good legislation; I wasn't condeming you for your actions. IMO you handled the situation just like you should have. I would expect you (or any officer) to handle the situation the same way. My point is there is no way of knowing real or fake from a distance and color isn't going to change that. If it looks like a gun then it should be treated like a gun until you prove it isn't.

On the topic of airsoft in california, there are at least 5 large businesses I can think of that revolve all around those replicas and they own sanctioned safe playing areas for the people who want to do it. So is it logical to put these supporters of safety out of business? I don't think so.

Next they'll address squirt guns and pointy finger guns.

Boy shot while playing cops and robbers because he didn't paint his fingernail a day-glow color... more news at 11:00.

You have to consider the source - this is the same place where the air resources board (agency in charge of smog checks) is trying to ban the sale of new dark colored cars on the basis that dark cars get hot quicker and cause higher use of the A/C resulting in more smog...

Hooray for a state that cannot even give their kid their first Red Ryder BB gun....

I guess Black Bart will be safe to continue his mayhem... Ralphie will have to check his Red Ryder.

Do an experiment.. paint a REAL PISTOL saftey orange and walk around with it tucked in your front waist band, even go into a bank... nobody will even give it a 2nd glance. Ask my how I know...

I don't know about OR but in WA it is not illegal to take a gun in a bank........

I understand your point about people looking though.

Well sounds like I know what color bad guys are going to paint their guns now so the police wont shoot them....................

Real guns come in those colors and more too............... Check out the color chart here, Manufacturer of DuraCoat Firearms Finishes Or just go hit the pain isle of Walmart.

I thought the same thing...

11-03-10ar-15panther.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews