Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Yet another reason to carry

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by phathom, Jan 26, 2010.

1. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

How many of you have heard about the Vancouver woman who was beaten at the ATM? She was beaten several times and robbed of her wallet which had a total of $0.20 in it.

My wife asked me "When you get your permit, are you going to carry all the time, like your brother in law?" My reply was simply, "Of course, everywhere I can." And referred her to the story here
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/nwheadlines/2010/01/atm_robber_savagely_beats_vict.html

Everyday, watch the news, not even national, just local. There is someone who is a victim of violence, who is injured or killed, and a lot of the time, it's random, due to thugs robbing people because of the economy and them getting extremely desperate.

The problem is increasing and I refuse to let myself be a victim. She choose not to carry, even a small .380 in her purse, but at least I was able to convince her to carry pepper spray.

2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

There is the issue of overly timid people carrying where their weapon can be used against them.

I'm sure that most of us carry for a reason and have no problems with pulling it out in a time of need.

3. phathom

I definitely agree with that, people who have some kind of objection about defending themselves in situations like this shouldn't arm themselves as it would land them in a more serious situation than they would already be in.

The purpose of the post wasn't to say everyone should carry, because really everyone shouldn't. In my ideal world, everyone would carry, and in that case (like old west days) the criminals would really have to think twice about committing a crime because every citizen could stop them, not just the sheriff.

The purpose was more of my personal reason and I'm sure a lot of people's reason to carry, is that our society isn't getting any better. Especially with this economy, it seems to be getting worse, where people who wouldn't normally be criminals are resorting to crime to try and survive. There's more people getting desperate and less resources to go around. Those that don't have will do anything to try and take it, and I sure won't go down without a fight.

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The purpose was more of my personal reason and I'm sure a lot of people's reason to carry, is that our society isn't getting any better. Especially with this economy, it seems to be getting worse, where people who wouldn't normally be criminals are resorting to crime to try and survive. There's more people getting desperate and less resources to go around.

Agreed. That's why one of the business sectors that is thriving in the midst of this recession is security companies that specialize in loss prevention for retailers. A friend of mine that works retail says shoplifting has seen a huge surge in the last several months.

5. phathom

Definitely, my wife works retail, they have had more thefts in the last couple of months than they ever had. It has gotten out of control and people are getting very bold. One man actually got an employee ladder, set it up, climbed up it, got a computer off the top shelf and walked right out the door with it, witnesses and all. Unfortunately, the employees are asked not to do anything, for their safety and the man got away with high dollar merchandise scott free.

6. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Condition orange folks. That is where you should be at the ATM!! The preditors are at cond red when you are present there. Time to take a reasonable step towards your own safety. Greydog.

7. tINY

tINY Hillsboro (Newton) New Member

Armed or not, I always do a visual sweep at a walk-up ATM. In a lot of big cities, they are behind a locked glass door that you need a bank card to open...

-tINY

8. crazytimme

crazytimme Tacoma area Member

After being sprayed with pepper spray for work, it's going to at least slow them down if not stop them. Its not leather so those who might think twice about using a firearm is a grate idea.

A bright flashlight is useful at night in low lite situations, it will temporarily blind a suspicious person, but is less painful then pepper spray, grate for jogging or walking at night.

It is better to bring a gun to a gun fight, but if someone cant bring themselves to use a gun they are going to need something to defend themselfs.

9. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

I wouldn't minimize the difficulty an armed person might have, making the transition from 'this guy is making me nervous' to 'this guy needs to die NOW.' I think it's definitely something to work through in your own head in detail and to refresh periodically, exactly what conditions are required for you to draw and fire. Here's a link to some video of a cop that failed to make the leap, even given ample opportunity --

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-si...s-piazza-stop-screaming-start-shooting/#video

That the site is trying to sell training doesn't alter what the video shows. (Yes, the cop died.) The video is 12 years old, but I hadn't seen it before a few days ago, don't know if it's circulated here on NWFA before. I saw the thread and some thoughtful discussion on another forum I follow --

http://forum.bearhawkgroups.com/viewtopic.php?t=1468&sid=917222aae2e6f660824a9fe46fd329d4

I *never* liked using ATMs on the street, not in broad daylight and in better economic times, not even when I was young and invincible; I always felt *so* vulnerable. Fortunately, there's an ATM inside the (non-public access) building I work in, and I can usually anticipate my cash needs well enough to hit it up, during work hours.

There was a story, I think in Portland a few years ago, about a woman taking the elevator down from one of the multi-story parking structures. Doors opened, woman looked in, saw a creepy guy there. Her first thought was, 'Me, alone on elevator with creepy guy -- not happening!' Second thought was, 'I an NOT going to let my prejudice and silly fears rule my actions,' so she got on. Was raped before the elevator made it to the ground level.

Some people say 'Man is the creature that makes tools,' but other animals make tools and some are not even vertebrates. Some say, 'Man is the animal that laughs.' I say, 'Man is the animal that suppresses his instincts.' Survival rule: Listen to your instincts; embrace your instincts. Never suppresses them.

Mr B

10. phathom

^ Amen to that, everyone has that 6th sense where you can tell something is wrong and you're about to enter, or are in a bad situation. A lot of people just don't listen to it. Situation awareness and judgment are the best tools you have to not be in a situation like this, but when you are in a situation like that, one you couldn't avoid. You better be prepared to get yourself out of it alive, no matter what.

11. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

I would be happy if those who choose not to carry would simply appreciate the necessity and benefits of those who do.

12. country boy

country boy portland area Member

Exactly what I was going to say! I try to stay alert wherever I go, and especially at the ATM. Bening able to spot trouble before it rears its ugly head is the first line of defense.

cb