JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my buddy is looking for a certain gun, he looks and he looks, and all of a sudden, Boom, he calls me, tells me about it and I am like, "cool, buy it". So he wants me to look at it and look at the ad, (he is new to our world, brought up very anti-gun, married anti-gun, then divorced anti-gun and went to the range with me and got hooked). I was thinking it was from here, its not, its from Armslist. So I am big boy to know all the ads on there are not bad, so I don't say anything and he sends me the link. So lets start off with LNIB and 500 rnd count should never be in the same sentence, I don't think there is anything wrong with a 500 rnd count, I do think that saying its LNIB is a little drastic. So I look at the ad, we determine that its a little on the steep price, but that's why you negotiate right? So he emails, and after a few, he decides he is at the desired number and he asked me to come along. I do, so we go and meet, the gun is there, a bit dirty, but what ever, we'll clean it... Then we asked to share ID's and then it goes south. He pulls his WA ODL out (We are in Oregon BTW). I look at him and ask him if he was doing a transfer, he says no, F2F, and I pull out the issue of why you now can not buy this. The seller went ape crap, telling me i was Full of crap and so on and so on, and how he drove all the way to Tualatin from Battle Ground....so thank goodness for smart phones and I got to educated him with facts. I went home and looked at the ad and it showed Portland and surrounding areas, so he is searching for a buyer. I am thinking that a lot of WA folks are dumping guns now...don't know but just a thought, I don't know if he did not know the law, was LE and doing stings (Put me tin foil hat on for a second) or if he just did not know. Anyways, we did the right thing and retreated.

To verify he was dealing with fellow OR resident I assume.

Is there an Oregon law, that I am unaware of, that requires you to verify Oregon residency during Face-to-face transfers?

What happens when the seller/buyer claims to reside in Oregon but has an out-of-state DL? Would you refuse to sell it to them? Can you be charged with a crime if you still sell it?

I thought it was the seller that is actually committing the crime (driving to Oregon to sell a firearm from Washington) and not the buyer- especially if he's an Oregon resident, in Oregon, buying the weapon.

Is there an Oregon law, that I am unaware of, that requires you to verify Oregon residency during Face-to-face transfers?

What happens when the seller/buyer claims to reside in Oregon but has an out-of-state DL? Would you refuse to sell it to them? Can you be charged with a crime if you still sell it?

I thought it was the seller that is actually committing the crime (driving to Oregon to sell a firearm from Washington) and not the buyer- especially if he's in Oregon buying the weapon.
It would primarily be the seller that would commit the crime.

If you *knowingly* bought from someone out of state, then you too would be committing a crime.

Checking ID helps you preclude such mixups.

There are a LOT of people out there who don't know there law with regards to interstate transfers.

There are no small number of people who simply don't care.

Who knows which one this guy was. In my experience it is usually the person in the wrong who gets caught doing something wrong, that gets angry as part of a defense at being caught doing that wrong thing. The rest of us just walk away disgusted.

The way I read the ATF FAQ statement below indicates that its on the buyer.

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#state-residency

I didn't look for a state verification law, but I look at it as a CYA check.

I asked for an ID because I want to cover my butt and because I require a bill of sale I've seen way too often that the seller will not give a bill of sale and then he will claim that the gun was stolen although that doesn't happen very often I don't want to be the one called in the middle nor do I want any of my friends

I asked for an ID because I want to cover my butt and because I require a bill of sale I've seen way too often that the seller will not give a bill of sale and then he will claim that the gun was stolen although that doesn't happen very often I don't want to be the one called in the middle nor do I want any of my friends

Gotcha...that's all I wanted to know.

CONSIDER THIS:
The guy may be a plant from a police agency from one or the other state and the minute you complete the deal out come the cuffs . . . Or maybe he is a Bloomberg goon and has a cell phone with a police agency on speed dial.

Sheldon

My
CONSIDER THIS:
The guy may be a plant from a police agency from one or the other state and the minute you complete the deal out come the cuffs . . . Or maybe he is a Bloomberg goon and has a cell phone with a police agency on speed dial.

Sheldon
well here's the deal the anti-gun grabbing guys are trying to do everything they can to bring more laws on us our argument right now as there's enough laws, enforce the ones that are out there and the only way we can do that isn't too sure where policing ourselves

I have had nothing but good deals either buying or selling on Armslist / OutdoorsTrader.
I also post ads here, but generally receive more responses from Armslist, especially the higher end items.
Most are out of state buyers wanting to know if I would be willing to ship to their FFL.

I had good dealings on Armslist, lately its been a horrific experience with the last 3 interactions, I actually walked away and did not sell to 2 folks looking to buy my Glock I had for sale. One was stated above, 2nd was we negotiated a price, met up and they conveniently only had 100 less than what we agreed on. Next one the guy would not show his ID to me and I denied the sell to him, i was not making a copy, i just wanted to verify he was an OR resident. This is the best place to sell or buy IMO, the feedback system is the best.

I've had people show up with Washington license plates on their cars and be incapable of producing Oregon ID. No go. Sorry. I don't ask, generally- but if I see a Washington license plate, that's exposing me to criminal liability if anything is amiss.

Why even give them an opportunity? We all know there are bastards of fifty varieties out there.

Last couple times i have posted to armslist turned into crap shoots. So many flakes and no shows really pissed me off since i work a wacky schedule and the days i get off i would rather not have to deal such people.

Speaking of weird, a guy just emailed my buddy over his gun he is trying to sell wanting him to trade him his Beretta 92FS (buddies gun) for a High Point C9 plus 500 dollars. He claims its a rare first year addition worth 3k................Unless I am missing something, I have never seen a High Point go for 3k.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top