JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sooooo, if your going out shooting with friends, and everyone has to do a BGC, I'm assuming everyone has to fill out 4473s. The first question it asks is if the person receiving the gun is the actual purchaser. How would you even answer that since no sale is even being made?

Furthermore when I go out shooting with friends, there's usually 5-6 of us and there 30+ firearms being used. If we all show up at a gun shop and all 5 of us have the same 30 firearms listed, how's the Feds supposed to deal with that?

Seems a very effective protest would be to have a large number of people with a large number of firearms all shared and doing BGC/4473 on all. I don't think it would take too long before the Feds say F-U to the state and force the state to do the checks or scrap the whole thing.

Also, If the state sees that one person is "transferring" a large number of guns frequently, they would investigate and quickly find out that the state is screwing things up by having their own definition of transfer.

You aren't reading it correctly....
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.
http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_483.pdf

Unless you are:
1) Legally hunting
2) Only temporarily transferring the firearm to a spouse
3) Transferring a firearm to prevent bodily harm

You must transfer the firearm to the other individual, in which case, you will need to drive back into town, and do an FFL transfer before your friend can shoot your weapon.

I am reading it correctly. You and I are in agreement.

If you and i are going to go shooting together and we know we will be sharing firearms, we need a BGC to swap firearms. So before we leave we do BGCs. That is what I'm talking about.

I am reading it correctly. You and I are in agreement.

If you and i are going to go shooting together and we know we will be sharing firearms, we need a BGC to swap firearms. So before we leave we do BGCs. That is what I'm talking about.

The problem is this:
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.

(b) Except as provided in (a) of this subsection, the licensed dealer shall comply with all requirements of federal and state law that would apply if the licensed dealer were selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee, including but not limited to conducting a background check on the prospective purchaser or transferee in accordance with federal and state law requirements and fulfilling all federal and state recordkeeping requirements.

(e) The licensed dealer may charge a fee that reflects the fair market value of the administrative costs and efforts incurred by the licensed dealer for facilitating the sale or transfer of the firearm.

My interpretation is that the firearm must be either sold or transferred prior to changing possession of said firearm every time that a firearm moves from the possession of one to another. Therefore, a background check is required whenever the firearm changes possession unless it is granted special provisions from above.

(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; or (v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the
person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting,
provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law;

The law specifically exempts temporary transfers during hunting, or while target shooting with a direct family member at a legal shooting range. It can only be assumed that all other transfers are not exempt.

Why not to kind of by-pass this law, all gun owners in Washington apply to be FFLs. Sure you have to do all the paperwork, but that way you can buy and sell them back and forth as inventory items in your log books?

Just a side suggestion, don't know if this would work or not legally.

Why not to kind of by-pass this law, all gun owners in Washington apply to be FFLs. Sure you have to do all the paperwork, but that way you can buy and sell them back and forth as inventory items in your log books?

Or people can grow some bubbleguming balls and not follow this law at all.

594 also exempts Type 6 FFL holders, which is ammo manufacturers. That is the easiest and cheapest FFL to acquire at $30 per three years.

594 also exempts Type 6 FFL holders, which is ammo manufacturers. That is the easiest and cheapest FFL to acquire at $30 per three years.

I don't see where it says that. I do find where it says:
"Dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail who has, or is required to have, a federal firearms license..." but not FFL's more generically.

Did I miss something?

I don't see where it says that. I do find where it says:
"Dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail who has, or is required to have, a federal firearms license..." but not FFL's more generically.

Did I miss something?

Look at the definition of licensed dealer in 13. It refers to the federal code which includes all varieties of FFL except C&R.

As an FFL, you don't need to do checks.

New section 3 says that all transfers have to happen through a licensed dealer and undergo a BGC.

You're right about the dealer definition, but both transferor and transferee must be licensed as you noted.

The text doesn't appear to address the above possibility, which would be interesting if challenged in court. I can't imagine the Feds nor the state would be thrilled with a whole bunch of Type 6 FFL's coming through.

Now I'm not sure if the state would have any additional expectations of a type 6 FFL (as of commercial activity, that is.)

Or people can grow some bubbleguming balls and not follow this law at all.

Easier said than done.
From here on out, every firearm purchase you make will have a paper trail on it...soon to become a electronic paper trail. If you sell your firearm to your friend (or whatever) and that firearm becomes stolen or he uses it in a crime or worse....then they will just do a simple search thru the UBC database and find you. All future firearms purchases in Washington state will be tied to someone.

Ofcourse this only applies to us doing it legally and those that fear losing all our 2nd rights.

We need to repeal this illegal law.

And if this hasn't been enough of a drain on your gray matter:

More I-594 fallout as DOL, Revenue issue advisories

Yesterday's advisory from the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL), following Thursday's "Special Notice" from the Department of Revenue on "Tax Implications of Firearms transfers" have raised more questions about what voters handed to gun owners with passage of Initiative 594.

<broken link removed>

Well, I think I accidentally broke the law twice so far. First time was at the range on the 4th a guy I know from my club asked me about a gun I was shooting ( he is also in his 60's like me ) I asked him if he wanted to try it and loaded up a mag and handed it to him to try. Second was today, I was looking at a new Kimber at the FFL and asked to see it and was handed the gun and then handed it back to him without thinking. I guess I should have just walked out with it so I would not be breaking the law :confused: I plan on going back with my CZ 75D and see what they will give me on trade and will probably have to break the law to let him take a look at it.
Was this law really written to make people like me, a guy who is in his 60's,never been arrested ( that thing with an MP back in '71 doesn't count ) and has a CPL, into law breakers ? Cause that is what it is doing.:mad::mad::mad:

this is not the loophole you're looking for. a type 6 ffl needs to register with the state department under ITAR, $2250/yr even if you don't manufacture any ammo. this is a state deparment regulation, not atf.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top