JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Car jacking near Wash. Square nets arrest | Beaverton News

It's kind of hard to call a 20-year-old a pathetic kid, but he sure looks the part to me.

You can read the story yourself, including all the gratuitous comments about leaving him full of lead. Pretty appalling stuff, and not exactly the right message to send when our avowed purpose for CCW is defense.

Other commenters say they know him, that he's a quiet, responsible, decent guy.

But the strangest thing is what a Google of his name turned up:
Board of Directors « Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon
This guy apparently sits on the board of the Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon, as a policy advocate.

Anyway, this is no career criminal that the world would clearly be better off without. I wonder if he knows how lucky he is to still be breathing today.

Sounds like the guy was on a bad trip..lost girl friend? lost job? lost mind. We were on Greenburg about that time yesterday. Very happy for both him and us that he didn't try our car.

Car jacking near Wash. Square nets arrest | Beaverton News

It's kind of hard to call a 20-year-old a pathetic kid, but he sure looks the part to me.

You can read the story yourself, including all the gratuitous comments about leaving him full of lead. Pretty appalling stuff, and not exactly the right message to send when our avowed purpose for CCW is defense.

Other commenters say they know him, that he's a quiet, responsible, decent guy.

But the strangest thing is what a Google of his name turned up:
Board of Directors « Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon
This guy apparently sits on the board of the Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon, as a policy advocate.

Anyway, this is no career criminal that the world would clearly be better off without. I wonder if he knows how lucky he is to still be breathing today.

Could find no comments for 'filling him full of lead' in the news article you linked; but I did look at the APANO website, and it appeared to feature a fair amount of special pleading for social justice, which is kind of a code language used by aggrieved minorities who feel entitled to engage in anti-social activity based on their perceived prejudices.

I would say he may not be quite the gentle pooh-bear you think he is. One man's 'policy advocate' may be another man's weapon-wielding carjacker.

Knock one down for terrible policy maker, unless there's another filipino with the same name, could be the case.... its truly sad that people have thoughts like these and try and get away with it.
Im glad I wasn't walking down murray cause I fit the description....except im 6'2" and 240lbs..but I would've been royalty pissed since I know from cops show that they point guns at any car jacking suspects.

I disagree. Sounds like the world absolutely would be better off without him, career criminal or no.

I think he is entitled to a second chance, and lucky for him he'll get it once he gets out of prison.

Maybe not a third, fourth, umpteenth chance, but a second one, sure.

Could find no comments for 'filling him full of lead' in the news article you linked;carjacker.

"I wish this story would have ended with: 'The driver of the vehicle drew her licensed, concealed handgun and fired 6 rounds into the carjackers chest resulting in his death'. That would have been a happy ending"

"I would have left him with 13 rounds of Speer 45ACP."

These aren't gratuitous enough for you?

I don't think I'd shoot a car jacker to prevent his stealing my car... I'd certainly be entitled to under Oregon law (ORS 166.219), but the law allows me to do lots of things I wouldn't want to do. I'd shoot him to keep him from harming me or someone else, but I think I'd let him take the car if I thought I could safely do so. I really would prefer not to use the weapon I carry.

YMMV.

I don't think I'd shoot a car jacker to prevent his stealing my car... I'd certainly be entitled to under Oregon law (ORS 166.219), but the law allows me to do lots of things I wouldn't want to do. I'd shoot him to keep him from harming me or someone else, but I think I'd let him take the car if I thought I could safely do so. I really would prefer not to use the weapon I carry.

YMMV.

I can see your point, but I would definitely like to have been there and armed when a scumbag carjacker threw my 80 year old mother to the pavement and stole her car. I could care less about the car, but that incident changed my Mom forever and not for the better.

I think he is entitled to a second chance, and lucky for him he'll get it once he gets out of prison.

Maybe not a third, fourth, umpteenth chance, but a second one, sure.

I'd be willing to bet this is his third, fourth or umpteenth chance...with the ones before ending successfully for the little scumbag. Unlikely that this is a first-time deal.

I would also not shed a tear were someone to drop the hammer on this maggot.

I don't think I'd shoot a car jacker to prevent his stealing my car... I'd certainly be entitled to under Oregon law (ORS 161.219), but the law allows me to do lots of things I wouldn't want to do. I'd shoot him to keep him from harming me or someone else, but I think I'd let him take the car if I thought I could safely do so. I really would prefer not to use the weapon I carry.

YMMV.

+1 If I can avoid a "good shoot" safely, I will...

Hardly.

The comments giving this guy praise are indicative of ever other murderer/rapist/etc to make the news. Heck, the craigslist killer was going to medical school and engaged... Everyone praised him as a honest, humble, loving person who'd never harm a fly.

Honestly, I dont care if this man devoted his life to curing aids and rescuing children. He has now shown a propensity for unstable and violent behavior and that he is a danger to the public.
To say he is "entitled" to a second chance is absurd. What has he done to deserve that second chance? Is it simply because nobody has been killed, yet?

If he had been running at me with a shiv and screaming threats, your poster boy for reform would be sitting on an autopsy table right now.

There is no safe way to let him steel your car. I understand that it's the cover-all "P.C." term to use, but it's hogwash. At very best, your "safe" option would be to trust your life to the unstable and violent person who's running at you with a weapon.

The people who had their car stolen weren't unharmed because they were safe or smart, they were simply lucky.

Hardly.

The comments giving this guy praise are indicative of ever other murderer/rapist/etc to make the news. Heck, the craigslist killer was going to medical school and engaged... Everyone praised him as a honest, humble, loving person who'd never harm a fly.

Honestly, I dont care if this man devoted his life to curing aids and rescuing children. He has now shown a propensity for unstable and violent behavior and that he is a danger to the public.
To say he is "entitled" to a second chance is absurd. What has he done to deserve that second chance? Is it simply because nobody has been killed, yet?

If he had been running at me with a shiv and screaming threats, your poster boy for reform would be sitting on an autopsy table right now.

There is no safe way to let him steel your car. I understand that it's the cover-all "P.C." term to use, but it's hogwash. At very best, your "safe" option would be to trust your life to the unstable and violent person who's running at you with a weapon.

The people who had their car stolen weren't unharmed because they were safe or smart, they were simply lucky.

True enough.

Somehow, the first would-be vic simply drove away.
The second didn't resist and ended up without a scratch. Sure, it's luck, and sure, I'm not about to trust my life to some crazed guy with a screwdriver, but that's not the same as rubber-stamping his death as 'suicide-by-CCW.'
The people who were on the spot decided to not go medieval on the guy for whatever reason. Maybe they weren't both helpless sheep - maybe they consciously decided that they'd rather not hurt anybody is all. Who knows.

So my theory is, stay loose, stay light on your feet, and, knowing that you have that 'trump card' on your hip, be the first one to exercise patience and forbearance. Only the strong have the option to appear soft.

YMMV.

It's 161.219:

Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person.

It's 161.219:

Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person.

Interesting. There's nothing in (2) that says it has to be YOUR dwelling. I guess Joe Horn might've gotten away with it quicker and easier here than in Texas.
But he's still facing civil suits, of course.
Joe Horn shooting controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I wish this story would have ended with: 'The driver of the vehicle drew her licensed, concealed handgun and fired 6 rounds into the carjackers chest resulting in his death'. That would have been a happy ending"

"I would have left him with 13 rounds of Speer 45ACP."

Definitely gratuitous enough for me, I just scrolled right past the comments portion when I was reading the report and missed them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top