JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
P1200341.JPG

But I'm only going to do it once. Because there is only one reason I experimented with these once-fired aluminum cases. The 10mm Auto empty tends to get flung far away from the shooter, making recovery of the brass sometimes difficult. I will reserve these for times when I don't care where the "brass" goes.

I found about 60 of these on the ground when I went shooting near Darrington the other day. I didn't know CCI made aluminum case 10mm but then again, I never looked. Previously I've read all the words of wisdom about how you can't or shouldn't reload these. Nevertheless, I decided to experiment with these. Having some previous, successful experience loading unfired, pulled bullet .38 Special aluminum cases from RMR.

Reloading these presented absolutely no problems. I thought maybe I'd have to cement (using primer sealer) the 155 gr. Hornady XTP bullet in place in order to get sufficient bullet tension. That never happened. The resized cases held the seated bullet with a proper, substantial grip. My charge was at the low end using VV 3N37. They haven't been tried yet, but I don't see any issues coming up with them.

Very interesting, I've heard of people reloading these in lower pressure cartridges but a higher horsepower one. Be sure to single load the first couple and check for any case damage from escaping gasses. Also, eye and hand protection might not be a bad idea, I'd rather be overly cautious than hurt, lol. With stuff drying up this practice may become more common. Please let us know how they perform, after firing photos would be great as well!

I don't see a problem with this at all. It's probably not high grade aluminum but let's remember where aluminum also lives in firearms and vehicles. It can handle some abuse. Never seen anyone try it, though. Always thought of alum cases as throw away

View attachment 811528

But I'm only going to do it once. Because there is only one reason I experimented with these once-fired aluminum cases. The 10mm Auto empty tends to get flung far away from the shooter, making recovery of the brass sometimes difficult. I will reserve these for times when I don't care where the "brass" goes.

I found about 60 of these on the ground when I went shooting near Darrington the other day. I didn't know CCI made aluminum case 10mm but then again, I never looked. Previously I've read all the words of wisdom about how you can't or shouldn't reload these. Nevertheless, I decided to experiment with these. Having some previous, successful experience loading unfired, pulled bullet .38 Special aluminum cases from RMR.

Reloading these presented absolutely no problems. I thought maybe I'd have to cement (using primer sealer) the 155 gr. Hornady XTP bullet in place in order to get sufficient bullet tension. That never happened. The resized cases held the seated bullet with a proper, substantial grip. My charge was at the low end using VV 3N37. They haven't been tried yet, but I don't see any issues coming up with them.
I hope more members share experiences like this with unusual reloading stories. Good luck with firing of your rounds.

I wouldn't do it. Without doing the research and the math, but having 50+ years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer, my first thought is that aluminum cases are most probably designed such that the first (and only recommend) firing work hardens them nearly to their limit. Any subsequent working, as in sizing or firing, are likely to exceed their limits and result in failure. Also, the folks that designed and manufactured them specifically caution against reloading them for a reason.

Could be interent lore but: When CCI first developed the aluminum cases they reloaded them 15 - 20 times to prove their durability, so, technically, they can be reloaded.

Edit:

The primary reason not to reuse the aluminum cases has to do with corrosion. From the factory they have several coatings applied to the aluminum. Some are for lubricity, while others are to guard against corrosion.
When you resize the cases, the sizing action scrapes away the coatings, exposing the base aluminum. Aluminum does not corrode the way brass doe. While verdigris is a surface condition for brass, aluminum corrosion forms pits into the case wall. Depending on how bad, depends on how deep. You the human eye the corrosion pit merely seems to be a black dot. A small black dot.
Should the case rupture because of the corrosion, you have a jet of high pressure, hot gases that will erode the chamber, or breech of the gun. Since we don't know how bad (deep) the corrosion is by looking at it, we don't know when the case will rupture.
Part of my job at CCI-Speer included dealing with any customer problems. I had quite a collection of damaged guns ion my office - for a variety of causes. One of the first things I looked at if we could get (Blazer) ammunition back that had been involved in a problem was if the cases were corroded or not. Split aluminum cases that have a jagged, lightning bolt sort of pattern indicates the crack was due to corrosion - the crack is connecting the dots - the corrosion pits. A straight crack was normally due to a scratch or other mechanical damage to the casing.
Also, since reloading dies are designed for brass cases, the resizing action may not be "correct" for the aluminum (or steel, for that matter). There is a degree of springback after sizing that the reloading dies are designed for - for brass. The springback for aluminum of steel may be different (I haven't researched that). Some have mentioned problems with neck tension, and that's a definite possibility. Too tight may be be a real problem, but too loose can allow bullet setback. And we know that is bad since it increased pressure upon firing..
There's also the matter of internal volume. The factory develops the loadbased on the cartridge and the powder/bullet. The reloading date we have is all developed using brass cases. The internal volume of aluminum cases may be significantly different, so our loading results may vary greatly from what we expect.
Those are the main reasons. I personally feel ATK's economy move was a mistake, but they didn't ask me. I'm also not going to reload aluminum or steel cases.
Be careful!
Guy

Source: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/219557-cci-blaser-aluminum-cases/

Aluminum cases....Berdan Primers or Boxer Primers or whatever possibly propriety size. Should I even care or give it all that much thought? Rrrright.....when brass cased ammo and safe reloading information is so readily available in 10mm.

+++++++

Story Time.
I can remember a time when I went to the gun show. The seller had some foreign-made ammo on his table for sale. I asked if it was re-loadable.

Without blinking an eye he said, "Yes, it's re-loadable."

Looking closer.....I found it to be a brand that I was familiar with. It's Berdan primed ammo.

OK, Ok, ok.......even Berdan primers brass is reloadable. BUT.....with greater difficulty and where do you find Berdan primers in the USA?

Aloha, Mark

I have reloaded Aluminium 45.acp and fired it ONCE! However, This makes me think that I might just reload them again and giver'er a whirl again.

I went mid rage on the powder but did use Magnum primers (no idea why, just did).

I wouldn't do it. Without doing the research and the math, but having 50+ years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer, my first thought is that aluminum cases are most probably designed such that the first (and only recommend) firing work hardens them nearly to their limit. Any subsequent working, as in sizing or firing, are likely to exceed their limits and result in failure. Also, the folks that designed and manufactured them specifically caution against reloading them for a reason.
People have already been doing it successfully. Multiple times? Probably not, but one reload doesn't seem too extreme.

If the work hardening from firing is your concern you can anneal them
If case stretch is your concern you can measure and trim them.
And know that some aluminum can age harden on the shelf, whether it's a cartridge case or a length of bar stock.
jmo,
:s0092:

Very interesting, I've heard of people reloading these in lower pressure cartridges but a higher horsepower one. Be sure to single load the first couple and check for any case damage from escaping gasses. Also, eye and hand protection might not be a bad idea, I'd rather be overly cautious than hurt, lol. With stuff drying up this practice may become more common. Please let us know how they perform, after firing photos would be great as well!

Agreed. The online "conventional wisdom" (if there is such a thing) is that low end charges are a good idea when reloading aluminum cases.

I haven't sectioned one of these cases, but the thought occurred to me that knowing of the higher pressure in 10mm, the manufacturer may have compensated for this by making the 10mm case more robust than, say, .38 Special. Just a thought, no science.

I also chose to use a 155 gr. bullet, whereas I typically shoot 180's in 10mm. I don't know how friction figures into published pressure data but I thought a shorter bullet might present less friction and therefore, less pressure. Although lighter bullets usually call for higher charges, which I tried to offset with a low-end charge.

I wouldn't do it. Without doing the research and the math, but having 50+ years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer, my first thought is that aluminum cases are most probably designed such that the first (and only recommend) firing work hardens them nearly to their limit.

This is one of the opinions that I've read previously online. Another engineer-type cited the grade of aluminum used and he opined that aluminum strength degrades more from the first firing than brass. This is why I originally anticipated bullet tension that was less than satisfactory. Which I didn't encounter.

If the work hardening from firing is your concern you can anneal them

See note just above. Same engineer also mentioned annealing but at the same time explained why doing this to aluminum is much more delicate and complicated than doing same for brass (or some other metals). And therefore not worth the effort.

And know that some aluminum can age harden on the shelf,

Not to mention some cartridge brass that embrittles through age and under stress from bullet tension at the mouth.

When I test fire these, I will post the results.

Low end and one time only - Been doing this for a LONG time and never any issues.

I have experienced splits on 2nd time which is why I only do it one time now and besides, the reason I do it is to NOT have to chase the cases - such as on - the - run jackrabbit chasing!

Also I only pick them up when I find bright, nearly new ones. If they are dark at all they stay on the ground.

Just did a bunch of .45 ACP.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top