JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SIk05.png

I recently brought one of my project cars back from storing it at a friend's farm - complete with 4 wasp nests in it. I was about to get the wasp spray out and noticed that the wasps from the car were fighting with wasps that were local - It was quite enjoyable to see them killing each other off ;)

Odd that you have to go out of the country (Ebay) to purchase Rentokil powder that kills their nest. The same stuff the pros use here, but they won't sell it to you at the local hardware store. That white powder/shell stuff that they carry into the nest and it cuts them all to bits.

A friend of mine went through untold cans of spray trying to kill wasps off in his wall last summer with spray. Then he finally called a pro out with that white powder and they were all dead within a day.

Works on ants too -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rentokil-An...ants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item19bfdff4c0

Us pest control technicians have our licenses for a reason. the chemicals we buy have a much longer residual effects than that of commercially available insecticides. also we have to know the physiology of the insect that we're eradicating. with the above mentioned powder it states that you can kill varieties of ants. well first of that all depends on the actual you trying to treat for, such as carpenter ants. now with the smaller variety of ants commonly referred to as "sugar ants" these trackable powders and wettable powders also known as "sprays" don't actually do anything to kill the colony itself. now it may or may not kill the foragers you see outside or in the home but mostly what it's doing is disrupting there sent trails and pushing them into other parts of the house or to your neighbors house. the absolute best treatment method for the small variety of ants is baiting. .

Was attacked by bald face hornets a few years ago. Got stung 30 times or so, mostly in the back as I was running through the woods. A few of them chased me through the woods for around 100 yards before they stopped. The sting feels like a knife going in......pretty painful. Looked around and didnt know where I was.....but found my way out after 15 minutes or so. Wasnt able to get back the the nest and kill them. Bastards.

As a kid I have shot many of those Bald face hornets nests with my trusty 12 guage - only back then we did not know what they were - just thought of them as hornets. We'd find them down along the drianage ditch. Today I am not so sure I would shoot at those nests for no good reason. Neve got stung any of the times we shot thier nests, luckily.

James Ruby

A few years ago there was a Bald Face Hornet nest in my lilacs. I found that they would avoid a person standing around not threatening them. Anyhow; when I saw them hauling those little 1/2inch slugs back to the nest they became my buddies.

I have used my one gallon weed pump sprayer (set the nozzle on a fine mist) and acetone to good effect when battling ol' baldy and his cousins.
The acetone enters the hornets thorax instantly and they are dead before they hit the ground. I wait until nightfall to make sure I get all of them inside the nest, plus the acetone evaporates quickly without leaving a residue.

My closest brush with getting stung to death by bald faced hornets was when I was crawling through a very tight section of an attic.
It was a 10' long triangle shaped tunnel leading to the enclosed screened porch roof of a 1915 house.
The owner of the house asked me to pull a new 14/2 gauge house wire to the new security light fixture he was installing.
It was way to tight for him to transverse, and since I am fairly slim the job fell to me.
I tied the wire to my ankle and proceeded to squirm my way along the tunnel and as I got to the gable roof section, I saw his hand sticking up from the 4" hole he had drilled in the ceiling. What I didn't see was the huge hornets nest (basket ball size) in the corner.
While dragging the wire along the tunnel, a loop of it flipped over and smashed into the nest. The hornets as you can imagine, boiled out of the gash and went looking for the culprit.
As I was laying down next to the nest in total shock, all I saw in the pitch dark attic was a steady stream of the most P-ssed off hornets heading down the hole and finding what they were looking for. The poor guy never new what hit him, one second he's asking for the wire and the next he is getting a face-full of pure angry hell.
I heard the ladder falling over, a couple of "what the f--ks" and the sound of him jumping through the screen window.
I, on the other hand had no escape avenue. The hornets hadn't found me yet, as they were too busy trying to kill the homeowner.
I kicked a hole in the new sheet rock between the studs and dove into the upstairs bedroom.
I never did get stung, because the ones following me decided the guys wife, who was sitting on the bed reading a magazine was the better target for their attention.
Sting count was (me) 0, (wife) 9, (husband) two many to count and he went to the hospital.

bald faced hornets are slightly less common because they only yield a certain amount of queens per season. secondly it is very uncommon for bald faced hornets to be in the actual house itself. they mainly build nests off of branches, fence lines, and other outdoor extensions. bumble bees who look sort of like bald face hornets to the untrained eye will and commonly do nest in wall voids and attics where entry is easily accessible. now that iisn't to say that you didn't treat a bald faced hornets nest. it's just very uncommon. had it been a bald face hornets nest they have anywhere from 5 to 10 centuries outside of the nest at all times. it's their entire life. the slightest vibration and light will in fact provoke an attack. yellow jackets as well as bald faced hornets are instinctually programmed to attack the face first. not trying to step on any toes and correct folks. there's just a lot of common misconception in the insect world much like in the firearms world.

Man, i am at war with the ones who thing the eaves and corners outside are theirs......angry angry things. yellowjackets and hornets in an allied force.

We have a bald face nest that my wife wanted to keep. It had to sit in my car for a long time to make sure all the critters inside were dead (the car was not in use at the time). when i first moved out here, i thought they were the black bumblebees. boy was i wrong lol.

Man, i am at war with the ones who thing the eaves and corners outside are theirs......angry angry things. yellowjackets and hornets in an allied force.

We have a bald face nest that my wife wanted to keep. It had to sit in my car for a long time to make sure all the critters inside were dead (the car was not in use at the time). when i first moved out here, i thought they were the black bumblebees. boy was i wrong lol.

What the hell is wrong with your wife?!

bald faced hornets are slightly less common because they only yield a certain amount of queens per season. secondly it is very uncommon for bald faced hornets to be in the actual house itself. they mainly build nests off of branches, fence lines, and other outdoor extensions. bumble bees who look sort of like bald face hornets to the untrained eye will and commonly do nest in wall voids and attics where entry is easily accessible. now that iisn't to say that you didn't treat a bald faced hornets nest. it's just very uncommon. had it been a bald face hornets nest they have anywhere from 5 to 10 centuries outside of the nest at all times. it's their entire life. the slightest vibration and light will in fact provoke an attack. yellow jackets as well as bald faced hornets are instinctually programmed to attack the face first. not trying to step on any toes and correct folks. there's just a lot of common misconception in the insect world much like in the firearms world.

This nest initially started in the vent louvers which had rotted away from the roof leaking and left a big hole under eve. The wife had been complaining for years about getting it fixed so racoons or other creatures wouldn't get in. It was half in the attic and half outside under the eve.

A few years ago there was a Bald Face Hornet nest in my lilacs. I found that they would avoid a person standing around not threatening them. Anyhow; when I say them hauling those little 1/2inch slugs back to the nest they became my buddies.

Bald face hornets eat yellow jackets like their candy. They are the apex winged predator of the insect world. Go team!

The stupidest thing I ever did as a kid was to mess with a yellowjacket nest. I was about 10 and was messing around over at a neighbors house when I saw couple of yellowjackets go down into a hole in the ground. I was on my bicycle and started plugging the hole up by rolling my bike tire over it for a few seconds. About the third time I did that I left my bike tire over the hole for about 30 seconds. When I rolled the tire off of the hole, a yellowjacket tornado came out of the hole all around me and the up the leg of my jeans. I dont remember screaming, but was told later that my Mom thought I was being butchered! I ran home about two doors away and my Mom met me in the front yard and shucked my jeans off right there. 13 stings in all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top