JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know why the A-team never shot anyone? Because the stupid mini's would never hit what they were shooting at!

As far as mini's go, they are good and reliable with ruger factory mags, they are completely worthless with aftermarket mags.

I think $550 is a more reasonable price. Also NC-STAR anything is worthless, the packaging probably cost more than the contents.

I thought the A-team had those special flower pot seeking bullets...

Rag on the mini all you want but this is the Preparedness & Survival forum and I know many who value the mini-14 in that capacity. The new thicker barrel brings accuracy up to a respectable level and with stock mags you would be hard pressed to find another semi that will always go bang in less than ideal conditions. I won't argue that prices were getting too high even before the troubles and it's not going to ever be a sniper rifle but It's my preference for all around SHTF.
My 1st mini was an A-team style SS with a folding wooden stock BTW. Wish I still had it!

Rag on the mini all you want but this is the Preparedness & Survival forum and I know many who value the mini-14 in that capacity. The new thicker barrel brings accuracy up to a respectable level and with stock mags you would be hard pressed to find another semi that will always go bang in less than ideal conditions. I won't argue that prices were getting too high even before the troubles and it's not going to ever be a sniper rifle but It's my preference for all around SHTF.
My 1st mini was an A-team style SS with a folding wooden stock BTW. Wish I still had it!

I like them, and agree that prices are out of hand, to say the least. I should have grabbed one before the panic.

I have a few minis. I will always have a mini.
I like them priced at 350. Even old skinny barrel ones.
I did pay nearly msrp for a new stainless 30, and I don't regret it.
Not a target rifle, but they just run.

I purchased a NIB blue heavy barrel with a single 20 mag for $580, but this was about a year ago. I don't see the price going down anytime soon. My Mini shoots 1"-1.25" @100 groups with my reloads.

When evaluating the accuracy of the Mini-14, one needs to consider the accuracy of the tried-and-true M1 Garand, with which WWII was won.

An off-the-rack Garand will shoot 3-6 MOA. Often they will suffer Point of Impact changes in rapid fire. This can be reduced to 2 MOA with minimal POA change by a skilled armorer using stock parts. An early Mini with the skinny barrel off-the-rack is comparable to the Garand in accuracy.

If you need more accuracy, get an AR. ;)

"If you need more accuracy, get an AR."

The major impediment to the Garand platform's accuracy is the mass of the moving parts that slam back and forth during recoil, this is the reason that the M-14 has a 2 part operating rod/ piston vs the M-1's one piece rod/piston. The mini's op rod is actually heavier than an M-14's and so the impact upon the receiver is greater creating waves of vibrations running through the receiver and barrel. Adding mass/stiffness to the barrel reduces the effect of these vibrations and increases accuracy. there are several tricks to reduce the impact of the moving parts, adding 1911 recoil buffers to the rear of the gas piston and the base of the recoil spring. Shortening the barrel and adding mass via a muzzle break or stiffening rod work as well.

"If you need more accuracy, get an AR."

The major impediment to the Garand platform's accuracy is the mass of the moving parts that slam back and forth during recoil, this is the reason that the M-14 has a 2 part operating rod/ piston vs the M-1's one piece rod/piston. The mini's op rod is actually heavier than an M-14's and so the impact upon the receiver is greater creating waves of vibrations running through the receiver and barrel. Adding mass/stiffness to the barrel reduces the effect of these vibrations and increases accuracy. there are several tricks to reduce the impact of the moving parts, adding 1911 recoil buffers to the rear of the gas piston and the base of the recoil spring. Shortening the barrel and adding mass via a muzzle break or stiffening rod work as well.

Agreed, but I was speaking of owners who don't have the money or skills to modify their Mini's. Many have improved the accuracy of their Mini's to MOA or less, even the early thin-barrel ones.

My comment was geared to "off the rack" guns. And the lower-priced AR's aren't stellar performers, either. My real point was that even the early, unmodified Mini shoots with "WWII battle rifle" accuracy.

For the SHTF ??? you would be better off buying a Colt, BCM or Daniel Defence AR 15. These listed ARs will be more reliable, longer lasting AND easier to fix PLUS THE PARTS ARE EASIER TO GET. [you will be smart enough to buy consumable high quality parts and and ammo ,IN ADVANCE] The magazines are way cheaper. The prices are now dropping. So $700 for a mini or $1000 for an top quality AR ?

For the SHTF ??? you would be better off buying a Colt, BCM or Daniel Defence AR 15. These listed ARs will be more reliable, longer lasting AND easier to fix PLUS THE PARTS ARE EASIER TO GET. [you will be smart enough to buy consumable high quality parts and and ammo ,IN ADVANCE] The magazines are way cheaper. The prices are now dropping. So $700 for a mini or $1000 for an top quality AR ?

Aw, man. I barely remember posting this thread, hahaha. Well, things have changed, and it looks like an AK of some sort will be my next purchase. It is great to see prices finally dropping, though.

AKs work well!

They sure do! Besides, owning one is considered a rite of Passage in my family. If I don`t get one soon, I might be viewed as some kinda hippie. ultimate warrior.jpg

ultimate warrior.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top