JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So an opportunity has arisen for me to get my hands on a Ruger mini-14. I`ve considered one for a while, but figured I`d better ask you fine folks about what I`d be using it for (That is, Screwing around in the woods, and a rifle for when S H`s TF). So should I go for it? It`s the Tactical model. I`m likely to throw a different stock on it too.

Price?
Make sure youre not buying into a "panic priced platform"
Also, whats the magazine ratio? (How many included)
Whats it chambered for? Just .223 or is this the newer 556 model?

If its the 556 model and youre buying the platform and a few mags for less than you could get an AR right now then yes, go for it.

Price?
Make sure youre not buying into a "panic priced platform"
Also, whats the magazine ratio? (How many included)
Whats it chambered for? Just .223 or is this the newer 556 model?

If its the 556 model and youre buying the platform and a few mags for less than you could get an AR right now then yes, go for it.

He wants $700, but I can probably talk him down. It comes with 1 20-rounder, and 2 30 round mags, along with 130 rounds of ammo. I don`t know if it`s the newer model, I`m new to Rugers. He says it was bought in April of 2011.

He wants $700, but I can probably talk him down. It comes with 1 20-rounder, and 2 30 round mags, along with 130 rounds of ammo. I don`t know if it`s the newer model, I`m new to Rugers. He says it was bought in April of 2011.

Forgot to mention that it also has an NCStar 3-9x42 red laser scope, B-Square mount, and a Winchester aluminum case. I`m not too interested in the Scope, I`d be likely to throw a red dot on it. Ranges out where I am aren`t long enough to justify a real scope. Red Dots are fine.

Make sure it's the 580 series and also NOT the target model if you want to shoot both .223 and .556. Also be careful some of the early 580 series had the old skinny barrel. The new style is tapered. If all this is right sounds like a good deal. The B square mount was used on the old ones as the new ones have integrated scope mounts. Maybe this mount is used so you can shoot iron sights and scope? I've got a 580 that Is accurate enough for me. 3" groups at 100yds all day, no jams no problems.

Make sure it's the 580 series and also NOT the target model if you want to shoot both .223 and .556. Also be careful some of the early 580 series had the old skinny barrel. The new style is tapered. If all this is right sounds like a good deal. The B square mount was used on the old ones as the new ones have integrated scope mounts. Maybe this mount is used so you can shoot iron sights and scope? I've got a 580 that Is accurate enough for me. 3" groups at 100yds all day, no jams no problems.

According to him, it`s from the "Model 5847-RUG Mini-14 Tactical Rifle, 16.12" heavy barrel". Yes, I did just copy/paste. So sue me, hahaha.

If it's the one on ARMSLIST currently It looks like the tapered heavy barrel from the blurry pic but can't be sure. It probably is cause the skinny 580 is a rarity. If its not beat up I'd go for it. The 30 rd mags might not be reliable as the factory 20 though. I'd talk him down a little if you can.

p.s. ask him for the orig. scope rings too.

If it's the one on ARMSLIST currently It looks like the tapered heavy barrel from the blurry pic but can't be sure. It probably is cause the skinny 580 is a rarity. If its not beat up I'd go for it. The 30 rd mags might not be reliable as the factory 20 though. I'd talk him down a little if you can.

It probably is the one on armslist.
ARMSLIST - For Sale: Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rifle

PerfectUnion.com | Shooting Sports Forum This site has a lot of mini info. Sounds like a fair deal though. I've got the all weather ranch SS model with the same stock. I can shoot under 3" with it and your model has a shorter barrel so less barrel whip? If mine was stolen I'd get another and I owned one back in the early 80s so I guess I'm hooked. Good Luck!

Thank you. I`ve been looking for a utility rifle, and to get into the semi-auto game, this looks perfect. Besides, if I end up disliking it, I could always sell or trade for something else.

I think you'll find that the Tactical w/forged barrel shoots pretty good. My highly modified old style mini will shoot 1.75 MOA w/bulk ammo. Considering the price of ARs and AKs it seems a great price
The NC Star scope will break soon, get a 2-7 scope replacement, perfect for your rifle/caliber
BTW don't get distraught over the 223/556 meme; while it's true that Some 223 chambers are very tight (think varmint/target rifles) the majority of semi-auto's chambers are loose by design. the whole 556 thing is a non-starter and concerns the looser Chamber Dimensions of FA guns more than it does the ammo

I think you'll find that the Tactical w/forged barrel shoots pretty good. My highly modified old style mini will shoot 1.75 MOA w/bulk ammo. Considering the price of ARs and AKs it seems a great price
The NC Star scope will break soon, get a 2-7 scope replacement, perfect for your rifle/caliber
BTW don't get distraught over the 223/556 meme; while it's true that Some 223 chambers are very tight (think varmint/target rifles) the majority of semi-auto's chambers are loose by design. the whole 556 thing is a non-starter and concerns the looser Chamber Dimensions of FA guns more than it does the ammo

I know the scope would break, It`s NCstar for pete`s sake. I have been seeing AKs coming down in price recently, so I think I might take that route instead, seeing as replacement parts are always going to exist.

On occasion I've shot some 2" groups and feel a better shooter could do more with it. I've got a 2-7 Redfield Revolution that's a perfect match. Under 3 is more typical though. No mods on mine either.

The A-Team would only be proud if it was an older stainless government model with the folding stock. If I had unlimited funds to buy overpriced guns, I would own one of these, just for the nostalgia...

The A-Team would only be proud if it was an older stainless government model with the folding stock. If I had unlimited funds to buy overpriced guns, I would own one of these, just for the nostalgia...

Agreed, If I had the funds, I would buy and/or build replicas of famous movie and TV weapons myself.

Hannibal, Face, Murdock and B.A. would be so proud.

You know why the A-team never shot anyone? Because the stupid mini's would never hit what they were shooting at!

As far as mini's go, they are good and reliable with ruger factory mags, they are completely worthless with aftermarket mags.

I think $550 is a more reasonable price. Also NC-STAR anything is worthless, the packaging probably cost more than the contents.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top