Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

YANKEE HILL FLUTED BARRELL..........

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jmac3434, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jmac3434

jmac3434 SE portland Member

does anyone have any experience or has one on their AR, with the YHM diamond fluted barrell? looking for any info on them, on accuracy, fit & finish, and does the fluting really do anything but looks? thanks Yankee Hill 6.8 Barrel fluted and threaded.jpg

Yankee Hill 6.8 Barrel fluted and threaded.jpg

2. nubus

nubus Guest

Fluting is for looks, weight loss and cooling only.
    They are wicked cool looking though!

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I've been looking into barrels and how they are made.The conclusion is that fluted barrels are mostly for looks. Yes the fluting cools the barrel faster,but the mass is less and it may heat up faster in the first place,compared to a bull barrel
    So I guess there is some trade off there,with how many rounds make the fluting viable.
    But they do look cool

Oh and never saw Yankee Hill in my searches.

4. markmx

markmx Brooks, OR Member

I have one for about two years now and it has great results, looks good and it's very accurate. Not to say any others are less accurate. My barrel is 18" and I use it for hunting so not worried about heating it up. Did I mention it looks awsome. Hope this helps ;)

5. jmac3434

all the info helps for sure, you buy chance got any pics of it on your rifle? how many rounds have you put through it so far?

6. markmx

markmx Brooks, OR Member

I don't have any pic's at this time, i've put about 180 +/- rounds down it using a Nikon m-.223 3-12x42, sighted at 100yds at less than an inch whitch is good enough for me. I like it.

Mark

7. jmac3434

sounds good, thanks for the info.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's been he!! getting one this year but finally I found a great price on one even tho we had to wait 3+ weeks. Fluting is also supposed to stiffen the barrel but I am not sure the diamond fluting is the same as straight fluting. It will be here next week and it's for my gal's new carbine which has taken forever cause I wanted the best parts and accessories and optics we could afford.. I'll post up with continuing reviews as we break it in and get groups

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Have completed her build and so far the barrel looks good.. will give range report ASAP

dsc00928p.jpg