JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No reviews?

Having a company gathering on the range tomorrow and will likely be checking this out.

My usual spot is farther away and probably under a lot of snow right now.

Anyone have experience in this area? Guess on elevation? Likely to be snowed in right now?

Unless Im convinced otherwise, we are heading up in the morning........ Ill post some pics and a review later on :cool:

For the last couple years it has been closed to shooting, as the State is actively using the pit for gravel. Hasn't stopped people from shooting there, as the grandkids and I have hauled off a lot of riddled garbage, shotgun hulls, etc. Rarely see any decent brass.

Drove roads 1500 and 1600 on Wednesday, checking conditions at regularly used shooting sites. All the No Shooting signs at Jackson Pit are gone!

Went back today with the three grandsons and we had the whole place to ourselves from 9 am to 3:15 pm. There was a homeless guy was there this morning, sleeping in his truck, but he left as soon as we started setting up. Filled a 32 gallon trash can with shotgun hulls, empty cartridge boxes, soda and beer cans, etc. Could have filled 3-4 more.
Bob

Addition, for @Cogs
- someone dumped yard debris right behind the first line of boulders
08.jpg

picked debris at the top of the road, where the pit begins
09.jpg

From the front of the table to the steel targets was a laser-ranged 100 yards. The collapsible garbage container was about 3/4 full when we left.
10.jpg

Most of the larger junk was to the right, against the north wall. Still not as bad as on some previous visits.
11.jpg

Last Edited:
I think there's another thread that the state of Washington close public lands for target shooting due to fire danger

@vancouvercraig see

Yeah, Vancouver, we be closed for now (Yacolt Burn is State DNR mng'd land). No word on when State lands will reopen, but will do so when temps & conditions improve. For now, our only public lands still open are federal Nat Forests & BLM, otherwise Oregon.

Now would be a good time for a couple hour cleanup up in the Burn! I'm going to try to get up there this weekend a bag a couple. If not this weekend, I'll be able to get some the next.

Nunchuks posted a new question on the resource Yacolt Burn Jackson Pit.
The GPS is on the interweb, you just haven't found the right website yet. Here it is...
Trash No Land.org
Zoom in and click on the shooter icons in the interactive map on the home page.

You won't be able to get there now, or for the rest of the winter, because of the fire this summer. All the roads are closed due to hazards and work being done. Might want to look elsewhere.

And yes, we all appreciate fellow shooters cleaning up as we go. Thanks!

The GPS is on the interweb, you just haven't found the right website yet. Here it is...
Trash No Land.org
Zoom in and click on the shooter icons in the interactive map on the home page.

You won't be able to get there now, or for the rest of the winter, because of the fire this summer. All the roads are closed due to hazards and work being done. Might want to look elsewhere.

And yes, we all appreciate fellow shooters cleaning up as we go. Thanks!
Thanks Cogs, TNL website doesn't indicate closed at this though?!

Has anyone been out to Jackson Pit lately? Wondering what conditions are like right now.

I think it's still full of rock crushing equipment. It was last month, but haven't seen it since. It looked like a big project, so they might be there a while. I'm meeting with DNR tomorrow evening and will see if I can get an update.

Bill
Thanks for the update. Do you happen to know if the small pit off of 1200 is accessible?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.