JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With 4" S&W M66 using 158 gr .38 spl handloads that have chrono-ed at about 900 fps.

Anyone with experience who can offer advice, etc?

I haven't done much in the way of distance shooting, but decided to check out this combo--my everyday carry--to see whether I can hit the side of the proverbial barn and how much drop at that range. I was able to place most shots on a silhouette with my forearms resting on the shooting bench.

XS says to center the front dot on targets up to 15 yds and the top of the dot beyond that. At 50 yds, centering the dot seemed to place the shot best.

I didn't try offhand at this distance, but to my surprise I find I can't do well from braced positions shorter distances. Can't figure out why the heck that would be and it is very frustrating since I am hoping to improve accuracy over offhand.

I've never had any luck shooting a handgun with my forearms resting atop sandbags or such off the bench.
Ideally, your normal grip should be laid on the bags or very slightly in front of it.. don't make hard contact with the butt of the gun on the bag(s) but good shooting can be done doing that.
I tried to find a pic online but can't.
Also, I've never used those dumb little V "bags" or metal Y tripod thingies either. Use some bags, what's available or just your body on the bench or prone or whatever.
Also, when benching a handgun, relax your body sideways against the bench and ideally your head is supported by your deltoid and your forearms are on the bench as much as possible.
good luck
Oh, I have some XS sights and find them accurate. That load sounds pretty flat and probably only drops a few inches between 25 and 50.

I put XS big dots on a G19 a few years back. For close range stuff they worked like a charm, basically point and shoot. Anything past 20 feet I couldn't do very well with them. Mostly as the front dot covered too much of the target.

I'm concerned that combat could end up being across a theater, large conference room, cafetaria, etc. from someone with a rifle so do want to know what my capabilities are in these situations.

Like RicinOR said "I have a set on a Shield. I am on target at 20 yds. They are combat sights." I feel the same way.

In any case, that's, what ..... 60 feet? That's a pretty long distance, and I bet if you are good at that distance you can probably go a little better than that. I'd say practice until you can get accurate with your sighting system at the distance you want to be accurate at. If that sighting system can't get you there, look at other options.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top