JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you read some instructors who sample the students - even though the student doesnt' remember using the sights, it doesn't mean they're not using them. Some instructors have conducted experiments on a square range and during FOF classes - giving students guns with sights, and guns without any sights. During stress drills - the students with sights on the guns score more, and better hits with the sighted guns. You will subconsciously use your sights - even if it's just the front sight being somewhere in the picture - you will cue onto that aiming point. Any time the gun is up in your visual plane, you will use your sights. If the gun is out of your visual plane, true point shooting using a body index is what you'll wind up doing. I've practiced point shooting, sighted shooting - and in a pinch at close range using the slide as your sight will work on a man sized target inside of 10 yards. You may not get COM hits, but you'll get hits.

As for Big Dots not being accurate - love him or hate him - James Yeager has done a good job of disproving this - scoring accurate hits at 100 yards and beyond, even upside down. Using the big dots, not the standard dot. If you want more precision, you can go with the standard dot - but at distance the top of the dot becomes your aiming point. Close in - put the golf ball on the target and pull the trigger - likeyou would with a red dot.

I want a shallow V or straight edge rear sight and a fiberoptic front sight for my Glock 34 IDPA pistol. Because while combat action shooting now that I'm older and not as steady sometimes I lose the front sight behind the leaves of standard rear sights.

Fast moving simulated action shooting for 20 yrs of USPSA and IDPA has taught me that I don't need sights for short distances using the slide will get me hits. At intermediate distances I only use the front sight. And for longer distances I use both sights. The V or straight edge rear is still faster IMO.

As far as the Big Dot goes, try them! And the smaller dot option. Then use what works for your ability and training. Trying to fit all users into one box with rigidity is just foolish guys!!!!

I've run many Force on Force classes. Where distances are anywhere from contact to 10 yards. In every class, to make a point, I ask students what kind of sight picture they see. Invariably, they admit that they see no sights at all...just the slide superimposed on the opponents body.

They make hits just fine. That's with pressure, moving at full speed, with sims flying back at them.

Point shooting does work, in fact it's very natural. People over complicate things.

Cooper knew what he was talking about but he also wasn't as absolutist as people think. He was practical and realized that different tools work for different circumstances.

Anyway, not saying that the XS sights are a bad product, simply stating they are for a specific problem. If they work for a guy, great. But when he stretches his abilities he will find their limitations.

For me personally the answer to this issue has always been "both-and". I have been taught point shooting/target focused shooting AND front sight focus target shooting. At this stage of my shooting "career" I comfortably use whatever method will get me to hit the target accurately and quickly. When I practice I practice some of both these styles. I feel comfortable engaging a target with whatever is needed. I always say to each their own. :) Other's results may vary. BTW-the pic posted of my target was shot aimed front sight fire. Placed the front sight so it covered the bulls eye and squeezed the shots off at about 1 second per. No changes for longer distances. Pops

Let's talk about Big Dot sights and gunfighting... the only hard and fast rule of gunfighting is................ Bring a gun!!! And it's corollaries: Bring two guns. Bring a friend with a gun. Bring lots of friends with guns! And if you have the wherewithall... bring shoulder launched missiles. Bring vehicles that launch missiles. etc.

I've had 24/7 Big Dot tritium sights on my Glock 19 for 15 years. When I first tried them I sucked and I wasn't sure they worked for me. Then I went home and actually read the directions on how to use them and things turned around but it still took about 200 rounds to get comfortable with them. Like anything else proficiency comes with experience. I have zero problems placing accurate, precision shots at distance with them. I've heard all the "expert" theories about how traditional pistol sights are superior and why XS Express sights are inferior but I shoot accurately the same with both. I prefer XS Express sights because they are faster for me at all ranges.

FWIW, I dislike 3-dot sights as I find them to be visually too busy.

Let's talk about Big Dot sights and gunfighting... the only hard and fast rule of gunfighting is................ Bring a gun!!! And it's corollaries: Bring two guns. Bring a friend with a gun. Bring lots of friends with guns! And if you have the wherewithall... bring shoulder launched missiles. Bring vehicles that launch missiles. etc.
Groan. Only hits count. Fancy or slow, in the final analysis. Only hits count. Keep the cuteness.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top