JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would be a better take to the range or all around gun for a gift for my father inlaw? Torn between a beautiful 1951 marlin 336a. It had nice character and wear on it. Not abused looking but not brand new either. Just had that "I got plenty more life in me" look.

Or just a plain ole brand new 12G pump. I actually want the 30-30 for myself. But it's the season to be giving.......

I have a soft spot for the old Marlins. My first deer rifle was a 336C in .32 Win Spec. When I bought my son his first deer rifle I almost bought a brand new Marlin 336C in .30-30 but the quality of the modern gun was lacking. Stamped checkering, stained ash stocks, rough action, and poor finish on the metal were what turned me off. I went to Gun Broker in Clackamas and found a beautiful 1950's 336C in .30-30 for about the same money, but oh, what a difference in quality! Hand checkered walnut stocks, a butter smooth action, and a deep blue job. I'd go for the old Marlin every time.

I figured get him the marlin. Let him spend time refinishing the wood and keep it nice. And some day my son will get to shoot it. I'm more into my ak's and "she" don't want another personal gun purchase this year :(

So in a way I feel it'll be a nice buy.

What would be a better take to the range or all around gun for a gift for my father inlaw? Torn between a beautiful 1951 marlin 336a. It had nice character and wear on it. Not abused looking but not brand new either. Just had that "I got plenty more life in me" look.

Or just a plain ole brand new 12G pump. I actually want the 30-30 for myself. But it's the season to be giving.......

Miles,

Please tell me that your screen name and your posts are all an elaborate ruse, and your name is really Ashley. And you're on NWFA in order to figure out the perfect gun to put under my Christmas tree.

Have I mentioned that my daughter-in-law Ashley is the most beautiful, smart, and generous gal I've ever met?

Miles/Ashley: The Marlin. Definitely, the Marlin.

He's not much of a shooter. Maybe gets out 3-4 times a year. This will be his first lever action rifle. He has an ar15 just shoot at the range. He's more so into his baby desert eagle 9mm. Classic car kinda guy. So we think he'll appreciate the imperfect finish.

Miles,

Please tell me that your screen name and your posts are all an elaborate ruse, and your name is really Ashley. And you're on NWFA in order to figure out the perfect gun to put under my Christmas tree.

Have I mentioned that my daughter-in-law Ashley is the most beautiful, smart, and generous gal I've ever met?

Miles/Ashley: The Marlin. Definitely, the Marlin.

I was hoping that his real name was Will who is the most fantastic son-in-law ever. BTW: all I want for Christmas is the love of my family. My kids have better things to spend their money on (namely my grandkids).

I got my old Dad a beautiful Kimber 1911, blued with nice walnut grips, back when Kimber was first starting out with them. Just in rememberance of when he had one in WWII on Okinawa, etc. I don't know if he shot it much; old men tend to favor .22s! It came back to me when he died some years later.

Wouldn't a Marlin 39 lever 22s/l/lr be the better choice?

Edit: I didn't realize until right now that you chose the Marlin 336a. Great choice! a piece of history is hard to beat!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads