JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am starting an XM177e2 clone build. Please chime in with any pictures of your old school M16 clone builds.

I know, I know...... Colt now has an Xm177e2 clone they have branded with their name for $2400. Troy and Brownells now make one for around $1200 also.

I am doing this for the satisfaction and challenge of doing most of it myself. It is being done on a form 1 as an SBR. I have other SBR's I have done on a form 1 and it is an added cost but I really enjoy seeing them in their originally intended barrel length.

I started my build with a $46 dollar 80% lower in the white. It was an A2 reinforced lower I reprofiled into an A1 lower. I used my milling machine, files and sandpaper to get it to where I wanted.

The upper is a Nodak Spud I bought at Brownells as a blem on clearance for $90.

The barrel I will use is an 11.5 inch 1/12 twist, which is on sale for $209 at Brownells, certain times of the year. It is listed as an A1 barrel on their site. It is the proper profile and .625 diameter under the sight tower. There are a few changes to make it 100% like a Vietnam era E2 barrel, which is what I'm going for. I will remove the bayonet lug, take the rivet out of the front sling swivel and replace it with a roll pin. Also the front of the barrel has a slight flare before the barrel threads. Originals were straight so it will need to be turned in a lathe to make it straight.

I plan to have the lower engraved with the period colt logo and info and then I will have it anodized Colt XM Grey.

I just found an original pair of period Colt handguards, paid more than I would have liked but I wanted them for their shiny martial appearance.

Lots of research and details about these models.

I found a 2 position receiver extension from Brownells for $22. I am looking for an aluminum Colt style stock now.

I still need lots of small parts and.....more moneyo_O.

The Gray finish you see on it is temporary. I sprayed the upper and lower with dark gray automotive primer. I couldn't wait to see what it would look like.

Ok now show me your projects! They don't have to be purist originals either, I love them all. 0725182129_HDR.jpg 0725182129.jpg 0725182209.jpg 0725182209a.jpg 0727182330.jpg 0727182330a.jpg 0804181356c.jpg 0804181356a.jpg 0814181814a.jpg 0814181814b.jpg 0814181818.jpg 0814181819.jpg

Last Edited:
FWIW the ones I had while "In Country" all had the Bird Cage type Suppressor. And IIRC they also had a Bayonet Lug. As far as I know they were the first ones over there.

^

I will be putting the moderator on this when I get a chance to order one. This model didn't have the bayonet lug, but this was the last model of Car15 used in Vietnam.

KKG,

What outfit were you with and what years were you in country? I have a good deal of respect for you and those who served over there. Thank you and Welcome home!

Last Edited:
I was a Small Arms Repairman and Division Small Arms Inspector with the Main Support Detachment, 27th Maintenance Battlion, 1st Cav. Div. for 13 months from '69-'71. It looks like you are doing a fine job.

KKG,

Were you down in III Corp then. What province or bases were you stationed at.

Did you ever work on vehicles over there? Here's one of my projects. It may look familiar to you ;) 0610171026b.jpg

Looks very familiar. I was stationed in a place called Phouc Vihn but spent most of my time traveling from one place to another. As the Division Small Arms Inspector I traveled from one end of the Corp Area to the other. I worked on everything from Surpressed .22 Rimfire Rugers to 106mm Recoilless Rifles mounted on Jeeps but the vehicles were somebody elses headache. That rig does look good.:)

They did make a good Subgun. It's the only platform that was worth anything in my mind. When I was on the road carried one because it was easier to handle than an M-16A1 and if I was looking for or in need of a Rifle I had an M-14 with a Selector Switch.:rolleyes:

Andy,

I am glad you like the thread. Did you also serve in Vietnam or state side?

Fear of felonies keep us law abiding folks from doing many fun things.

Last Edited:
Andy,

I am glad you like the thread. Did you also serve in Vietnam or state side?

Fear of felonies keep us law abiding folks from doing many fun things.

I would have been the "Drummer Boy..." :D
I did fight in :
Panama...
Desert Shield / Storm...
Bosnia...
Mogadishu...
Mostly in L.R.R.P / LRSD units....

We still had loads of Vietnam era gear , equipment and rifles...CAR-15's and M21's come to mind...plus some kick azz NCO's that were there and what they taught me , I know saved my life and those of my team members as well....
Andy

20180703_110101.jpg 20180703_164507.jpg 20180703_164403.jpg
Also from an 80%er with a few legit peices on a Retro Rifles upper assembly. I was aiming for a '66-'67 era M16A1. Close enough to fool the general public, I guess.

KKG,

I love the M14. I have an M1a but that isn't the same. I just got the chance to shoot an M14 on full auto and it was a blast.

I am cleaning up these rifles for an honor guard detail. They are a mixture of H&R and TRW's for makers, no Springfield or Winchesters.

0731180724.jpg

I will have to say that I have seen pretty much all of the different makes and while some were a bit better than others, they were not like the off brand:( M-16s, which were really bad.

Nap time. Later.

I always loved My 607s and CAR 16 commandos, light, fast, and handy! We switched out to the M-4 and it all went to hell from there!
My latest, a 607 clone SBR with all the retro coolness that made these so frickin handy, especially when run with a single point!
main-qimg-b03a62f933d9b3d045e078d5a668c925-c.jpg

Andy and Stomper,

Thank you for going in harms way so the sheep can keep being sheep. I really appreciate guys like you and what your service provides to the rest of us!

Ura-ki,

I am in love with your 607 clone. Those things are probably the best looking Colt shorty ever. It is like they got it right and then threw it away.

@M37 Thanks! We were first issued Left over Vietnam era weapons, and we loved them, ( not so much all the other stuff left over from that conflict we got) and we had a hell of a time with a new mission profile using old equipment! The one saving grace were those Car 16s, 607s and XM-177A2s we had. Out mission required the smallest and lightest carbines, so any thing bigger then a 16 inch barrel would get left behind! As things always happen, the brass was always trying to make "improvements" and we got some of the first M-4s issued to any U.S. forces, and we got the head aches that went with them. Lucky we had our old -16s in storage until things changed! In all my 20 years, the only Carbine I ever loved ( Despite the caliber) were those 607s! Out side that, when ground missions were likely, we switched to the larger A2 hbar and some of us had the M-203, loved mine, but heavy! We always deployed ground ops with ether M-40s or later M-21s as back ups should they be needed! :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top