JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have been carrying my XDS 45 in the original holster that came in the box for 2 days and now i regret it.:( I looked at it when I put it away in my safe and the side by the breach has about a half in wear mark down to the metal color. It was black but now just left of my front sight for about a half in area is now bare . not sure I like this holster. last time i wear it. I realized my blue jeans have those little buttons on the pockets and I carried in the 3 or 4 oclock position and now have rubbed off the finish . I am sad. what can be done about this. is it easy to re blue or is it a special pain that is on the pistol/. any input would help. maybe I shoudl sand it all to silver and have a 2 tone gun.lol just kidding.
hope to save someone from the same mistake i just made.

Be cautious about sanding down the slide. The treatment on XDs and other Springfield slides is a corrosion inhibitor on a carbon steel slide. It's not the same as the stainless slides on the bi-tone models, so if you remove the black, you're essentially sanding off the rust inhibitor. If you're going to carry it, but you want it to look and stay cosmetically perfect, good luck. Holsters will eventually put some wear on the finish regardless of the holster material. If that's the case, you'd do a lot better with a composite leather/Kydex holster like a Crossbreed or similar, a quality leather holster, or perhaps a clipless holster like a Remora or Sticky Holster. I carry my XDs in a SHTF ACE-1 composite holster that is exceptionally well made and also will carry it in an IWB clipless Sticky Holster I have. They're both great options with a small pistol like the XDs and reasonably priced. As to refinishing it, I agree that Cerakote would be the way to go as long as you use someone who knows what they're doing. I've also used the Birchwood Casey bluing pens to cover over and protect small scratches, but you won't get an exact match to the finish that way, especially on a large wear area on a small pistol like the XDs.

It's not the holster, it's your pistol.

I've had my Glocks since 2003 and my XD since 2007. Guess which gun shows more wear? Not impressed with the XD or S&W M&P line of pistols...just Glock wanna-bes in my opinion.

I've had all three (XD/XDMs, Glocks, and M&Ps) in a variety of calibers. I came to Glocks last and got rid of them first. They're good tools, but there's more to it than that. The ergonomics, especially of the XDMs and M&Ps are much better than the brick of a grip with a barrel attached that Glocks continue to cling to, even with the SF versions and the Gen4s. If Springfield and S&W were so poorly designed, it seems Glock would have gone to replaceable backstraps first, not last. I've seen zero difference in terms of reliability between the three, the Springfields and S&Ws point more naturally, the trigger, especially on the XDMs) but also on the newer M&Ps, is better out of the box, and customer service is something I've never even had to use on any of them except S&W and that was on a revolver, not a semi-automatic, and it was excellent. Glock isn't using Tennifer any longer, as I understand bit, so I can't speak to the finish except that my XDMs and M&Ps have held up fine even with carry. I just don't see that Glocks have that much advantage, if any, over the other two brands.

If your finish wore that fast I would send Springfield an email and explain to them your concern/problem. They will be able to let you know if they have had a problem with their holsters wearing the finish. There is a good chance they will send ya an email with a shipping label and refinish the pistol. I have had a few pistols from the XD line (one of them being an XDs) when I sold them they didn't have any holster wear, I was very impressed with they finish.

hey thanks everyone for the help, I have gotten rid of all of my single double action pistols. including revolvers and sigs and 1911,s. I have had more issues with them in tournaments and just shooting at the range than its worth to rely on them when my life depends on it. I have switched to using glock 22 and xd, and xds both 9 and 45 and the m & p 45 i got last year works great. no issues and use them in IDPA. so far nothing has gone wrong. I love the striker fire and reset on all of my pistols. but just disappointing on the finish wear . it is a flaw with having the barrel stick out an inch farther than the holster and it rubbing off on a metal button on my jeans. i will ask Springfield and see what they say but after having my back up gun gone for 3 months on the recall i am not sure i want to let it go when its my main carry in the summer and i use a smaller back up one.

I had a double stack 1911 that went back to Springfield, it had a few feeding issues and the finish was flaking off (brand new pistol). I shot my 3-500 round "break in". I called them, before I was off the phone I had a shipping label in my email. They had my pistol back to me in 7 days. They put all new springs in, sent me two recoil springs (for the two different loads I shoot), they even sent me springs and followers for ALL of the mags that I had at the time. They did a trigger job (which is amazing) and they refinished the whole gun. It's worth a call to them and, if they will re finish it ask them the wait time.

thanks, good to know. they do have great customer service. I am happy with them. not my fault they had so many guns come int at the same time. It is worth a shot... thanks

I've had all three (XD/XDMs, Glocks, and M&Ps) in a variety of calibers. I came to Glocks last and got rid of them first. They're good tools, but there's more to it than that. The ergonomics, especially of the XDMs and M&Ps are much better than the brick of a grip with a barrel attached that Glocks continue to cling to, even with the SF versions and the Gen4s. If Springfield and S&W were so poorly designed, it seems Glock would have gone to replaceable backstraps first, not last. I've seen zero difference in terms of reliability between the three, the Springfields and S&Ws point more naturally, the trigger, especially on the XDMs) but also on the newer M&Ps, is better out of the box, and customer service is something I've never even had to use on any of them except S&W and that was on a revolver, not a semi-automatic, and it was excellent. Glock isn't using Tennifer any longer, as I understand bit, so I can't speak to the finish except that my XDMs and M&Ps have held up fine even with carry. I just don't see that Glocks have that much advantage, if any, over the other two brands.

That is correct, Glock now uses a "Nitration" process and only uses the Tenifer treatment on their sub-compact line of pistols.

Also, I never said the Glocks were perfect, but they are damn hard to beat. I will honestly say I don't like the trigger pull or the sights...but everything else is spot on.

I've been carrying my m&p for over a year now in a leather cheap iwb holster and it still looks brand new. Been carrying my xds for the last few weeks and no wear on it either. The melonite finish both companies sure seems very durable to me

The red are links...if you clicked on "Nitration" (the first red word) you'll get the Glock Homepage of http://us.glock.com/products/technology

This is a quote from their actual homepage (since you were too lazy to look it up yourself or click the red)

All GLOCK metal parts are treated with a Nitration finishing process that optimizes the molecular structure of those surfaces. This progressive technology delivers a high degree of surface hardness, maximum durability, and exceptional corrosion resistance, that provides many years of trouble-free service under the harshest environmental conditions.

My understanding is that it is a gas nitration hardening process- also known as "Nitriding"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
Nitriding is a <broken link removed> process that <broken link removed> <broken link removed> into the surface of a <broken link removed> to create a <broken link removed> surface. It is predominantly used on <broken link removed> , but also <broken link removed> , <broken link removed> and <broken link removed> .
In gas nitriding the donor is a nitrogen rich gas, usually
<broken link removed> (NH3), which is why it is sometimes known as ammonia nitriding. When ammonia comes into contact with the heated work piece it disassociates into nitrogen and hydrogen. The nitrogen then diffuses onto the surface of the material creating a nitride layer. This process has existed for nearly a century, though only in the last few decades has there been a concentrated effort to investigate the thermodynamics and kinetics involved. Recent developments have led to a process that can be accurately controlled. The thickness and phase constitution of the resulting nitriding layers can be selected and the process optimized for the particular properties required.

I carry my xds in the factory holster and don't have this issue, My issue is what ever the material my jeans rivets are made of do transfers to my xds. All I do is use my hoppes #9 to remove it, MY jeans rivets do not harm the finish at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top