JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I after clearing my XDs for a quick clean/wipe down I noticed that the top cartridge in the (5 round) magazine was dented. I do carry 5+1 so I'm wondering if the magazine spring is putting too much pressure on the rounds (I've only started carrying the XDs a couple weeks ago so everything is still new with minimal rounds through it) or could it be the ammo I'm using (Hornady Critical Defense 185gr). Anyone else had this problem with the XDs or ammo? Ammo.jpg

Ammo.jpg

Ammo.jpg

I have the same issue, but I didn't usually notice it until I looked at the round on top of my magazine.
I just loaded one of my magazines and to test it, what I did was...
Lock slide back, insert magazine, release magazine with the button, drop my magazine, inspect the round. That round only had one tiny little mark right at the lip of the case. So...I locked inserted the magazine, and racked the slide back and brought it forward a little slower than what it would do by itself under spring power. Lo and behold...that dent you have a picture of.

The slower you rack the thing, the worse that dent on the top round in the magazine becomes. Based on your picture, it still should be perfectly fine to fire. Just weird the gun does that.

I think it's a combination of how stiff the mag springs are, and how steep the feed ramp is. If it goes to slow, that round tends to try and go verticle. Denting the case below it.

I don't know if that's something you can fix (or an "issue" really), but as long as it gets racked hard and with some vigor...The most it leaves is a small scratch at the lip of the casing.

I have the same issue, but I didn't usually notice it until I looked at the round on top of my magazine.
I just loaded one of my magazines and to test it, what I did was...
Lock slide back, insert magazine, release magazine with the button, drop my magazine, inspect the round. That round only had one tiny little mark right at the lip of the case. So...I locked inserted the magazine, and racked the slide back and brought it forward a little slower than what it would do by itself under spring power. Lo and behold...that dent you have a picture of.

The slower you rack the thing, the worse that dent on the top round in the magazine becomes. Based on your picture, it still should be perfectly fine to fire. Just weird the gun does that.

I think it's a combination of how stiff the mag springs are, and how steep the feed ramp is. If it goes to slow, that round tends to try and go verticle. Denting the case below it.

I don't know if that's something you can fix (or an "issue" really), but as long as it gets racked hard and with some vigor...The most it leaves is a small scratch at the lip of the casing.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you notice any difference if you kept 4 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber instead of the full 5+1? I'm not really one to baby my tools, but I think when I chambered that last series I had the slide locked back and just released the lock with my thumb. I'll try just racking it next time.

With 4 in the mag, They were pretty similar to your picture. I had one pretty huge dent from a round that didn't feed all the way. The end of the casing dented the bubblegum out of the next round. I did notice that as you got farther into the magazine, it would dent less on less. Definitely the faster that slide moves the better. I don't really like that it makes that dent, but it's just a combination of things which happen to allow the pistol to be so compact I think.

I wish the last time I shot this thing, I would have looked at the spent casings to see if they were dented. Didn't think about it then.

I don't know about you, but I was very happy when I shot it the first time with how soft this thing shoots.

Overall I'm very happy with the gun. I'd just never seen that before and was concerned. I'll make a mental note to check the casings and see if every round is coming out with a little dent.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top