JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally picked up my XDs 9mm this lunchtime so with it being such a topic for hot debate lately I thought I would post up a quick review and some pictures for those that may not have had the opportunity to handle one...

As we all know its is basically the same platform as the XDs 45, so if you want to play around with one, find a 45 and its the same!.. bar a slight weight increase for the 9mm (and the caliber of course!).

Here is a pic of the box, excellent presentation, good quality box and the usual Springfield XD type goodies:

A closer look with the extra fibre optic sight inserts:

Here is a close up of the actual firearm: (These 2 pictures have the 'larger' of the 2 included backstraps)

The gun feels very nice in the hand, its a little heavier than i was expecting but it does feel balanced even when not loaded. There is a slight weight towards the front (barrel obvious culprit) when unloaded, but this is countered when carrying a loaded magazine.

One of the things that i was very pleased (and surprised about) was the extent of the polished internals, especially the feed ramp. It is very smooth to the touch and obviously shiny:

I have 'girls hands' according to my wife, so i was playing around with the grip to see if an extended pearce grip would be needed as well as assessing the comfort level of the 2 included backstraps. It comes shipped with the larger backstrap but with an additional 'smaller' one. Here is a pic of the larger backstrap as shipped:

Here is the swapped out smaller backstrap:

Here is a pic of the 2 backstraps placed together, i have the small one fitted to the XDs and the larger one it comes shipped with next to it for comparison. The size difference is not huge, its more a difference in profile. You can clearly see that the larger strap has a more consistent full radius and curves all the way from the handle towards the magazine well. The smaller one starts off similar but reduces rather sharply down towards the mag well reducing the overall circumference of the grip. With my 'girl hands' my preference is with the smaller backstrap, although the larger one is still relatively comfortable and definitely usable.

My pinky fits relatively comfortably on the grip, although from a psychological perspective I may just get the pearce grip in addition to my ordered extended mag. (FYI - This is with the larger backstrap)

A lot has been made of the fibre optic front sight and how people wish it had night sights. I don't mind them at all. It comes fitted with a red fibre optic insert and a 2 white dot rear sight. Here is a sight pic:

In daylight conditions the red insert is very bright and visible. I personally prefer how the yellow / green insert looks and to me, my eye pics it up quicker and easier. Here is a picture of the 2 different inserts to compare:

Overall my impressions are excellent, as always the XD line (and springfield) impresses with their presentation and included 'freebies'. The feel of the gun is fabulous, thin, compact and manipulates well. The feed ramp is excellently polished and the overall fit and finish feels top class. A very solid concealed carry and much more convenient than my current EDC, a CZ P07 Duty..... although again, i know the statistics on amounts of rounds used in conflicts etc... but i find myself battling the physical comfort of concealability aspect Vs the psychological comfort of capacity!!! I guess i can use both depending on the situation and weather?! ;o)

I will be picking up my IWB Leather Holster from Winthrop Holsters this afternoon so I will update this with some more pics of the holster and give my thoughts.

Go find an XDs 9mm!!!

EAF34653-373D-4710-993B-405689EFE14B-2815-000002F682889C1B_zps0e7095e1.jpg 60117E4C-9236-464B-AB36-418D1AB0F070-2815-000002F68B52194F_zps9385295a.jpg 65C86A3E-B20E-40C3-B74A-C6FEBD752F8A-2815-000002F694419CF9_zps18b18ecd.jpg View attachment 139634 9387627C-22F6-4180-B403-CE0878D3138A-2815-000002F6A42D0175_zps8f48202f.jpg View attachment 139636 View attachment 139637 View attachment 139638 CC51115F-1E39-481A-9BF5-CE6EAE57829E-2815-000002F6EA872193_zpsa3e0c740.jpg View attachment 139640 View attachment 139641 EE9B74F2-A7FB-437E-B189-5753D3354470-2815-000002F6CD034D6D_zps32e7df19.jpg

Thank you for the kinds words.... No sadly i haven't been able to shoot it as my daughters 'moving on' ceremony got in the way! lol Hopefully this weekend though as i picked up some ammo to burn!

The trigger does seem different to what i am used to, but as i stated above my EDC is the CZ P07 Duty that has a ridiculously good trigger out the box (Omega trigger iirc?). However, i will reserve judgement until i have shot it.

Ok Holster update as promised:

I ordered an IWB Holster from Winthrop Holsters as I have had good experiences with them before... AND they have them in stock ready to ship. I did see some really nice holsters and wanted one for sure! However, virtually everyone has an 8-10 week wait list and i need something asap to get wearing it.... i'm a little impatient! lol

Here is a picture of the holster as it came:

I have only had black holsters in the past but have always loved the look of mahogany against the contrasting black firearm. But i always played it safe... As Wesley Snipes said in 'Passenger 57' .... 'Always bet on Black' ;o)

However I decided to compromise this time. I ordered the IWB Mahogany holster with 1.5inch straps in matching leather, but also ordered an additional set of 1.75inch straps in black for when i wear my Cobra belt. The contrasting straps allow me to wear dark / black attire without having brown straps giving the game away, but the brown ones go great with my beige day style belts / clothing.

Gun in Holster with the matching 1.5inch straps:

Gun in Holster with contrasting Black 1.75inch straps:

The fit is very snug within the holster, too snug in fact! So i will be leaving it in a plastic bag in the holster overnight as advised from the owner. It is easy to slip on and off and the snaps make it nice and convenient.
I wear my holsters at around 3.30 and this rides at a good height, not too low that its difficult to get good purchase on the firearm, but not too high that the weight of the loaded magazine / grip starts to flop about or prize away from the body. It rides a the perfect height in my opinion and has an excellent level of cant to aid in the drawing of the weapon.

The leather is nicely finished with good stitching and it is very comfortable to wear. Once the leather 'gives' a a little it will be super comfortable. I am wearing it now as i type and the difference between this and my P07 Duty is huge! This hardly feels like anything and it rides nicely against the body. All in all i am very impressed at the quality of the holster, the fit and finish and of course the functionality.

I do not have any affiliation with Winthrop Holsters, however, my past 2 holsters from them have been excellent value for money and i will definitely be using them again. Having things like this in stock to get within a matter of days is definitely a huge advantage when the norm is 8-10 weeks! And don't be put off by their relatively 'cheap' price in comparison to other custom makers, the quality of their products is excellent. I also found their customer service to be excellent too, i made the decision to change the sizing of the straps after my order and having spoken to their customer service department it was changed within a 60 second phone call.

I would gladly let anyone see it (or the gun) in person if you are local...

Also, if you know anyone interested in my Remington 887 Nitromag Tactical in the Classifieds, i'd appreciate the heads up! I 'need' an AK47! lol

e843ce91-b731-4e69-8f65-28c9c635cfcc_zpsbb774054.jpg ae23c329-4b56-4ced-a7be-3f5924196660_zpsbdb87ddd.jpg a9d283d1-ebd9-4e7f-834e-8833aae87ad3_zpsf1643bf3.jpg

I have a XDs 45. And love both 45 and 9mm. I mostly carry a glock 26. But the 45 size frame of the XDs makes no sense to use 9mm in. I know it's small enough for most. But the XDs 9mm could have it's own smaller frame.
Still better to get the 45 first. If the gun was made to fit 9mm first then we would probably never gotten a slightly larger 45.
I wish they would offer a 9mm upper. If they don't I will stick with the G-26. It's hard to beat. The one I have now is my 4th baby glock. I try other newer guns. But I keep coming back! Only reason The XDs 45 gets any carry action is because it's 45 ACP! We have some great options these days.
I really wish they make the mentioned 9mm upper as an option.
Thanks for the info and pictures. You did a Good job!

Thanks Medic ;o)

I guess it's different strokes for different folks, I just can't live with a glocks ergonomics my hand is just a little too small, even with the gen 4's removable back straps. Although I have a yearning for a 19 in FDE!!!

I've had a few carry experiences... S&W bodyguard, Kahr CW9, etc... But I tend to choose what fits and feels good whatever that may be.

I will note however, after wearing the XDs in its holster all day working on the yard, the aggressive grip texture really does rub!! I've ordered some rubber talon grips that should do the job nicely!

Nice pic review, and I agree with your assessments! I stopped by local gun store last week and they had JUST gotten one in the morning out of the blue. I had a chance to handle it, but not shoot it... funny enough, right before I had come in, a guy had called on the phone and already put down money to reserve it. The store said they had no idea when they would be getting more.

Thanks for the excellent review.

I picked up an XDs 45 last week, took it to the range and it's now my EDC. I'm very impressed with the quality.

Thanks GOG....

As a mini update, I have been wearing it around the house as much as possible to break in the holster and get used to the size and shape... This thing is so light compared to my usual EDC i just forget its there.

I ordered a set of Talon grips as the aggressive grip checkering does chafe the skin a little, i got my preferred rubberised option so will see how they go. I also ordered a pearce extended finger grip so they both should be here this week. I will update the post with news and more pics once they come in.

At this point I am extremely happy with the functionality of wearing it, i will be going to the range this weekend hopefully to put it through its paces!

I carried a Commander size 1911 for years, so this is a huge change for me. While I love the 1911 platform, it was becoming uncomfortable to carry. (even with an alloy frame) The XDs is so much lighter and smaller as to feel almost non-existent.

Nice detailed review. The new 9mm should be a great competitor to the Shield. I've shoot the .45 XDs and it shoots nice, my only complaint is it gave me slide bite. I suppose it's because of the really thin profile. I hope my range gets the 9mm XDs to try. On the Shield I didn't like the manual safety. Which is funny because I have no problem with them on my 1911. Been looking for a subcompact ccw myself and the XDs 9 may be the ticket.

Here are the Talon grips installed.... requires a little trimming at the back (they are front applied) as i have the smaller backstrap on:

You can see where it was trimmed....

The feel is great, definitely a huge improvement over stock and you can feel the difference when carrying instantly! Makes you wonder why they didn't come from the factory this way! lol

I was also expecting my Pearce grips the same day but apparently they were returned undeliverable! So i'm more than a little disappointed!

View attachment 139281 D8594004-8AE9-4866-BFF1-05CFC7B7F72B-391-000000338C69DF9F_zps755de29d.jpg View attachment 139283

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top