JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which would you choose between the new XDM compact or a standard XD compact.

Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun

I think i am leaning towards getting the new XDM compact as my daily carry. Thought i would see what everyone else thinks. new latest and greatest thing or just marketing hype?

I chose a XDSC because the price was right, they didn't have the smaller grip XD(m) yet, the XDSC does everything I need for it to do, It doesn't have all sharp edges the XD(m) does. If I was looking for non C.C. gun I'd probably go for an XD(m) full size over a full sized XD for the better trigger, longer sight radius, and increased mag capacity.

That is one sweet looking pistol. I don't think you could wrong with either but I really like the XD subcompact model over either the XD or XDM compact. It's to bad these are made overseas as the XD subcompact fits my hand great.

i think the 19 round capacity is nice. with a 13 round mag to conceal. It is only .8" longer then the XDSC, I see it as a more all in one gun. will it be as good as the SC for concealing, probably not. But it will be a lot easier then the XDM. and with the full size mag you have the same 3.8 as standard. With the option of concealing if you want.

I own an XDM and have shot my buddy's XDSC. The XDM 3.8 is a great gun but it is fairly big and not a compact IMHO.

How are you going to carry it? For IWB carry it's not the .8" of barrel length that matters - it's the size of the grip on the XDM 3.8 vs the XDSC that makes a difference. The longer grip on the XDM prints on some people (depending on body type, holster and carry method).

Here is a photo from <broken link removed> of XDM 4.5, XDM 3.8 and an XDSC that shows the difference in grip length.

One guy on XD Talk even made a custom XDM with a cut-down grip and mags. I wouldn't be surprised if Springfield release a 'true' XDMSC at some point.

3_8_family.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I own an XDM and have shot my buddy's XDSC. The XDM 3.8 is a great gun but it is fairly big and not a compact IMHO.

How are you going to carry it? For IWB carry it's not the .8" of barrel length that matters - it's the size of the grip on the XDM 3.8 vs the XDSC that makes a difference. The longer grip on the XDM prints on some people (depending on body type, holster and carry method).

Here is a photo from <broken link removed> of XDM 4.5, XDM 3.8 and an XDSC that shows the difference in grip length.

One guy on XD Talk even made a custom XDM with a cut-down grip and mags. I wouldn't be surprised if Springfield release a 'true' XDMSC at some point.
We're talking about the new XDm compact, not the full size XDm...

I just see the XDm as the big range/service pistol and the XDSC works just fine the way it is, same 13+1 in 9mm as the XDmC I believe too.. Seems like a lot of people were asking for a such a thing on the XD forum so if people want them I guess by all means make them.

We're talking about the new XDm compact, not the full size XDm...

Doh! I am obviously not spending enough time reading gun forums on the Internet. I didn't even know the XDM Compact was a real product.

So Springfield made an XDM with a smaller grip...makes sense. Now I'll have to get one!

I would go with the XDM if you can afford it. Match grade barrel. Also, the takedown procedure on the XDM doesn't require you to dry fire the weapon which I like. On the XD you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide.

I shot an XD compact in 9mm a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best shooting 9mm pistols I've ever tried! If it were my choice I'd go with the regular XDSC. Why bother paying the extra money for the XDM when the regular XDs are already so nice?

If you have the means I would go with the xdm over the xd. I've owned a full-size xd and subcompact but never the xdm. I can tell you this though; for about $100 more you get a match grade barrel, improved trigger (complaint I had about the xd), 19 rd extended mag, better ergonomics, and as was stated earlier you don't need to dry fire the weapon to field strip, and IMO a sweeter and nicer looking pistol! Personally though I don't think you can go wrong with the xd, I just like everything about the xdm even more! Either way you get a new gun to play with so you can't really lose!

If you have the means I would go with the xdm over the xd. I've owned a full-size xd and subcompact but never the xdm. I can tell you this though; for about $100 more you get a match grade barrel, improved trigger (complaint I had about the xd), 19 rd extended mag, better ergonomics, and as was stated earlier you don't need to dry fire the weapon to field strip, and IMO a sweeter and nicer looking pistol! Personally though I don't think you can go wrong with the xd, I just like everything about the xdm even more! Either way you get a new gun to play with so you can't really lose!
I'm not sure where they come up with the claim that the XDm has a better trigger, I had an XDm and my XDSC trigger is slightly better (not as mushy).

I'm not sure where they come up with the claim that the XDm has a better trigger, I had an XDm and my XDSC trigger is slightly better (not as mushy).

Really? All of the xdms that I fondled at the store had a noticeably shorter trigger and quicker reset than my xd's. Or it could also boil down to personal preference, what I like and consider "better" may not stand true for you. Either way, OP should test them both out and see what he prefers. :s0155:

The XDM has a minimal reset trigger like the Sig. The XD does not, hence the different feel.

Also, the XDM has the interchangeable grip backstraps which the XD does not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top