JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for someone who'll let me test drive their XDM 3.8" that's been converted to a .460 Rowland. Considering doing this conversion, and would like to see what the recoil is like with various rounds.

I'm probably going to order the 460 kit for my 5" Tactical XD tomorrow. It will be a few weeks before I get a load worked up for it. If you want to shoot it I have no problem meeting up. I'd suggest picking up a box of factory loads though. I'm a longtime handloader but, I will not shoot other people's reloads and figure that should go both ways.

That would be great. It's too dry right now, but if we get some rain by the time you're set up, you can come out to the farm to do some shooting. Thanks for the offer.

I am thinking of doing this for my new P227, which I think would be a good pistol to do it to, but I have not really found an example online - I think I recall seeing one.

I would mostly shoot .45 ACP in it as it is a tactical pistol and I think hot .45 ACP loads are sufficient, but I would not mind also having the ability to shoot loads that are near .44 magnum power levels if I go into bear country - having 13+1 of .460 loads would be nice.

Last Edited:
With a semi-auto, besides the capacity increase, you get the ability to easily and quickly swap out ammo types - swap ammo for two legged animals to ammo for four legged ones. Not much call for that here in Orygun, but still more power would be better for black bear (which I have cross my property).

I am thinking of doing this for my new P227, which I think would be a good pistol to do it to, but I have not really found an example online - I think I recall seeing one.

I would mostly shoot .45 ACP in it as it is a tactical pistol and I think hot .45 ACP loads are sufficient, but I would not mind also having the ability to shoot loads that are near .44 magnum power levels if I go into bear country - having 13+1 of .460 loads would be nice.
And speaking of "near .44 magnum power levels", BB shows their .460 offerings making around 950fpe and the .44 around 1450fpe.. so there's that

And speaking of "near .44 magnum power levels", BB shows their .460 offerings making around 950fpe and the .44 around 1450fpe.. so there's that

You can go heavier and hotter (+P+) in .44 magnum, but you won't be able to shoot those in every .44 mag handgun and expect the gun to last long, if it lasts at all.

Standard 240 gr. .44 mag loads are around 1200-1300 FPS and 750-900 FPE, so yeah, 460 Rowland gets up to .44 magnum power levels.

Hot (+P) .45 ACP loads are about half that - 500 FPE - so yeah. the .460 has quite a bit more power. It is significantly more powerful than 10mm too, so having 10+ rounds of .460 in a semi-auto is something to think about if you are concerned about bears, or even if you want to hunt. I would like see what it does against a good sized feral pig compared to a .44 mag - someday I may get the chance to try.

Nor can one expect a lightweight/small .45acp to stand up to +P, let alone Rowland pressures.

We'll see.

Personally I would not do the conversion on such a pistol, even if it held up (which it might if you did not shoot the hot ammo a lot) it would be a heavy recoiling handgun in a small package, which I have had experience with. My 329PD is plenty in that regard - not small, but at 25 ounces, it is very light - but it is made for .44 magnum, just not pleasant to shoot.

My P227 TACOPS weighs ten ounces more than my 329PD and then add in loaded weight (14+1 rounds) and you get something more akin to a full sized medium weight handgun. I have not shot it yet - waiting on ordered inexpensive FMJ ammo to break it in. If I were so inclined, this would be the gun I would convert.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top