JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If they make that one, might as well do the big Supermags, too!

The .357 Supermag is dimensionally identical to the .357 Remington Maximum. (Thank you, Elgin Gates). The cartridge is best served by "hot-shoeing" the 158-grain JHP or a nice 140-grain Lehigh "Extreme Penetrator" blowing out of a 12-inch barrel at about 1900 fps yielding about 1122.5 foot-pounds of energy.

If that doesn't make Mr. Piggy or Mr. Whitetail roll over, I don't know what will.

That's a "spicy meatball"!

I meant the .414 and .445.

And the 357 came into it's own with 180 gr (or 200gr) bullets. The light weight (159gr) was just a lot of blast and didn't carry energy well enough to hammer plates. The 158gr loading was also the one causing the small amount of top strap cutting on the Ruger SRM.

I had one. Eventhough the amount of cutting wasn't much, I agree it was a point of concern. Too bad, that was a fun gun to shoot.

Might be cool as hell, they could probably make it an 8 shooter ! i have watched guys shoot the 500, not at all my idea of fun , but a 8 or 10 inch .357 max might be a hoot. I had a contender in the max about a million years ago. its a great round...tj3006
A .357 maximum 8-round x-frame Smith would be a must-buy for me. Great idea!

I would also really love an X-frame 6-shot .44 Maxima. That would appeal to me a lot more than the .460 or .500.

The top strap would prove thick enough to withstand the flame-cutting generated by the high-test cartridge.

the folks I knew enamored with the Roooger version so long ago, never could resolve the top strap erosion issue. At the time they were all willing to weld another armor plate on somewhere but was advised the factory was unable to resolve the problem.

Perhaps by now there's some metallurgical answer. Seems like the +P+ crowd would love it.

the folks I knew enamored with the Roooger version so long ago, never could resolve the top strap erosion issue. At the time they were all willing to weld another armor plate on somewhere but was advised the factory was unable to resolve the problem.

Perhaps by now there's some metallurgical answer. Seems like the +P+ crowd would love it.
Right. Back when the ruger blackhawk .357 Maxima had the topstrap erosion problems was before the ruger superredhawk in .454 Cassull or the .460 Smith.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top