JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$360
City
Woodburn
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Great piece of history.

WWII Royal British Navy Bronze Bell with original bracelet and clapper.

Has great patina and is very loud. It resonates for a while.

Bracket swivels and tilts. Has original brass bolt.

The iron clapper is corroded as expected from an old naval Bell.

Has King George VI Royal mark GR with crown.

No trades, cash only.

64717BC6-81CF-491C-BA79-ABD63AF706FF.jpeg 57BCE99C-8FE3-4273-BB02-08699E980A16.jpeg 37C78C2D-6D84-4694-A97F-58A0F2E9E623.jpeg DEC5EA1A-4FE3-4D72-9314-23247DDC9DD7.jpeg 08E3FCDA-2143-4FEC-9F7D-A3198E87943D.jpeg 1B925BBB-31B7-41D2-8467-2EE9465BAF4F.jpeg 05C99408-5392-446D-B4D2-786034BFB799.jpeg 2E2248C4-B30B-414B-A43B-6B43061BBA9E.jpeg 289D9781-4CE1-43A8-8AC1-EB666ACB8859.jpeg 5FEBC2FB-12BC-4159-AD05-C3951BF732A7.jpeg 07083E15-DA89-443F-BE72-C36A3E452A03.jpeg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
If I fell headlong into that you could say, "I don't know who that guy is but his face sure rings a bell".
That is really cool. Have you tried posting it on some of the marine/boating forums? GLWS.

Don't know if any boating forums.
The internet is your friend (sometimes). Just do a search, there's plenty of places you could list that bell. I would list it in classifieds that cater to sail boats, cabin cruisers and yachts. if I had a large boat, I would love to have a bell like that on it. People who have such large conveyances generally have money to burn. Don't be shy on your price.

I'd be curious as to what it was used for. I've had several, and still have two that came off ships, and each had the name of the vessel either cast or engraved in it. Most had the year and/or actual date of the vessel's christening as well.

Most times when a shipwreck is found, the bell is the defining identification of it.

The internet is your friend (sometimes). Just do a search, there's plenty of places you could list that bell. I would list it in classifieds that cater to sail boats, cabin cruisers and yachts. if I had a large boat, I would love to have a bell like that on it. People who have such large conveyances generally have money to burn. Don't be shy on your price.

Thank you!

I'd be curious as to what it was used for. I've had several, and still have two that came off ships, and each had the name of the vessel either cast or engraved in it. Most had the year and/or actual date of the vessel's christening as well.

Most times when a shipwreck is found, the bell is the defining identification of it.

You would need to ask a Navy person. I know they use them for a lot of different purposes.

Military ships typically have a couple of different sizes of bell depending on era. The small bells such as the one you have were usually on the bridge or quarterdeck and were used for ceremonial occasions such as flag rank officers arriving/departing the ship (would result in the appropriate number of bell strikes based on rank). The bell on the bridge was also used for ceremonial purposes such as noon reports (bell would toll then the messenger of the watch would announce "Lay before the mast all 12 O'clock reports..." something to that effect). None of this is based on anything other than my recollection from my time in the navy as a Quartermaster and having to use a bell for these types of tasks. Other more accurate information is probably out there and I know there are many more uses than what I have talked about but I hope this helps you. I do know the 2 most collectable maritime items are ships chronometers and bells. Wish you were interested in trades. GLWS

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top