JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Waaaay off topic...

My father was in the Philippines during WWII and brought back most of a Japanese Officer's sword. The tang (or whatever it's properly called) looks like it was shortened and another hole was punched/drilled through it. From my limited "research" I found that this was sometimes done when an officer had a family sword they wanted to have re-fitted into military configuration. In addition, it appears that the original blade length, forward of the tsuba, is just over 23" inches which I believe is shorter than the military standard. It also has lines on the blade that indicate which "school" polished it.

First: Dang Dad, you couldn't be bothered to bring back the whole thing?

Second: Does anyone know of a somewhat local (PNW) dealer or appraiser who could identify the blade? I emailed pics to an outfit in Bellevue but never heard anything back from them...

20180504_170134.jpg
20180504_170032.jpg
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ☺

Just in case anyone was curious...
Based on 40 high resolution photos I sent to a dealer, he concluded the blade is of better than average quality and from the mid to late Muromachi Period (1336 - 1573). I'm working on getting it to him for a hands on appraisal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top