JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone here restored any stamped ammo cans?

I have been in the process of restoring some WWII era cans. I got them from the CMP last year with some belted ammo I ordered. I sandblasted them and then painted them with color correct olive of the period. Problem is... I can't find any seals for them to keep out the moisture. What did you use for seals, if any?

Thanks,
Bob

As from the CMP.

box-need-work.jpg

Blasted
box-blasted.jpg

Primed
box-prime.jpg

Painted
ammocandone.jpg

you can probably run a bead of seam seal around the lid to make contact with the rim of the ammo can when it closes. it also depends on the gap between the lid and box. if there is a big gap, use something thick like a cut up rubber automotive hose. old car door seal? or better yet, find a soft all weather rubber mat and line the entire lid with double sided sticky tape. buy a few things and try em all out so long as it gives a little when closed to give a "pressure" seal and isnt too thick and keeps it from closing. a photo of it open would help.

My collection of Vintage cans starts with 1920's versions and my WW2 era ones are all kept in original condition (With original Paint) ,usuially most varieties of ammo cans are plentifull enough to purchase/find/come across nice enogh ones to leave alone as they are found.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top