Sporting Systems
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Landhawk Arms
Southwest Firearms Forum
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

WWII ammo can restoration

Reactions
Has anyone here restored any stamped ammo cans?

I have been in the process of restoring some WWII era cans. I got them from the CMP last year with some belted ammo I ordered. I sandblasted them and then painted them with color correct olive of the period. Problem is... I can't find any seals for them to keep out the moisture. What did you use for seals, if any?

Thanks,
Bob

As from the CMP.

box-need-work.jpg

Blasted
box-blasted.jpg

Primed
box-prime.jpg

Painted
ammocandone.jpg

Reactions
you can probably run a bead of seam seal around the lid to make contact with the rim of the ammo can when it closes. it also depends on the gap between the lid and box. if there is a big gap, use something thick like a cut up rubber automotive hose. old car door seal? or better yet, find a soft all weather rubber mat and line the entire lid with double sided sticky tape. buy a few things and try em all out so long as it gives a little when closed to give a "pressure" seal and isnt too thick and keeps it from closing. a photo of it open would help.

Reactions
My collection of Vintage cans starts with 1920's versions and my WW2 era ones are all kept in original condition (With original Paint) ,usuially most varieties of ammo cans are plentifull enough to purchase/find/come across nice enogh ones to leave alone as they are found.

UPCOMING EVENTS

ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
Wes Knodel Gun Show
Deschutes County Fair & Expo Center
3800 SE Airport Way, Redmond, OR 97756, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    My wife went into to pickup a firearm she bought from a online retailer and shipped to sunset firearms. She had a great experience and had a...
    • NWArborist
  • Independence Indoor Shooting
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought one firearm and many other random items at IIS. The gun was priced really well, and was the best price I could find the area. My...
    • TDH
  • Stockpile Defense, LLC
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought a few lowers here, and many other AR parts. They have a really nice selection of guns and parts, not just AR. They are willing to...
    • TDH
  • Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS