JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to buy a ww1 era 1911 off of gunbroker for around the $1500-$2000 mark. Would it be a better decision to wait and see what happens with the 1911s coming through the CMP? Or do you guys think they will probably be just as expensive. Thanks, Matthew

I would guess the most of the CMP pistols are going to be WWII 1911A1's and not 1911's...
Again just a guess...

WWI 1911's are much more difficult to come by...you just don't see 'em for sale often...
If I had the cash and wanted a WWI era 1911 , as soon as I saw one for sale that fit my budget and as close to the condition I was seeking...I'd buy it now , rather than wait.
Andy

For a non-rearsenaled WWI 1911, you will have to find one that mustered out with a soldier at the end of the Great War, or find one that miraculously survived well enough not to need repair over 110 years.
So any that will get to the CMP inventory in that condition will likely hit their own auction site, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
If you are looking for a collector piece, then a reputable auction house like James Julia or the like would be an option. Gunbroker is a crapshoot.

If you are looking for a shooter, then you can either buy a military re-arsenaled mixmaster and slowly find original parts to put it how you want, or you can buy a Cimarron or Colt WWI reproduction.

The bottom line is that the CMP is not likely to see much that collectors would find appealing and if they do, they have smart enough volunteers that it will end up at auction.

MountainBear and Medic bring up some good points...

These pistols can be 100 years old or older...with a long service life in our military or other friendly countries...
Finding one that is all original as it left the factory will be rare and pricey...

That said a well maintained military issue 1911 , even with a mix of parts , that are period military re-fits or repairs is a score with a sense of history...
One thing to keep in mind , is when the military repairs a gun...they want to fix it with a part that works...not necessarily one that is all correct and matching...For future collectors...:D
Andy

For a non-rearsenaled WWI 1911, you will have to find one that mustered out with a soldier at the end of the Great War, or find one that miraculously survived well enough not to need repair over 110 years.
So any that will get to the CMP inventory in that condition will likely hit their own auction site, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
If you are looking for a collector piece, then a reputable auction house like James Julia or the like would be an option. Gunbroker is a crapshoot.

If you are looking for a shooter, then you can either buy a military re-arsenaled mixmaster and slowly find original parts to put it how you want, or you can buy a Cimarron or Colt WWI reproduction.

The bottom line is that the CMP is not likely to see much that collectors would find appealing and if they do, they have smart enough volunteers that it will end up at auction.

From what I've read over the last couple of years on the subject the above ^^ is spot on. Seems a person might be better of trying to get a serviceable rifle from the era if they want an historic piece? That's what I will do at some point.
Something like this perhaps. M1903 Springfield - Wikipedia

From what I've read over the last couple of years on the subject the above ^^ is spot on. Seems a person might be better of trying to get a serviceable rifle from the era if they want an historic piece? That's what I will do at some point.
Something like this perhaps. M1903 Springfield - Wikipedia
I think it depends on 2 things, how deep are your pockets and how determined are you to find the exact gun you want. I have made a large portion of my income buying at auctions. Every time I buy anything, I am the one in the room that pays the most and dedicates The resources to get the job done. The second bidder never will get a chance to own (or resell) the item. To be a consistently successful auction buyer, you have to be an expert and an optimist at the same time. Not everyone has the type of risk tolerance to get it done. Those guys need to bite the bullet and pay top retail from someone that does. The finest and most expensive WW1 1911's are usually commercial versions that many times were bought for a soldier headed to the front. Guns that were purchased for a cherished family member going into harms way by a family (like Bowie knives and guns during the Civil War) that wanted the soldier to come home. That kind of history has to impart emotions to an object that are undeniable and palpable.

Last Edited:
MountainBear and Medic bring up some good points...

These pistols can be 100 years old or older...with a long service life in our military or other friendly countries...
Finding one that is all original as it left the factory will be rare and pricey...

That said a well maintained military issue 1911 , even with a mix of parts , that are period military re-fits or repairs is a score with a sense of history...
One thing to keep in mind , is when the military repairs a gun...they want to fix it with a part that works...not necessarily one that is all correct and matching...For future collectors...:D
Andy

Nothing wrong with a 100% correct $3200 gun.
A real $1000 GI mixmaster, Or a$350 bubba mixmaster.

Just as long as you don't pay for one. And get the other. ;)

I think it depends on 2 things, how deep are your pockets and how determined are you to find the exact gun you want. I have made a large portion of my income buying at auctions. Every time I buy anything, I am the one in the room that pays the most and dedicates The resources to get the job done. The second bidder never will get a chance to own (or resell) the item. To be a consistently successful auction buyer, you have to be an expert and an optimist at the same time. Not everyone has the type of risk tolerance to get it done. Those guys need to bite the bullet and pay top retail from someone that does. The finest and most expensive WW1 1911's are usually commercial versions that many times were bought for a soldier he headed to the front. Guns that were purchased for a cherished family member going into harms way by a family (like Bowie knives and guns during the Civil War) that wanted the soldier to come home. That kind of history has to impart emotions to an object that are undeniable and palpable.

Yes. But now your talking about buying guns. And buying stories. ;)

Well I'd happily pay $350 for a Bubba mixmaster and get a 100 % correct $3,200 gun...:p:D
But I do hear what you are saying ...like anything , it pays in the end to do your homework on what to look for...
Andy
Nothing wrong with a 100% correct $3200 gun.
A real $1000 GI mixmaster, Or a$350 bubba mixmaster.

Just as long as you don't pay for one. And get the other. ;)

I've seen these WW1 era pistols come up for sale on "Jack The Dog" auctions.
He does a great job describing the condition of the firearms and his pictures are second to none.
That being said, his auctions generate higher bid prices.

Never buy a story unless you are buying it to keep or it comes with rock solid provenance. Someone's hearsay is cool, and I've bought several guns just because of their stories. The few I've sold, the story went with the gun, but never increased its value. No provenance, just hearsay. Sometimes it's worth it on just the chance it could be true.
But in a retail setting, unless I have provenance, which usually involves serial numbers and military documentation, it doesn't do much other than sound cool. Saavy buyers won't pay for hearsay.

My own Grandma sold me a line of crap when she gave me Grandpas gun.
Told me the big hero story and how the gun was used in WWII to great success!

Turned out the gun was made post WWII. :p

Now I don't think old Grams lied to me. I think she just miss-remembered. :D

The OP might also try the CMP forum classified sections. I little more specific stuff over there and I believe there is currently an "original"-ish 1911 or two for sale over there. There are also enough opinionated (and knowledgeable) people over there that would call someone out if they were misrepresenting something...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top