JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandfather returned from WW-2 alive and unharmed (sort of) with some interesting items.
Among his stash of bring backs was 241 rounds of 7X57 mauser rifle ammo in stripper clips. Every one of these rounds ( live) are loaded with Wooden bullets of different colors and shapes. Has any one heard any thing about this? I have dug around and come up with a few theories. 1; this may have been practice ammo. It may have been made when the Germans were short of led and copper. According to my Grand Father, This stuff was only accurate for about 100 yards or so. 2; This ammo was some how made to cause wounds to solders and medics who would treat a gun shot wound. The colors must mean something! They are Red, Purple, Yellow, and Green. Maybe this denotes different bullet weight or range? Or if you go with the wounding idea, maybe these have some kind of toxin impregnated in them.
The story involving this ammo was Grand Dad and his platoon were moving to a small town during the opening of the battle of the bulge. They came under fire from what they thought was a couple of snipers. two of our boys were hit and went down. The platoon set up a base of fire and moved up in to position to try and take them out. After quite a bit of time, during which one more of our guys got hit, they managed to kill this one sniper. After some more time it was determined that there was only ONE sniper. Grand Dad and the rest of the platoon gathered around the dead German sniper and in rage picked up his rifle and smashed it against a tree. Grand Dad being the industrious sort picked up the remains of that rifle and relieved the dead sniper of all his rifle ammo and carried it with him until he was issued orders to return to France to await his rotation orders home! He mailed that rifle and ammo home to my Great Grand Father who tried to repair the stock, but other wise left it alone. I also now have that rifle, and It is quite odd and does not look like any German made mauser "sniper Rifle" I have ever seen. It was dove tail cut on both ends of the receiver and fitted with floating scope mounts. The scope is a Zeiss fixed power of 6x magnification, and 20 mm body. it has a 40 mm objective and about 4 1/2 inches of eye relief. Fairly modern by today's standards, fairly awesome by WW-2 standards.
Has any one come across a weapon like this? I can find zero info about this!

A neighbor and co-worker of my dad's was supposed to have been hit in the ankle by a Japanese bamboo bullet in the Pacific. I was like, three years old, so what I do know.
1. He had a horrendous wound scar on his ankle and a severe limp.
2. He was away a lot in the hospital, removing splinters.
3. He died young in 1953.
4. He was a nice guy, who always had time for a lonely little kid!

0f7439a015a0e5ec4372fafe3ac49db9.jpg mauser3.jpg

0f7439a015a0e5ec4372fafe3ac49db9.jpg

mauser3.jpg

I remember Grand Dad said these were real nasty rounds and caused horrific wounds. He also said that they thought this was meant to hurt any one like a medic, surgeon, or nurse who tried to treat these wounds, like punctures to the hands from the splinters and infection from the wood and maybe a poison of some kind!

I do not know how much of this rifle is original or if any thing was changed or modified. To me, the bolt does not seem correct for a issue rifle, but it could have been changed for clearance issues. may be Grand Dad changed it out later.

My father, who was stationed in the Aleutians in WWII, always claimed that he had been wounded in the legs by wooden bullets fired by the Japanese forces.

All I know is that he had pretty severe damage to his lower legs, and was in and out of the VA hospital in Vancouver quite a bit when I was young.

The only evidence I ever saw was a medical report that he brought back from Alaska, stating that he had severe damage to the facia (sp?) in both of his legs, but didn't list a cause, so who knows?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a personal non-issue rifle, either owned by the sniper or given to him by someone.

Even into the Vietnam War some snipers used their own optics and even sometimes rifles they bought during or owned before the war.

The rifle in the picture , looks like a sporter , not a issue Mauser.
That being stated ...
The Germans used all kinds of rifles during the war , if you look hard enough you can even see a pic of a officer with a M1 Carbine .
As for using wooden bullets in combat , I have my doubts.
The headache in keeping up supplies of non special items is vast let alone unusual items.
Not saying it never happened , just saying it didn't happen on a regular basis.
I think the wooden bullets were a training round.
Andy

Last Edited:
Back about 1991 when I was in Trade School :s0083:a fellow classmate had been in Israel during the late 1980s , maybe 1990. He told me of the civil unrest there and how he witnessed an Israeli Soldier shooting a violent protester. The Israeli Soldier fired a ''rubber bullet'' at close range and hit the protester on the side of the head. My classmate said the side of his head split like a melon and a 1/4'' gash left him quickly dying on the ground. :s0039:

Thats not a military issue German rifle of any sorts. Thats a hunting rifle. Nice early scope mount. Your grand dads sniper had some practice rounds and was doing whatever he could with what he had protecting Der Vaterland .

Back about 1991 when I was in Trade School :s0083:a fellow classmate had been in Israel during the late 1980s , maybe 1990. He told me of the civil unrest there and how he witnessed an Israeli Soldier shooting a violent protester. The Israeli Soldier fired a ''rubber bullet'' at close range and hit the protester on the side of the head. My classmate said the side of his head split like a melon and a 1/4'' gash left him quickly dying on the ground. :s0039:

Do a search for 40mm baton round.

THAT is the so-called rubber bullet, as used by most military, paramilitary, militia, NG and oplice for 'non-lethal' riot control.

tac

If they had looked further and hadn't beeen so enraged, they would have undoubtedly discovered that that lone rifleman was sitting on top of a pile of fissile material.. wooden bullets are very unlikely to cause weapons grade Plutonium to go critical when hit.

lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads