JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Old news.

20.4 is well documented to have addressed that issue.

1911 and case support? DE anyone?

Your sig, "You're in range...", not "your" :)

Old news.

20.4 is well documented to have addressed that issue.

1911 and case support? DE anyone?

Your sig, "You're in range...", not "your" :)

same for saying the 1911 is "not terribly suited for the 10mm". Old news. Case support has been addressed on all 1911s a while ago. I have a DE for 20 years. No kaboom. There are more 10mm's manufacturers in 1911 than plastic guns.

lol, thanks for the spelling tip. fixed it. :p

My comment about the 1911 wasn't regarding case support, more towards the design as whole (built for 45 ACP pressures, and resulting slide velocities) being adapted to 10mm.

Sure, springs can be strengthened, but 'fit' wear, slide galling... It just wasn't designed to handle a steady diet of real 10mm. Kinda a fact.

Fine examples exist, and for those who don't shoot nuclear on a regular basis... I imagine a superior experience compared to a Glock.

Now, round for round, that's a different outcome.

Kinda feel like I'm being baited :)

Plastic gun rail = minute of chest @ 25 yards, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

How about this: Bring 4 of the finest examples of 10mm 1911 platform you can find, and enough Sig Elite (180gr 1,250, not spicy, but it'll do) to last a weekend. I'll do the same, but only a lowly G20.

First one with a failure taps out ;)

My comment about the 1911 wasn't regarding case support, more towards the design as whole (built for 45 ACP pressures, and resulting slide velocities) being adapted to 10mm.

Sure, springs can be strengthened, but 'fit' wear, slide galling... It just wasn't designed to handle a steady diet of real 10mm. Kinda a fact.

Fine examples exist, and for those who don't shoot nuclear on a regular basis... I imagine a superior experience compared to a Glock.

Now, round for round, that's a different outcome.

I dont think the 10mm is really so powerful a steel 1911 frame cant handle. Wear and tear, not much different than a 45acp. There is a lot more bearing surface than those tiny metal inserts Glocks use to guide their pistols, do those wear out?

the thing about 10mm kabooms that I have read are all ammo related from loading them too hot. That includes even commercial produced ammo... which the past (hopefully) trend in boutique ammo manufacturers was to produce the 'hottest' 10mm. Mass produce enough rounds at maximum pressure and your sure to go over sometime.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160223073947/http://www.badammo.com/claims-1.html

I have an old box of Buffalo Bore ammo that I have been hesitant to use for this reason.

I think that nowadays ammo producers have learned and are staying within SAMMI limits, as long as you stay in SAMMI limits case support is not an issue.

Kinda feel like I'm being baited :)

Plastic gun rail = minute of chest @ 25 yards, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

How about this: Bring 4 of the finest examples of 10mm 1911 platform you can find, and enough Sig Elite (180gr 1,250, not spicy, but it'll do) to last a weekend. I'll do the same, but only a lowly G20.

First one with a failure taps out ;)
neither would fail. But hey, if you wanna buy the ammo... ? :D

It just seems, not from experience, but rather unending useless reading, that while a perfect 45, the 1911 isn't terribly well suited to the 10.

There are fine examples of the platform, but for a steady diet of real 10mm...

Glock figured it out. Ugly, unergonomic, +bonus crappy trigger. It's perfect (durability) :)
Not exactly so. Mine has been golden. Not any more recoil than the 45acp. I didn't want to spend much on a 10mm 1911 cause they had problems in the first gens of those.
My cheapo armscorp is very accurate and just shoots good
I'd never hesitate on another 1911 10mm

I dont think the 10mm is really so powerful a steel 1911 frame cant handle. Wear and tear, not much different than a 45acp. There is a lot more bearing surface than those tiny metal inserts Glocks use to guide their pistols, do those wear out?

the thing about 10mm kabooms that I have read are all ammo related from loading them too hot. That includes even commercial produced ammo... which the past (hopefully) trend in boutique ammo manufacturers was to produce the 'hottest' 10mm. Mass produce enough rounds at maximum pressure and your sure to go over sometime.
Buffalo Bore Ammunition Makes Bad Claims in 10mm Handguns

I have an old box of Buffalo Bore ammo that I have been hesitant to use for this reason.

I think that nowadays ammo producers have learned and are staying within SAMMI limits, as long as you stay in SAMMI limits case support is not an issue.
I bought some BB ammo for my ten. It didn't fit into the SAMI spect chamber of my Lone Wolf barrel. When I contacted BB they attack LW!??????
All you had to do was build your ammo to Sami specs right?
Well the email back sounded like some biotch emailing me about the lone wolf chambers being too tight.
I,of course,sent LW an email telling them that BB didn't like their barrels.
I'll never buy BB ammo again,even though they are in my town.
Hope I don't have to have this talk with them before my gun show,lol

Guys, I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading, studying, loading (79 bullets, 44 powders, 811 loads). Heck, I've got a $1,500 Pressure Trace platform about I'm about to start testing with.

Why I've latched onto this, God only knows.

I do know that the bulk (Armscor included) of factory loadings are 40 short & weak. The 1911 platform, as superb as is can be, wasn't designed to handle a steady diet of 37.5K.

Truth.

Now, as much as I'd like to debate this all night, I have to switch tabs to Amazon, and continue my search for a suitable tealight hurricane lantern for my brother ;)

:D

I bought some BB ammo for my ten. It didn't fit into the SAMI spect chamber of my Lone Wolf barrel. When I contacted BB they attack LW!??????
All you had to do was build your ammo to Sami specs right?
Well the email back sounded like some biotch emailing me about the lone wolf chambers being too tight.
I,of course,sent LW an email telling them that BB didn't like their barrels.
I'll never buy BB ammo again,even though they are in my town.
Hope I don't have to have this talk with them before my gun show,lol

thats interesting, when I bought my box of BB I noticed it said "782 ft. lbs."... holy cow. I emailed them. Nice polite reply, claimed it was a typo and was really 728ftlbs. Ok fine...
but it still makes me uneasy. Then I fond that website I mentioned... Still haven't shot that box...

buffalo bore_20170204_20:20:37.jpg

I buy from Double Tapp now for original 10mm loads. never had a problem.

I've shot a couple of boxes of 21B/20, both through the stock barrel and the LW AF.

PRE was pushing max, but otherwise no issues.

Im not a reloader so.... how was the stock barrel "pushing max", what does that mean? What does the "AF" mean on the Lone Wolf barrel?

(sorry to interrupt your tealight shopping but we've got important stuff to talk about here...) :p

Last Edited:
Common thought is max .4340 with the stock barrel, 21B is right there.

LW (Dasan) varies, my primary barrel measures .4300, and 21B produced .4303 @ 50deg with a 20lb spring.

I stop handloads between .4285 & .4290 with new Starline & CCI 300.

Sig Elite 180 measure .4291 in my primary LW w/ 24lb.

4K of pretty hot stuff and the G20 is "as new" :)

ok. More info than I know what to do with... I don't really shoot mine that much, it just doesn't feel to me it will wear out any sooner if I did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top