JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has this been proven?
Who would do that to a $4000 gun?

Metallurgy and structural engineering have substantially improved for the 10mm Auto since Colt's 1987 version of their Delta Elite, but there may be some enhancements that we can't see to increase the reliability of the higher-end pistol. I couldn't say it for certain, but it is possible.

Pistols are meant to be used, but not abused. I take care of mine and enjoy them. Since I tend to employ prudence and reason, these tools will probably outlive me.

Metallurgy and structural engineering have substantially improved for the 10mm Auto since Colt's 1987 version of their Delta Elite, but there may be some enhancements that we can't see to increase the reliability of the higher-end pistol.

so I did some digging and....
but both RIA and DW make them out of cast steel....
so all things being equal, the 10mm is not really that powerful a standard modern 1911 cant handle regardless of who makes them.

I got nothing against DW, I'd say they might be "nicer", better fit and finish. But I dont think I would say it would last $3000+ dollars worth of more longer than an $800 RIA.

as as far as that fit and finish...
52009_1911-A2_ROCK-Ultra-HC_FS_10mm_rightprofile.jpg

some sources for the materials:
Rock Island Armory 1911 series - Wikipedia
Elite Series Titan - Dan Wesson

this thread is now 4 years old, started in 2013... then took a 2 year hiatus until 2016, the took an 8 month hiatus until now.

we dont get timeless discussion about what 9/40/45 to get, What is it about 10mm's ?

this thread is now 4 years old, started in 2013... then took a 2 year hiatus until 2016, the took an 8 month hiatus until now.

we dont get timeless discussion about what 9/40/45 to get, What is it about 10mm's ?

We 10mm guys are a small group of dedicated individuals who are generally the only people who know or care about the caliber in the first place. it's a bit like a religion, so they keep comin' back

so I did some digging and....
but both RIA and DW make them out of cast steel....
so all things being equal, the 10mm is not really that powerful a standard modern 1911 cant handle regardless of who makes them.

I got nothing against DW, I'd say they might be "nicer", better fit and finish. But I dont think I would say it would last $3000+ dollars worth of more longer than an $800 RIA.

as as far as that fit and finish...
View attachment 337961

some sources for the materials:
Rock Island Armory 1911 series - Wikipedia
Elite Series Titan - Dan Wesson
BTW I'll bet the street price ain't $800

I began shooting the 10mm in 1991. 26 years later, I have had and sold a .45 ACP. I don't need it because I can use the 10mm FBI load (10mm light). The 10mm can do anything that I that the .45 ACP can and more.

Flexibility, versatility, and utility. What more can one ask?

All that aside, Arf The Wonder Chicken and I learned the "secret handshake" years ago. (Beleive me, that was difficult for Arf because he doesn't have any hands)!

Last Edited:
I began shooting the 10mm in 1991. 26 years later, I have had and sold a .45 ACP. I don't need it because I can use the 10mm FBI load (10mm light). The 10mm can do anything that I that the .45 ACP can and more.

Flexibility, versatility, and utility. What more can one ask?
I should have known better than ask, technically I already knew. I got mine 20 years ago and will never sell it.

They don't have a Rock Ultra HC (High Capacity) at Davidson's Gallery of Guns, they do stock them, but are out right now. The Tactical Ultra Full size has a slightly higher $808 sticker that they sell for $653... so I expect the Rock Ultra HC would be around $650 from them also

It just seems, not from experience, but rather unending useless reading, that while a perfect 45, the 1911 isn't terribly well suited to the 10.

There are fine examples of the platform, but for a steady diet of real 10mm...

Glock figured it out. Ugly, unergonomic, +bonus crappy trigger. It's perfect (durability) :)

It just seems, not from experience, but rather unending useless reading, that while a perfect 45, the 1911 isn't terribly well suited to the 10.

There are fine examples of the platform, but for a steady diet of real 10mm...

Glock figured it out. Ugly, unergonomic, +bonus crappy trigger. It's perfect (durability) :)

glock_20kb1-tm-tfb.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads