Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WTK shipping firearm for repair

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ronin223, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Recently purchased a Keltec RFB which kaboomed on me. Keltec wants me to ship it back to them for repair.

I was wondering which is the easiest way. Last time I tried to ship a firearm through UPS they told me only a FFL can send a firearm.

thanks

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

You have to go to the UPS hub. The UPS stores are contractors and will not do it.

3. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

You can do it thru FedEx. It costs $$$.Good Luck

4. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

Please please let me know the detail on the kb....i am thinking of getting one.

5. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

I shipped my AR off to Bushmaster a bit ago. Went through FedEx - I called FedEx asking if there were any special requirements or if I had to declare what is was and their hazardous/special materials agent said just pack it well in a sturdy box. No FFL is required since it's going from owner to manufacturer (that's what Bushmaster said).

I had a prepaid label from Bushmaster so I can't comment on shipping price.

6. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

If I remember right; if value is over $600 and you want it insured 'they' want to see it. Might leave open if you will require ins. for the trip.

7. ronin223

what is a UPS hub?

thanks

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

It's the main shipping station in PDX on Swan Island.

9. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not sure about UPS, but I am sending in a gun to S&W and they emailed me a pre paid Fedex label. I just have to pack it and drop it off at a fedex center and get a receipt. When its repaired they will ship it back to me. Fedex is easy.

10. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Kel Tec should have sent a call tag (pre-paid label), to ship it back. Unless they think it is not a warranty issue, and it's user's fault, then you pay the freight.

I've shipped guns to gunsmiths for repair or upgrades. No FFL is required for me to ship it, and receive it back.

I would never declare a gun to UPS, that's when it goes missing. It's none of their business, what's inside. You must declare ammo as "ORM-D Small Arms Cartriges", if they are requesting a sample of your ammo, and you must ship it in a seperate package.

Box it up, drop it off at UPS hub, if it's an expensive gun, then insure it as an expensive "custom golf ball launcher".

11. ronin223

they are sending a tag for UPS but if it was a hassle was going to ship it myself

12. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has to be sent as hazard mail and insured. Luckily, there was a hub in Yakima I could go through when my Kel-Tec did the minor "kaboom" as well.

Is your Kel-Tec a P-3AT? Mine was, which is why I ask.

13. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

he got a keltec rbf, which shoot 308.

14. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

As I recall the RFB is a long gun, anyone can ship a long gun via USPS so long as the receiving party is an FFL. Being the OEM they are a 07FFL. Generally all you'll need is a copy of the receiving party's FFL.

I was going to say if you can get Kel-Tec to send you something to clear the way with USPS that would be the cheapest, but even cheaper is if they send you a shipping label.

15. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

The UPS hub is where all the trucks park at night. Probably won't be in a strip mall and will have limited hours for the public. With a shipping label from Kel-Tec you should have no problem. Everything was smooth when I shipped Walther PPK to Smith & Wesson for recall. Lady never even looked up when I said handgun.

16. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Is the gun under warranty?

If so, call Kel Tec back, get your RA and ask them to send you a shipping label to return it to them. You shouldn't have to pay.

17. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

They call them UPS Customer Centers. You can search for them on their website. They are a staffed counter at a hub.