JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just pulled a rifle out after about 6 months and I have rust..........

I put a coat of oil on it when I stored it. Anyway, not the first time it has happened. Anyone have some advice on how to prevent rust long term? Products etc.? Thanks.

Buy a heater and install it in the safe never happen again also outdoor store sells a drying agent you can just open up in the safe that works or so I have heard.

Pulled it out of what? If you pulled it out of a gun case that is by far the WORST place to store a gun.

What part of the PNW are you in? I am on the East side so not much problem with rust here, but I am sure West side folks have some tips.

Closet........need a second safe. Also have had issues with my mags etc. I have used the rechargeable silica packs in the storage containers that I have my mags and misc. firearm accessories. But they turn pink in a month or two.

I am on the west side.

Pulled it out of what? If you pulled it out of a gun case that is by far the WORST place to store a gun.

What part of the PNW are you in? I am on the East side so not much problem with rust here, but I am sure West side folks have some tips.

Vaseline, coat the entire thing inside and out. REMEMBER to clean the bore, bolt etc. before firing! I've used this on all my stored weapons after seeing a fine collection that belongs to a good friend. He lives directly along the beach and has kept them pristine using this method. I guarantee you wont have a rust issue.

almost any grocery store has something called "Dry-Z-Air". Boaters use it here in the Sound to keep their cabins dry. It sucks the moister out of the air helps stop the mold and mildew. Should stop your rust issue too. On the coast really is tough on metal. Wipe your gun down with transmission fluid and it will never rest.

Closet........need a second safe. Also have had issues with my mags etc. I have used the rechargeable silica packs in the storage containers that I have my mags and misc. firearm accessories. But they turn pink in a month or two.

I am on the west side.

I store my overflow in a walk in closet. I noticed I was starting to get traces of rust on the butt plates of some mil-surps that sat on carpet. I now leave the closet light on 24/365 and have the rifles on a 1X6 strip of wood. No more rust issues.

I use the rechargeable silica packs in my safes and recharge every two months.

I use the "Dry-Z-Air" (Bi-Mart sells it and I recently saw it at Wal-Mart) and rub them down real good with CLP. The Dry-Z-Air kit is about $10 and the recharge packets run about $1.50 each. They work by capturing moisture and collecting it in a bowl built into the kit. I can say from experience the captured moisture will kill the grass and or weeds when you dump it out.
Mike

Pulled your rifle out of what? Safe? Case? Closet? Indoors, or in the garage?

I have 3 gun safes, all in an interior room with no outside exposure, climate (heat pump) controlled. In each safe I have various sizes of silica jell packets. Since I began this kind of storage, about 20+ years ago, I have never had a speck of rust or other corrosion on any of my guns or other items stored there.

I used to have some rust problems, but not for years now.
When I did, I used birtchwood caseys sheath spray and things stopped rusting.
Now I only use it to remove fingerprints from my older finely blued revolvers.

I used to have some rust problems, but not for years now.
When I did, I used birtchwood caseys sheath spray and things stopped rusting.
Now I only use it to remove fingerprints from my older finely blued revolvers.

I also have had very good success using Birchwood Casey's Sheath - now relabeled "Barricade".
Barricade gets into the smallest spaces. I re-apply it once a year and never had any rust.
I also use a Goldenrod heater in my safe. You can also use a low watt light bulb.
The gentle heat it creates keeps the dew-point at safe levels for metal.

My poor man's method: bought silica cat litter - costs about $8 at Wally World for a big bag - and took several of my better half's USED knee-high stocking hose (DON'T use a brand new pair - long story....). Put about 1/2 pound in each stocking, and arrange them throughout the safe and ammo boxes. No worries with moisture around here.

Note: the sand-based cat litter won't work. Must use the silica crystal product.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top