JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

Still new to WA, used to be from a "Law Heavy" east coast state. So, i see them for sale, can I carry/own Automatic/Assisted knives here in WA legal? Is ok to have one on my person while out and about at the local grocery store?

Thanks
Will

The exemptions to 9.41.250 can be found in 9.41.251.

You can also see what the "punishment" is IF you are caught carrying, and the LEO chooses to do something about it, by reading the law with the links in it.

I have carried mine for many years and never had any negative response. The 9.41.251 is a fairly new exemption, which I do fall under now. On a reality level cops have much more critical things to do then to mess with guy in a store with a knife. Now if you get in "trouble" for doing something else odds are you will get charged with every little thing they can find.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

A. Sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any blackjack, sand-club, metal knuckles, switchblade knife, chako sticks, or throwing stars; or

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other than a firearm; or

C. Possess a firearm in any stadium or convention center operated by a city, county or other municipality, except that such restriction shall not apply to:

1. Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, or

2. Any showing, demonstration or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

D. Sell or give away to any person under eighteen (18) years of age any dangerous knife or deadly weapon other than a firearm, or for any person under eighteen (18) years of age to purchase any dangerous knife or deadly weapon other than a firearm, or for any person under eighteen (18) years of age to possess any dangerous knife or deadly weapon other than a firearm except when under the direct supervision of an adult.

Most cops would tell you not to carry it next time, and at worst, confiscate, BUT, if the cop is a jerk, or having a bad day, be careful! I was recently in possession of a blackjack I carried for years, which is legal in WA, but apparently not in Seattle. I even purchased a blackjack in a Seattle store... Even so, an officer that arrived to help me on an unrelated non-emergency call, saw its handstrap hanging out of my pocket and just reached in and pulled it out after asking if it was a dog leash. Anyway, he waited on word on its legality on his radio, and then confiscated it and charged me with "unlawful use of weapons", for which I now have to do community service to keep the charge off of my record and avoid any jail time. I know another man who experienced the same, but with a switchblade, and knife. Oddly enough, you can buy one at just about any gas station.

From the RCW's:
RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.
In other words, even a knife that opens on it's own just by gravity is illegal, let alone a spring blade knife.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top