JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They don't hold their value, and are hard to sell once you decided you don't want it anymore.

Think about it.

Pay $400 for a can, $200 for the form4, and $50 or $75 for the xfer. (new can)

Fire it, try to sell it.

Unless your can is rare and/or hard to get, nobody will pay the same price for it new as you did. Don't forget, you still have the $200 for the form4 (that is, if you sell it to someone in your own state). So why would someone buy a used can when you could get a new one for the same money?

thank you mr a hole.

I have thought about it and that is WHY I am asking. Not all of us know everything about
everything.

like you obviously think you do.

thank you mr a hole.

I have thought about it and that is WHY I am asking. Not all of us know everything about
everything.

like you obviously think you do.

I don't see one here being an a-hole except for you at the moment. He did answer the question in a way that I thought was level and appropriate.

While we are just sharing opinions here...I don't think anyone has answered the questions.

If there is anyone...that has actually owned one and tried to sell it... please give us some factual information...I'm very interested in your experience! So are the other 65 viewers clickin on this thread...apparently?

Otherwise rationalized opinions, (addressed as though the original poster is a dumbass unable to come up with the same simple conclusions) back slapping and gang banging seems a little out of line.

"Think about"...doesnt tell us a lot about anything but your opinion...a big derrrr for something already considered. If you have any experience selling one...tell us about it. I'd like to know if there is a market for used silencers...since theres been quite a lot of mention about them in the last few months...I'd guess there might be others also curious?

I agree with your second opinion..."nobody will pay the same price for it new as you did"...but I would pay less...that is kinda what we look for here isnt it? Good deals or Good trades and Good information.

Seems like another fun toy to play with...Is'nt that all we're really doing here...talking about our toys and if yes or no, to buy a new one?
Costly? Yep...but not exactly a required toy is it?

Just another opinion...from another... a hole ...that is watching.

ronin223, I will agree with pencap 1000% on this one AND I belive you are out of line in what you said. I would have said the same thing, you buy suppressors to keep, not to resell unless you are a dealer...

New suppressor- $595
Tax stamp- $200
Transfer fee-$50
=$845

You might be able to sell it for $500 used...

While we are just sharing opinions here...I don't think anyone has answered the questions.

If there is anyone...that has actually owned one and tried to sell it... please give us some factual information...I'm very interested in your experience! So are the other 65 viewers clickin on this thread...apparently?

Possibly the tone was a little off with the "think about it" remark, but the question has been answered.

Is there a market for a used suppressor? Yes, but it's limited. Unless the used one is a real deal and exactly what the buyer wants, people usually will buy new.

Do suppressors hold their value? In my opinion, they do not hold their value well. I have worked for a Class III shop in the past and I have observed that NFA stuff is niche. The market is different than regular firearms stuff. While select fire guns can hold their value or increase in value over time since the registry was closed in 1986, there are new suppressors constantly entering the market. Also suppressors tend to get redesigned and upgraded relatively frequently so your suppressor may be fine but it can be last year's model which will hurt you for resale.

A used suppressor has value but if you are selling to a NFA dealer, it is not uncommon for the dealer to make you as the seller eat the $200 transfer tax to them which can be pretty harsh. The shop I worked with used to do this all the time. It wasn't my policy. It was just the way it was and sellers were usually happy to find someone to take the suppressor they didn't want off their hands. If a seller is in a rush to sell, the seller usually loses money. -I have seen owners of .22 YHM Mite suppressors offer them for free online to anyone who would pay the $200 transfer tax on them.

If you are looking to sell a used suppressor, the same state (one transfer tax) private party deals usually work best but expect to take a substantial hit.

I was speaking with Arkitek and while this is not directly in response to the original poster's question, he thought some of this might be useful for people who are not familiar with suppressors...

When buying suppressors a person needs to do his/her legwork regarding what fit his/her needs. Silencer Talk has a forum that has some fairly knowledgeable people. There a person can learn about running cans wet and dry. What a person can expect from a can, what not to do with a can (i.e. never touch one immediately after firing, they're very hot), that not all cans use the same threads, etc.

http://www.silencertests.com/

Ideally, if a person can find a local who has a suppressor or two, try to go shooting with him or her. It really will open one's eyes. One can learn about how a suppressor can affect balance, how some cans can block pistol sights, how using a liquid medium reduces sound, how using a can forces gases back into the action of the firearm, the importance of using subsonic ammo, etc.

Also be aware that there are some arguments about what can is the best. There's a lot of reliance on decibels and what someone who heard it thought. The thing is that those are two different things. A person may have a gap in their hearing, i.e. they may not be able to hear frequencies in a certain range possibly due to hearing loss / damaged hearing from shooting guns. That can cause Person A to say Brand X is better than Brand Y. Person B could have the opposite problem and honestly believe that Brand Y is better than Brand X since he cannot hear a different frequency range.

As far as prices, this may have changed but one place I'd definitely make my first stop is Major Malfunction. He buys in bulk and usually was quite a bit cheaper than the competition. The shop I worked with in NV received many transfers from him. Since Oregon doesn't have sales tax it may not be as big a deal for people here but I remember the savings being good enough to justify the cost of the typical dealer to dealer transfer fee for our customers.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/

I hope this helps-

I gave it a lot of thought before I bought one and went with a YHM (yankee hill machine) 7.62 Phantom suppressor. This is in 30cal and can be put on any 30cal or smaller with their flashhider (QD Mount) I have 4 rifles set up for it right now. The suppessor makes my mini 14 (223) sound like a 22mag. $800 in suppessor & tax. I will keep forever because of low resale, maybe 50% if I'm lucky. I would do it again, it sure has been a lot of fun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top