JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How horrible, but Thank God he didn't kill anyone else.

On-duty NYPD cop Philip Chlanda kills himself on city street after Facebook dispute with girlfriend

An on-duty city cop distraught over a possible breakup with his girlfriend pulled out his gun in front of her and fatally shot himself in the head early Tuesday.

"I love you," Officer Philip Chlanda told his girlfriend before pulling the trigger on a Manhattan street.

The 29-year-old cop argued with his gal pal after he looked at her Facebook page to see if she was seeing anyone else, said Paul Browne, NYPD's chief spokesman.

"He was left with the impression that she might leave him," Browne said.

Chlanda, in uniform and on a meal break, left the apartment on E. 36th St. where he and the girlfriend lived with his parents. The couple walked downstairs and continued their argument on the sidewalk near the cop's squad car.

As he pulled his service .9mm Glock about 3:20 a.m., the girlfriend ran toward him, but not in time to stop him firing, Browne said.

Chlanda was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, but died.

Browne called it "a sad, tragic incident."

He said the officer, a 4-year veteran, had "an unblemished record," with no issues. Chlanda was assigned to the 1st Precinct in Tribeca.

The couple had lived together in a room in his parents' third floor apartment, he said, and planned to get their own apartment soon.
"Nobody saw this coming," said Browne.

"He was a gentle sort of fellow, very courteous," said a neighbor, Dr. Rosemary Clemens. "It's very unsettling. It's particularly terrible when it's somebody in the line of duty protecting others. He must have been a very troubled soul. All we can do is hope he's in a better place."

I've been in some low points in life, and still not terribly happy now. But I can never understand doing that. I will never understand hurting others for pleasure or profit, and I will never iunderstand killing yourself over a relationship.
So sad a life has to end for nothing.
I would love to be a LEO, and to see something like this makes me very sad.

Been there, low points that is. Way low! Facing things someone should never have to face, going through living ****. But suicide is the most selfish act someone cant commit. There is always another day, and its always darkest before the dawn.

...suicide is the most selfish act someone can commit.
From some people it's a gift to the world, even while being selfish.

It may be a permanent solution to a temporary problem for some people. For others it may be the *only* way to escape the pain. Who am I to sit in judgement of someone else's pain?

Making laws against it has always stuck me as government intrusion into mine and my family's private space.

MrB+

From some people it's a gift to the world, even while being selfish.

It may be a permanent solution to a temporary problem for some people. For others it may be the *only* way to escape the pain. Who am I to sit in judgement of someone else's pain?

Making laws against it has always stuck me as government intrusion into mine and my family's private space.

MrB+

Very well said.

I always wondered about "suicide watch".Why? If the guy wants to go,let him.
I'll stop there

I see this type of thing as kind of a culling,myself.Maybe cold but the guy was going to do it some time.Glad he didn't wait till he and the girl had a baby and killed them too.

You just don't know what's going on inside someone's head.

I'll stop

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads