JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
71744494_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.jpg

Back in the 80s, on Camp Lejeune, the French Creek Area Guard had 12 ga. 870s. There were 2 to 6, two man units with radios wandering all over the area. These were ordinary Marines detailed from various units.

Our current leadership would rather keep all the weapons locked up and allow random killings take place, than train and equip (keep weapons easily accessible in a locker in each company office), the service men to respond if a life threatening event happens on base.

In regards to allowing service members to be armed...
I can see the merit in the idea...and some issues.

I remember when I was in ....I would carry my field knife , when on a FTX or when deployed and at times , certain NCO's and Officers would come unglued...at that sight / thought.
Now there I was...serving in a Infantry MOS ( LRRP / LRSD ) ...having seen combat and yet some folks can't stand the thought of me having a knife....?
Yet I can have a issued rifle , grenades , LAW Rocket launcher , M18A1 Claymore mines , etc....
The knife by the way is just a BlackJack Model 5 , not some big , dumb "Rambo" fantasy knife.
I can only just imagine what those folks would make of service members being armed with a pistol while on base.

And with that said...
I did meet more that few soldiers in the same MOS ,that I wouldn't trust with a water gun.

Maybe a vetted , rotating , duty platoon of experienced soldiers , could be armed ....
I really don't know...
Andy

Back in the 80s, on Camp Lejeune, the French Creek Area Guard had 12 ga. 870s. There were 2 to 6, two man units with radios wandering all over the area. These were ordinary Marines detailed from various units.

Our current leadership would rather keep all the weapons locked up and allow random killings take place, than train and equip (keep weapons easily accessible in a locker in each company office), the service men to respond if a life threatening event happens on base.
Sadly as they drop the standards for the people allowed in restrictions just continue to tighten. The military is changing and is strongly influenced by outside politics.

FB Video at the link, along with the story.

The military I was in had a LOT of F'ups and losers in it , drug addicts, etc. At least 4 murders in the town I was stationed in in 3 years committed by soldiers one of whom I knew well. One guy even decapitated his wifes boyfriend and threw his head on her lap in the hospital while she was there to give birth to the other guys child. Those people. Lots of people who arent prepared for it getting really stressed out all the time. In a combat environment sure give them guns and ammo and point them in the direction of the enemy. Walking around garrison armed all the time? Sure but be prepared for more murders on base.

Not sure why the guy was convicted for this. Should have been given a medal! YMMV!

Not sure why the guy was convicted for this. Should have been given a medal! YMMV!

Yes, it was a terribly wrong thing to do and I in no way advocate for the guy who killed the other soldier infidelity or not. Maybe 3% of the people I knew in the military had any sense of fidelity . Having said that he brought the other guys head to the hospital in a "Head" bag.

Earlier on December 11, 2019.

NAS-CC shelter-in-place has been lifted

Posted: 7:50 AM, Dec 11, 2019

Updated: 11:51 AM, Dec 11, 2019

By: Ana Tamez

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A shelter-in-place issued for Naval Air Station Corpus Christi has been lifted.

An armed suspect was located near the Corpus Christi Army Depot's Building 8 on-base and has been taken into custody, said NAS-CC Public Information Officer Fifi Kieshnick, prompting the order.

^^^

MORE on the link.

Cate

It's been awhile since I have been on any military bases, exception of Marine Bases, MANY gates are guarded by private security guard companies. Not a clue when it started, by it seems many armed and unarmed US properties are being guarded by private companies. Unknown what kind of hiring background qualifications are required for each?

As an IDF vet I've always been blown away by the fact that American servicemen are unarmed at their bases. Same thing at Ft. Hood with that Jihadi Major Nidal Hasan killing 13 (if memory serves). Hell, get caught on one of our bases WITHOUT your weapon and see what happens (hint: not pleasant).
Perhaps somebody here can explain the rational behind what seems to me to be a really asinine situation.

As an IDF vet I've always been blown away by the fact that American servicemen are unarmed at their bases. Same thing at Ft. Hood with that Jihadi Major Nidal Hasan killing 13 (if memory serves). Hell, get caught on one of our bases WITHOUT your weapon and see what happens (hint: not pleasant).
Perhaps somebody here can explain the rational behind what seems to me to be a really asinine situation.

The situation is much different in Israel. Generally our enemy is going to be thousands of miles away. Its the very rare terrorist occurrence when it seems like it MIGHT be a good idea to arm soldiers on base but those of us who have been in the US military know from experience that wouldnt end well. We treat our kids like children in America until they are in their 20's and many act like it.

Wired, thank you for your response. I would think that with the prolific rise in Islamic fundamentalism and concurrent growth of home-grown Jihadis, not to mention the threat of OTM's sneaking across borders, that it would began to dawn on the powers-that-be that the enemy is not always thousands of miles away.

Wired, thank you for your response. I would think that with the prolific rise in Islamic fundamentalism and concurrent growth of home-grown Jihadis, not to mention the threat of OTM's sneaking across borders, that it would began to dawn on the powers-that-be that the enemy is not always thousands of miles away.

You really can't compare it to the situation in Israel. As others have noted previously on many bases you can't even walk around base with a sharp knife. One of the issues with an all volunteer military is you don't always end up with the best and the brightest. To be sure theres a lot of good patriotic people but theres also a lot of borderline garbage that goes into the military.

One of the issues with an all volunteer military is you don't always end up with the best and the brightest. To be sure theres a lot of good patriotic people but theres also a lot of borderline garbage that goes into the military.
Couldn't that be also said of a mandatory service system where all eligible/legal citizens must serve a period in the Defense Forces?
Might be more to do with the vastly diferent cultures and social rules?

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads