JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all-

I haven't been around in a while, but I think I'm ready to see whats out there.

Due to the size limitations of my current handguns, and the restricted nature of the places I go (open carry is seldom welcomed where I go), I am looking for a solid CCW.

Requirements:
1- Automatic-- I'm still not a fan of revolvers, I've shot my share, but never found one that I liked shooting
2- 9mm Preferred-- I have a 9mm and a .45, so I'd like to limit the types of ammo I need to buy. The 45 is tough enough in a full size 1911 on my hands, so I think that limits me to the 9mm
3- Very small-- I'm sporting a 32" waist, and weigh less than 140 lbs. For me to CC comfortably, I need something Small!
4- Respectable capacity-- No 4 round mags or anything, I am not good enough of a shot to carry less than ~7 or 8 rounds
5- Reasonably priced-- I don't want to be spending terribly much on this, but if you post/PM offers, I'll let you know if it is the same ball park. Also, for something really 'cool' I might be willing to break this rule.

I think that covers it, if I think up more, I'll post em.

Makarov PM 9x18. It is not a a 9mm parabellum but it meets all the other requirements.

As for the cool factor, well, check here. That's the gun Michael gave Fiona as a birthday present in Burn Notice.

Bulgarian Maks tend to be the most reasonably priced. East German are the nicest. Russian military version are the priciest and most rare. The Russian IJ-70 "commercial version" have adjustable sights that get off and require re-adjustment constantly. Also, stay away from the high capacity. I don't know about the Chinese. Check also Makarov.com for detailed info. Aftermaket is still good, but not what it used to be.

There are also other former eatern block countries handguns that fire the 9x18 but are not Makarovs. Based on the ppk. I'd stay away from the alloy frames as their durability is questionable, and are not much lighter than a steel framed Mak. But got to admit they are even cheaper and plentty available.

PhysicsGuy-- Thanks!! For some reason I completely missed this section.

pr787lv -- That is an interesting one, and I do love my burn notice ;)

The P9 does look just about right. I've been looking at that, and the Kel-tec PF-9, as they seem very similar.

Any opinions on the two? Anyone have a preference, and why?

Finally, anyone have a newish/lightly used one for sale? Holster wear and stuff is obviously fine, since this isn't gonna be a BBQ gun, but reliability is obviously my #1.

the makarov round is a good one the cz82 is a steal at the moment and has a 12 rd mag. as for needing that many you should practice more it is real easy to miss with all 13 rds the odds dont get any better with the amount of rounds you fire. Spray and pray is not a good defence tactic.

I ended up getting the PF9 through a private transaction on the board, and am quite happy with it. I haven't shot it yet, but it conceals amazingly!

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.