JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not sure if this belongs in any of the other forums so I posted here but if this thread does not belong here feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

Yesterday evening I was arrested for DUI after losing control on a wet freeway entrance in my miata and hitting a traffic sign but I would like to plead not guilty. The breathalyzer came back at 0.01 %BAC and the drug test officer determined I was not under the influence of anything. I was quite surprised when the officer on scene decided to arrest me. I do still have to go to court though. I am also setting up a court date to contest the validity of impounding my vehicle. I figured you guys would know of some decent defense attorneys in the area and I was wondering if you could hook me up. Thanks!

I can provide you with a very competent attorney. However, if it is a Washington County Case I can not because the atty is both a private attorney and administers a traffic court in Washington County.

I can provide you with a very competent attorney. However, if it is a Washington County Case I can not because the atty is both a private attorney and administers a traffic court in Washington County.

The accident took place in Lake Oswego (Clackamas County) and the hearings are at the Lake Oswego Municipal Court.

Are you sure he arrested you for an actual DUI or for driving a Miata? One's a crime, and one should be :s0114:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck my friend, I hope the BS gets dropped

Getting arrested with a reading of .01 is highly suspicious. Eating a cherry liquor candy can cause a result that high. Only if an officer has other reasons to believe you are impaired would an arrest happen. If these are accurate facts you will have the charges dropped.

Wellp, I got a piece of paper here that says .01%, I can scan it if ya don't believe me. :p The officer arresting me felt that I did not pass the "are you drunk" tests done at the scene. Later at their HQ the drug expert officer did the same tests plus some others and passed me though. They did not even bother taking me to the jail or taking my license or anything just let me go right there. I'm guessing they are hoping I'll take the commuted sentence or whatever where they take it off my record but I have to go to a DUI school. Forget that!

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check them out anyway. I'd feel better about the whole thing having a lawyer present even if it is overkill. Better to have way more firepower than necessary than the other way 'round imo.

One bit of funny side trivia--apparently the lake oswego police department has never seen an out of state CHL before. I had to explain how that works like 10 times. Also, the officer that arrested me had to call her superior to make sure that it's not illegal to transport ammo over state lines (lol wut?). Apparently she thought that ammo counted as explosives or something.

Are you saying you failed a field sobriety test? Because if you did that can be bad news. People who pass the field sobriety test but fail the breath test can still be charged and vice versa. If you failed the field sobriety test definitely get a lawyer. Especially now that the state is actively pushing for more convictions and tougher penalties for DUI. I hope you are innocent. Had you been drinking? If you had been drinking I will have a hard time being on your side.

I had 2 beers with a burger 4 hours prior to the event and I have witnesses and receipts to prove it. I cannot imagine that being a problem. I felt completely sober when I got into my car, not even a little buzzed. I am firmly convinced it was a bad call on the part of the officer, especially since I passed both the breathalyzer and subject matter expert given sobriety test shortly thereafter. I understand your suspicions and will not be offended if you are not on my side though. All I want is links to lawyers cuz I do want to fight this.

The problem with witnesses in a case like this is they can only tell the judge the minimum amount you had to drink. Meaning if they saw you drink two, then you drank "at least two" in the eyes of the court. Also, I have to say that I cannot count the times I have witnessed a drunk driver claim "two beers a couple hours ago" when he was stopped. I am not saying you are lying, but your circumstances fall right into what they are used to hearing. If you admitted to drinking and then failed a field sobriety test you are likely in for a costly legal battle at the very least. That is why I always say, if you have in intention of driving anytime soon do not drink.

The problem with witnesses in a case like this is they can only tell the judge the minimum amount you had to drink. Meaning if they saw you drink two, then you drank "at least two" in the eyes of the court.
I did have conversations with both the bartender and owner of the pub and was with the two people who came with me the entire time. I dunno if that makes any difference though.

Also, I have to say that I cannot count the times I have witnessed a drunk driver claim "two beers a couple hours ago" when he was stopped. I am not saying you are lying, but your circumstances fall right into what they are used to hearing.
Yeah I know... I kinda figured that as well, but I didn't want to lie. :/ She probably thought exactly the same thing.

If you admitted to drinking and then failed a field sobriety test you are likely in for a costly legal battle at the very least. That is why I always say, if you have in intention of driving anytime soon do not drink.
Personally I didn't consider 4 hours to be within the "anytime soon" especially after only 2 beers. Do you think it would be better if instead of fighting I had it commuted? It would not go on my record that way either.

There must be something with Lake Oswego and CHLs. I got pulled over a couple of years ago and they said that my Oregon CHL didn't show up in their system. What? I've only had the thing since 1990!
The officer that pulled me over, though, was a super cool dude and even talked guns with me for a bit and told me that if the CHL had showed in their system he wouldn't have bothered to pull me over. (I got pulled over for an obstructed rear plate)

Lake O....If you were driving something that costs North of $100,000 they would have chauffeured you home. Interesting that LEOs in the land of expensive Lawyers don't know the rules better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top