JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Looking for a good gun to carry while backpacking/hiking, meaning, some good punch, and not too much weight, easy to maintain and clean, and if possible in small footprint size.
Price range:blelow $350.
Thanks

For something for what you are looking for, I would recommend saving/spending a little more, in the neighborhood of 400-500, and getting an ideal gun for hiking and such, which to me I would recommend finding a nice used Glock G20 in 10mm. But if you want compact, a Glock 29, which is the compact 10mm.

In the woods, I imagine it could also apply to defending yourself from even the 4 legged predator as well. And in a Oh @#$# situation, you want to know you have enough gun and a reliable gun at that.

Good luck with whatever you go with. :)

If you are getting a subcompact I wouldn't suggest getting a 10mm in anything shorter than a 4-5" barrel, just because the velocity in short barrels of even the best loads put you down in upper .40 performance.

Look at the G32 for trails, its my everyday carry. There are lovers and haters, I'm a lover. Not nearly as much snap as a 10mm, but I suppose that transfers to effectiveness. You can get them out to around 1500fps.

I would also warn against the Bersa 45s. A friend of mine (against my advice) recently purchased one, and had failures to feed from the get go.

Another route to consider would be a smaller, used .357 revolver - you should be able to find one in your price range. Something like a Ruger SP101 or S&W 60. If you don't need to conceal it, you might even think about a larger frame like a S&W 66 or Ruger GP100.

Great idea. I bought my dad a taurus .38 spc as a fathers day present, with the intent that he'd use it on his frequent trail walks. Its an airlite or whatever they call their alloy revolver, so I stayed away from the .357. There are still some good .38+p loads out there.

Cost was about 300 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Looking for a good gun to carry while backpacking/hiking, meaning, some good punch, and not too much weight, easy to maintain and clean, and if possible in small footprint size.
Price range:blelow $350.
Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies - even the one's to SgtKashim(thread highjacker:D)
So, I am new on these thing of guns, specially handguns, as far as buying one. Yes, I do have military training 8), so I don't know everything about them, but just enought to keep myself out of trouble.

What's a .357 as far as brand/maker? Ditance is not much of an issue, because, if ever I am going to use it - hopefully never, and most likely will be a short range, like 20 feet or less. I would try to avoid conflict with the beast - four or two legged one - before enganging into firing.
Yes, I intend to get a permit and conceal it - I have seen people freaking out a bit if you are not in camo gear, and carrying any gun.

Really don't need a brand new gun with WIFI ( sorry for the lame joke), and weight is bit of concern obviously, but the sheer size is the main issue - and probably a semi-automatic, would be the ideal.

any more suggestions ? no liability to be issued...so go ahead

What's a .357 as far as brand/maker?

As I mentioned in my post, probably any used Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolver would do well for what you want. Other brands like Rossi or Taurus would also be ok.

If you want to conceal it easier, get a 5-shot, 2"-3" barrel version. If you want to shoot a lot of .357's, you might want a steel-frame model since (I believe) those soak up recoil better. If you don't intend to shoot much .357 (you can shoot .38's out of a .357) and you really are concerned about weight, then get an aluminum-alloy frame model.

Others may disagree (and are free to share their own opinions), but I think a revolver makes a good gun for someone w/o a lot of handgun experience. Easy to use; easy to figure out if it's loaded or not; reliable. To be sure, automatics have their plusses, but they can be more complicated to operated, determine if they're loaded, etc.

If you're dead-set on getting an auto, then I might recommend a used Glock, S&W M&P or Springfield XD in whatever caliber you desire (rent some at a range before you decide). These guns are pretty durable & light with plastic frames. They also tend to be simpler in some ways - I think Glocks aren't too far-off from revolvers: pull trigger, gun goes bang.

But, I can give you all the advice in the world, and if you don't shoot before you buy, you may get something you hate (but I like). Go find a range that rents guns and try a few. You might like something totally different from what I've suggested.

If you are going to go with a Taurus, be careful. I love my Taurus 65, but I also like to work on my guns. The fit and finish on my Taurus 65 was not anywhere near my S&W or Rugers. I spent last night sanding of (another) high spot on the frame of the gun to fit on a Hogue wood grip. Other work I did to the gun: Wolff Spring Kit ($12 spent to make the trigger feel like I spent $100 more on a better gun) and sanding on the frame to remove a high spot that caused cartridge rims to BIND against the frame.

After all the sanding/polishing, I put 750 (500 reloads (cheap JHP) and 250 Independence SJFP) rounds through the gun (mixture of .38 and .357) with only one light strike by another shooter, so I don't know what happened.

I saw a .45 1911 RIA in excellent condition at the Gun Broker in tigard a couple of days ago for $329. If interested, I would call them and if they have it, ask them to hold it.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top