JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Savage
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Vancouver
State
Washington
Recently inherited an old Savage model 1899 chambered in 22 Savage High Power, and looking for reloading components (or factory ammo):

• Dies - Interested in any dies, but specifically would like to find a neck sizing die as they don't seem to be available anymore
  • Brass - 22 savage HP or 25-35 Winchester. Used is fine. Will consider 30-30 brass if I can't find anything else
  • Bullets - 0.228 diameter ~50-80 grain. Looking for low cost plinking/target bullets, lead is fine. Might be interested in casting molds and equipment.
  • Powder and primers - interested, but not my primary need.

I know this is a bit of a long shot as it's an uncommon caliber, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm in SW WA, but happy to pay for shipping as needed.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
My boss has this caliber in a 1899 from 1918 and I several years ago I bought stuff to do reloading for it (his gun has a 410 barrel to go with it). You might look for 5.6x52r reloading dies/stuff as that is an European equivalent caliber. I bought the Hornady version (Item #: 546238) and have used it to reload about 30 rounds. I was unable to find any original larger diameter 22 caliber bullets but read that standard .224 bullets can be used but you may lose some accuracy. I did also get a Redding form/trim die (where you form & then file for length) for converting 30/30 cases (Redding #: 83338) but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.
I can't find my load data but I used 60 grain .224 bullets and likely IMR4895 powder. There is plenty of load information if you Google search just that. Good luck with you new rifle and piece of history. Amazing craftsmanship on these old guns. Hope yours is as accurate as his was and it was definitely a blast & priveledge to shoot it. Kind of interesting what the views where at the time regarding this small diameter bullet with amazing powers (the tiger is 400 pounds).
Here is load data from Lyman 44th Edition:

22 Savage HP.jpg G1221-RIFLES-3.jpg The_American_Museum_journal_(c1900-(1918))_(17973692960).jpg

In stock @ $30 a box.
Thanks. I did find that already, but I've read that the 5.6x52mm S&B brass has a slightly undersized base diameter, which leads to short case life in these rifles. Will buy some and see for myself if I don't find other options. Probably should have been a bit more clear in my ad.

My boss has this caliber in a 1899 from 1918 and I several years ago I bought stuff to do reloading for it (his gun has a 410 barrel to go with it). You might look for 5.6x52r reloading dies/stuff as that is an European equivalent caliber. I bought the Hornady version (Item #: 546238) and have used it to reload about 30 rounds. I was unable to find any original larger diameter 22 caliber bullets but read that standard .224 bullets can be used but you may lose some accuracy. I did also get a Redding form/trim die (where you form & then file for length) for converting 30/30 cases (Redding #: 83338) but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.
I can't find my load data but I used 60 grain .224 bullets and likely IMR4895 powder. There is plenty of load information if you Google search just that. Good luck with you new rifle and piece of history. Amazing craftsmanship on these old guns. Hope yours is as accurate as his was and it was definitely a blast & priveledge to shoot it. Kind of interesting what the views where at the time regarding this small diameter bullet with amazing powers (the tiger is 400 pounds).
Here is load data from Lyman 44th Edition:

View attachment 1282014 View attachment 1282033 View attachment 1282053
Thanks! I think I'll pass on the tiger hunting lol

I form 25-35 from 30-30, it's a bit of a push down, certain brands of cases seem to always crease, I had best luck with Winchester brass. Either new or annealed makes for much better success rates. I believe I ran it through 3 different dies to get it to 25 cal. I could probably spare some 30-30 converted brass if you don't find anything else.

Here's a couple die sets on ebay.....Pricey!

The S&B 5.7x52R ammo is the easy way to get shooting your 22HP.
Running 25-35 brass into a 22HP FL die is almost as easy, but you need to find a source for 25-35 brass.
I've been successful making 22HP cases from 30-30 brass using my 219 Zipper forming die set.
I mainly shoot cast through my 22HP and might even have a spare .228" sizing die in a box somewhere.

Update on this - thanks to everyone for all the help! So far I've picked up a 2 die set from Gunfighter47 and some 25-35 brass from Ckgworks. Found some options for cast bullets I can order, so I should be able to put some rounds together soon.

Would still like to find a neck sizing die (or a reasonably cheap spare full length sizer I can machine out to make into a neck sizing die?). Still interested in bullets too - the more the merrier :)

@johnly, I don't know whether I'll actually get into casting my own bullets at some point or if it'd just sit in a drawer for the next several decades until I get a round tuit, but if you do come across that sizing die I'd be interested :)

Update on this - thanks to everyone for all the help! So far I've picked up a 2 die set from Gunfighter47 and some 25-35 brass from Ckgworks. Found some options for cast bullets I can order, so I should be able to put some rounds together soon.

Would still like to find a neck sizing die (or a reasonably cheap spare full length sizer I can machine out to make into a neck sizing die?). Still interested in bullets too - the more the merrier :)

@johnly, I don't know whether I'll actually get into casting my own bullets at some point or if it'd just sit in a drawer for the next several decades until I get a round tuit, but if you do come across that sizing die I'd be interested :)
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious where you found cast bullets.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.