JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A WSP trooper was shot while on duty - early Saturday morning February 13th. I have not seen any mention of this in the big-city media, here is an article in the Daily Astorian:
<broken link removed>

From the above article:
A Washington State Patrol trooper survived an attempted assassination early Saturday morning and is expected to return home soon from Oregon Health Sciences University Hospital.

Much the same info shows up in the Chinook Observer:
<broken link removed>

The officer is Scott Johnson of Naselle WA. Scott is well-known and well-respected locally, he and his sons operate a small contracting company which does excavation and site-prep work (Johnson & Son's Excavation did the site prep work on my shop in 1993). All the best to Scott and I am glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery.

Last Edited:
kptv.com
Related To Story

Video
•$26K Reward Offered In Shooting Of Trooper

$26K Reward Offered In Shooting Of Trooper
Shooter At Large After Incident In Long Beach, Wash.

POSTED: 8:32 am PST February 13, 2010
UPDATED: 12:53 pm PST February 14, 2010

LONG BEACH, Wash. -- A Washington State Patrol trooper survived being shot in the head early Saturday during a confrontation in the southwest Washington town of Long Beach.

Trooper Scott Johnson was taking inventory of a car waiting to be towed on State Route 103 near 12th Street when a man walked up to him. There was a short verbal exchange between the man, a tow truck driver and Johnson before the man pulled out a small caliber handgun and fired two shots, police said.

Johnson suffered two gunshot wounds, one of them to his head, a police spokeswoman said in a news release. He was able to return fire, but it's unknown if the man was hit.

Paramedics rushed Johnson to Ocean Beach Hospital and then to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland.

The driver of the car being towed had been arrested by another trooper on a charge of driving while impaired. Troopers said there's no evidence that the arrest and the shooting are related.

In a statement Saturday morning, Washington State Patrol Chief John Batiste said Johnson was "ambushed while performing what should have been a simple law enforcement task."

Johnson is a 25-year veteran of Washington State Patrol. He was in stable condition Saturday afternoon.

"I'm exceptionally thankful that Trooper Johnson is doing well," Batiste said.

The assailant is described as white, 35 to 40 years old with a light tan complexion. He is 5 feet 10 inches to 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs about 185 to 200 pounds. He wore a dark-colored shirt and may have been wearing a knit cap.

A $26,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts or identity of the shooter is asked to call one of the two tip lines below:
•Out-of-state Tip Line: 1-360-405-6650
•Washington State Tip Line: 1-800-283-7808

They've got the guy and since he got booked into jail I would say it's safe to assume that he's not injured. I had hoped that Scott got a round into the guy and he was slowly being poisoned by his own bowel leaking into his guts while he was on the run.
Barring that I had hoped that he would be shot resisting when they arrested him. Too bad things don't work out the way we want some times.
Scott Johnson is a good guy who has been in the state patrol for 25 years. He's a stand up guy who also has his own construction business. I don't know of anyone who knows Scott and doesn't like him.

I hope that the state sends a special guest prosecutor down for this since Pacific county's prosecutor is no ball of fire and is best known for pleading cases down instead of having to try and get a conviction in court.

Martin A. "Marty" Jones is the accused gunman. He is believed to be a former bail bondsman in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. When trooper Scott Johnson was shot, he was in the process of impounding a van which belonged to Jones' wife.

From the Chinook Observer:

For the first time publicly, it was revealed that the woman arrested for driving while impaired before the shooting was Jones' wife Susan.

Judge Mike Sullivan reviewed details of the shooting in Pacific County Superior Court Tuesday before setting bail at $5 million.

Jones, 45, of Seaview, Wash., is being held at the Pacific County Jail. He is expected to be arraigned in the same court 1:30 p.m. Friday. He is charged with attempted murder and first-degree assault.

His wife, Susan M. Jones, was booked into the jail Tuesday afternoon on a charge of driving under the influence of intoxicants. Her bail is $25,000.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top